Right Through The Cracks

I am a 67 year old single woman and am tired of the upkeep and maintenance for my huge house (2500 sq ft Victorian on 1/4 acre lot - see photo). Two summers ago, I spent looking a senior housing in my area. What I found out that these facilities fall into two categories:
1) subsidized housing which are basically a 300 sq ft rooms with bed and bath and the residents cannot have over a $40K yearly income per person, no pets and
2) nice places, with one and two bedroom units with many amenities (most of which I likely wouldn't use) but are out of my affordability range ($5000 and up a month).
Back to square one.

Attachments

• front_exterior_1.jpg
    front_exterior_1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 20
Yes, it's an almost insurmountable problem for Boomers, no matter where one lives, but especially in high cost of living (HCOL) areas. A couple of my close family members are facing the same problem you are. Their kids (grown, married; one has kids while the other doesn't) are very worried about what's going to happen in the coming decade.

What's fine in your 60's and even your 70's, often doesn't work so well when you hit your 80's, unfortunately.

I was in a long discussion a couple of years ago on another website where many were vehement they would "stay forever" in their home, either remodeling or paying for home health aides.

Our cottage can't be retrofitted easily or attractively for Universal Access. We plan to move out and are currently researching senior living places. A lot of tough choices to make.

many were vehement they would "stay forever" in their home, either remodeling or paying for home health aides

I can't understand why so many feel this way. I'd like nothing better than to get somewhere where I didn't have to worry about maintenance. With my 122 year old house, there is ALWAYS something that needs fixing. The plumbing and wiring are so 19th century. I also noticed a soft spot on the backporch roof when I as cleaning out the rain gutters, so it would probably need extensive repairs to the wood as well and new roofing. Repairs just seem to snowball. One contractor even refused to get involved with me. He too one look at the house and said, quote, "I'm not opening THAT can of worms!" These young guys don't know how to fix old fixtures - they just want to work on homes 30 years old or newer with PVC pipes and grounded wiring.

That's why at this point I choose to live in a nondescript two bedroom apartment for approx. $700.00/month.

I'm still able to piece together the other amenities offered in most of the senior living facilities on my own for much less than the monthly fee of three to five thousand a month. The only thing missing is the social life that an independent living complex might be able to offer.

If you really want to go to assisted living, why not sell the house as is and use the proceeds to help fund your stay there? Presumably you have a fair amount of equity in your house.

You seem to be looking at one end of the spectrum and the other. Subsidized housing and assisted living. What about an apartment where you can have a pet or two, and you're within walking distance of town?

I wouldn't blame age or experience for people not wanting to "open that can of worms." Working on a falling down house is a thankless task that involves lots of change orders as new problems are uncovered. Not a happy situation for contractor or owner.

I am not sure if this is the direction you want to go, but hear me out. I live in a double wide mobile home. Have lived here over 35 years. The house is fully paid for. It suited Rick and I just fine. Now that I am alone again, I had a discussion with a trusted family member. We crunched numbers and felt it was in my financial best interest to stay here. My lot rent is only $508 a month. Much less than a nice senior apartment. I just pay utilities. A neighbor cuts my lawn and plows my drive for a nominal fee (read that as I buy him and his wife a couple of steaks or a roast a few times a year). I like my neighbors,
My sister in law (now a widow as my brother died) moved into an over 55 mobile home community after my brother died. She loves it. There is a rec center, which she loves as she is a very social person.
If you are looking to down size, how about selling the house and using the proceeds to buy a mobile home?

I can understand that the maintenance would be quite a problem on a place that large and that old. We have a ranch that is only 40 years old and we are starting to have maintenance problems.
I like Marie's suggestion about a mobile home. I've seen some of them and they are gorgeous. Everything built in and very low maintenance.
What I didn't care for was the senior housing. All that social stuff doesn't interest me. Seems to me everybody wants to know your business.

I can understand that the maintenance would be quite a problem on a place that large and that old. We have a ranch that is only 40 years old and we are starting to have maintenance problems.
I like Marie's suggestion about a mobile home. I've seen some of them and they are gorgeous. Everything built in and very low maintenance.
What I didn't care for was the senior housing. All that social stuff doesn't interest me. Seems to me everybody wants to know your business.
I agree with the social stuff. No, thanks. That is not a draw for me at all.

I agree with the social stuff. No, thanks. That is not a draw for me at all.
It wouldn't be for me either.

I have a ranch that was built in 1965 however it wasn't well-maintained or updated by the prior owners. I've spent a small fortune on repairs and remodeling. There is still more to do but my finances won't allow it now and maybe not ever. I'm starting to think about the feasibility of living here long-term. Senior housing doesn't appeal to me either. I wouldn't care much for the social stuff and would not avail myself of any of it. What I'd love to do is build a small one-story house (no basement, no attic) with just the basics... one bedroom, living room, eat-in kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, nice front porch and a garage. That would suit me perfectly.

I guess I'm lucky. We're the same age & my house is 6,100 sq. ft. I don't have a housekeeper or gardener. I can still do a decent job. I need the exercise anyway - I have diabetes & need to use up the extra sugar.

Now that I am alone again, I had a discussion with a trusted family member. We crunched numbers and felt it was in my financial best interest to stay here.

I know what you mean, Marie. All the flyers from the senior living places suggested to compare the upkeep on a house to what it would cost to live in their facilities. I think they assumed it would be less expensive to live in their places. Well, I did a comp and it would cost me 3 times what it would to live in my house (going by what I pay for utilities, insurance and maintenance).

My main concern is that I just I don't relish mowing the lawn in the spring and summer, mulching leaves (I have huge maple trees on my property) and cleaning out the gutters in the autumn, and shoveling snow in winter. In our community, the homeowners are responsible for removing snow from the public sidewalks that adjoin their property. That is an extra 50 feet of snow for me and being on the main street, once the plows go by at 40 miles an hour, they turn 6 inches of light fluffy powder into 3 feet of hard, impacted chunks! Of course people might say "Just don't shovel the public sidewalk," but there is a $50 a day fine for every day, once the snow has ended, if the sidewalk goes un-shoveled. No foolin' - here is our ordinance online:

http://www.villageofstillwaterny.org...idwalk_law.pdf

@debodun. That kind of sucks, paying a fine for now doing the public sidewalks.
Here in my community (the mobile homes) the park does the main roads, but we are responsible for our own property. Our driveways and lots are not huge. But that being said, I used to be able to do it myself, when I first moved here. But I am no longer able to, though I do shovel the ramp in front of the house best I can. I have a neighbor who mows my lawn and plows my drive. He has a riding mower. In my case, said neighbor just started doing it on his own without me asking. He does a few others in the street asa well. He refuses cash payment, but Rick and I often "paid" him 2-3 times a year by buying
him a couple good steaks
There are usually many in the neighborhood willing to help out ,

Last edited:
I'm stuck staying in my house until my pets die. Can't imagine dumping them on someone else. Just couldn't do that. That's my excuse anyway. I have a neighbor who acts like a feudal lord who would buy my house if and when I'm ready to go. He owns a junkyard emporium, seriously, and wants to control who moves into the neighborhood. Strange rural behavior. I wouldn't mind subsidized housing. Better than my son's windowless basement.

6,100 sq ft is huge, I wouldn't know what to do with it all, unless some family or friends lived with me. Then, it could be a lot of fun!

It used to be 2 separate houses on the same lot. We connected them. My sister lives in the smaller front section - separated by a wall. We entertain often in the larger rear section.

Old houses can quickly become a real "Money Pit"....few people are willing to invest the time and money required to bring them up to current standards.
Ya got that right. Copper re-pipe, new drain pipes, new supply pipe from the street, roof, sinks, faucets, toilets, electrical repairs, new air conditioners etc....over $200,000.00 so far. Paint & bathroom remodel coming up.....

My plumber got a new truck. He said to me, "Well...you might as well check it out 'cuz....let's face it....you bought it."

To me, "assisted" living implies "nursing home". There are many around here that tout themselves are beimg for "active" or "independent" seniors but even there, maintenance is included or not an issue.

Deb, there's a big difference between assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. No matter what you decide to do, you owe it to yourself to tour a few just to educate yourself. The snake pits of the 1980s and earlier are gone. The ones built since 2000 are more akin to cruise ships than hospitals.

Assisted living may not be in my top 10 of places to live, but it's not in the top 50 of places I never want to go. I've spent enough time in a couple of really good ones to see that they are nothing to fear.

Regarding sidewalk upkeep, I've never known any city or town to plow, clear or sweep sidewalks. Are there places where this is not so?

Last edited:
Ya got that right. Copper re-pipe, new drain pipes, new supply pipe from the street, roof, sinks, faucets, toilets, electrical repairs, new air conditioners etc....over $200,000.00 so far. Paint & bathroom remodel coming up.....

My plumber got a new truck. He said to me, "Well...you might as well check it out 'cuz....let's face it....you bought it."
Wow on your house, Win. How old is it?

I cannot imagine a 6100 SF house at this point in my life, even if partly shared with another person, but I bet it's a great place to have a big party!

We're in 2500 and I'm glad it's not any bigger. About 1/3 is only used when we have overnight guest. It's a mid-50s suburban build but we've repaired, remodeled and updated virtually everything since moving here 35 years ago - to the tune of at least $200K over the years, so I feel you on that one.

A house is a living, breathing organism. When people stop caring for them, they swiftly fall into disrepair. I've known three cases in which quite elderly friends and family members tried to save money by fixing things with duct tape, spit and baling wire during the last 10 years of their lives. Believe me, their places sure showed it.

Wow on your house, Win. How old is it?

I cannot imagine a 6100 SF house at this point in my life, even if partly shared with another person, but I bet it's a great place to have a big party!

We're in 2500 and I'm glad it's not any bigger. About 1/3 is only used when we have overnight guest. It's a mid-50s suburban build but we've repaired, remodeled and updated virtually everything since moving here 35 years ago - to the tune of at least $200K over the years, so I feel you on that one.

A house is a living, breathing organism. When people stop caring for them, they swiftly fall into disrepair. I've known three cases in which quite elderly friends and family members tried to save money by fixing things with duct tape, spit and baling wire during the last 10 years of their lives. Believe me, their places sure showed it.

It was built in 1953. It was physically built by the people we bought it from. The owner was a contractor & he designed it to withstand strong earthquakes. Whenever plumbers have had to work here, they always ask me "Who the heck built this house? I've never seen separate foundations for the bottom two floors & they are more than double thickness." Houses aren't built that way today; it's too costly. It's been through several 6.7 quakes with the epicenter 6 miles away with no damage.

win...we have a big house too...hubby built it - its on wooded acreage, and doesn't even seem big as its very open. We do have someone who mows though and have had for years. Think its great to have space and nature and privacy, as long as it doesn't overwhelm you with "have too's". It "pleasures us".

Back