Roof Leak

KingsX

It rained all day and this evening I noticed a stain on my ceiling... a roof leak.

I had planned to replace the aging roof next sping.... not in the dead of winter.

Hopefully a roofer can repair the leak and I can still wait until spring to replace the whole thing [not looking forward to it.]

Any advice / suggestions ??

Sorry for your roof troubles! Bad timing for sure. I wish you luck finding a roofer who can do a temporary repair....it's a possibility.....you sure don't want the water damage to spread. It's not a pleasant alternative, but can you get in your attic and find where the leak is coming through, and place some buckets? Would take frequent emptying during storms of course. Good luck.

I've called a couple of roofers. Hopefully one of them will come tomorrow to assess and fix the problem.

Meanwhile, I'm feeling guilty because I should have replaced the roof earlier this year... but hindsight is 20/20.

I feel for you. That's one of the reasons I bought a condo as I knew I could not afford things like that. Don't feel guilty as there were times I did the exact same thing when I owned a home and later regretted it. That's one reason I try to keep my car in good shape. It only has 26,000 original miles and is all I need as I don't drive long distances like I used to. I don't want to have to buy a new car which I never did anyway. I always worked at dealerships and bought demos at a good price!!

I feel for you. That's one of the reasons I bought a condo as I knew I could not afford things like that. Don't feel guilty as there were times I did the exact same thing when I owned a home and later regretted it. That's one reason I try to keep my car in good shape. It only has 26,000 original miles and is all I need as I don't drive long distances like I used to. I don't want to have to buy a new car which I never did anyway. I always worked at dealerships and bought demos at a good price!!

My house is too old, too big and needs a lot of updating.

I've thought about moving into a seniors' apartment complex.
But I value my independence and privacy too much... and
my garage. That may sound funny... but it is so convenient
to push a button to open the garage door, drive in, push the
button to close the garage door then walk five steps into
the house. First house I've owned with that perk.

Speaking of cars... I bought my 2004 Honda new and still
have less than 38,000 miles. That's because everything
I need or want is within a five mile driving distance...
another reason not to move.

It could be worse.

I have a friend who lives on Padre Island [Corpus Christi] who has had roof damage since Hurricane Harvey back in August.

It took time for her insurance to process and pay her claim. Now she is still waiting because roofers in the area are backlogged.

Meanwhile that side of her house is covered with some type of tarp during an especially rainy time.

We all have deferred maintenance on our homes, and a new roof is a major expense! No reason for guilt. Do what you can for now :rain:

Hail storms are common here in the Dallas area. Most homeowners here get new roofs paid by hail storm insurance.

But my roof was still in great condition after the last big hail storm... and there hasn't been another big hail storm in my neighborhood since.

Just my luck for another hail storm to hit right after I've paid for a new roof.

Just a tip.

The source of the leak on a roof is not where the water is coming in from usually. It's farther up the roof and finds its way to a weak spot.

The roofers should be able to give you a temporary fix and an estimate on the replacement.

Just a tip.

The source of the leak on a roof is not where the water is coming in from usually. It's farther up the roof and finds its way to a weak spot.

The roofers should be able to give you a temporary fix and an estimate on the replacement.

Thanks for the tip.

I hope you're right and they can temporarily fix it until spring. I understand it's not a good idea to replace a roof in winter.

We had ours done in early December a few years ago, and we're in Colorado. The job was complete in one long day, it wasn't too bad at all. Lots of neighbors were getting theirs done during that time due to severe hail damage that summer. As long as it's not actively snowing or raining, and the roof is not soaked when they begin work, I don't think there would be any issues....but I'm far from an expert, especially in your area.

Thanks for the tip.I hope you're right and they can temporarily fix it until spring. I understand it's not a good idea to replace a roof in winter.

I had the same problem last Fall...15 yr. old roof starting to leak and stain the ceiling. It's not a good idea to replace the roofing in colder weather, as the shingles need some Summer heat to seal down properly. I just went to the store and got 3 or 4 cans of Flex-Seal, and sprayed the area where the leak appeared to be coming from. That took care of the problem, temporarily, and then, this past April, I had a roofing company come over and strip the roof, replace the underlayment with good synthetic material, and new Owens Corning shingles. We've had several major rainstorms since, and the roof has shown no further problems. It was a substantial expense...$6,000...but the roofer gave me a nice discount because I picked up all the old roofing with my tractor/bucket, and deposited it all in the huge dumpster they brought....saved them a full days work.

Hi ..did you get your roof repairs yet ?

Thanks for asking.

Roofer did a temporary repair in that area [so far so good.]

My homeowners insurance company will pay for a new roof minus my deductible [hail damage.]

I'm [hopefully] waiting until March/April to put on the new roof.

I have another question.

Decades ago I had my former house reroofed twice with no incident.

This time around, roofers are telling me to be safe, I should remove things [pictures, etc] that are mounted on inside walls.

Is this really necessary? I've never had to do that before. But this will be the first time I've re-roofed this specific house [pier and beam ranch-style house built in 1967.]

My neighbor recently had her roof replaced... so I asked her and she said her roofer said nothing about removing anything from inside walls.

I have another question.

Decades ago I had my former house reroofed twice with no incident.

This time around, roofers are telling me to be safe, I should remove things [pictures, etc] that are mounted on inside walls.

Is this really necessary? I've never had to do that before. But this will be the first time I've re-roofed this specific house [pier and beam ranch-style house built in 1967.]

My neighbor recently had her roof replaced... so I asked her and she said her roofer said nothing about removing anything from inside walls.
Had mine done twice, I don't think a roofing nail gun would cause stuff to fall..dunno.gif

I have been doing roofing and interior remodeling for 30 years..and have never heard of that..i can only assume it was to make sure that pictures didnt fall due to pounding on the roof

If you or anyone that you know..has had a bad experience with a contractor. .or need something as small as a light bulbs changed. Safety handles in shower.door ways. Made larger. .anything to help make life easier. .i know if a small company ..helping is the goal..and very reasonable prices.

Unless you have valuable pictures or paintings. And you feel that they aren't properly hung...i wouldn't be concerned. .perhaps usa a different contractor.

Have you considered a steel roof ? The cost is about the same,most likely less.with 30 shingles you'll get roughly 25 years.opposed to 3 times that with steel,and no repairs or worries. This also insulates your home better.shingles require nails. .steel only uses screws..is very durable. And fast to install

Thanks for the information :)

I admit the roofers have me paranoid.

I'm very careful to strongly anchor wall hangings... and I have lots of them.

If the roofers could make those fall down, they could also be damaging the house structure itself.

.Thanks for the information :)I admit the roofers have me paranoid.I'm very careful to strongly anchor wall hangings... and I have lots of them.If the roofers could make those fall down, they could also be damaging the house structure itself.

I wouldn't worry about roofers rattling the walls...unless a house is so flimsy that a strong gust of wind shakes the walls. When we had our roof done, there were 4 big guys up there stomping around with pitchforks and blade scrapers, tearing everything off down to the bare wood. It was a bit noisy inside, but no big deal. Then, when installing the new roofing, they used pneumatic nailers...and again, a bit noisy, but not problems. We have gobs of pictures on the walls, and even an old antique German cuckoo clock on one wall, and Nothing was disturbed.

Just hire a contractor with a good reputation, and let them do their thing.

Just an update.

I had a new roof put on last month. There were at least half a dozen workers
plus a couple of overseers who did it all [2222 sq ft ranch house] in one day !!
My insurance company paid all but my deductible. So far so good !

I'm glad that's over !

Back