Roof Leak

It depends on how well the pictures have been hung.

It's safer to take them down instead of having them fall and break the glass and having to have them reframed.

Really how many pictures are there?

Just an update.

I had a new roof put on last month. There were at least half a dozen workers
plus a couple of overseers who did it all [2222 sq ft ranch house] in one day !!
My insurance company paid all but my deductible. So far so good !

I'm glad that's over !

Glad you got it taken care of. I'm surprised that your insurance company paid for a new roof, though. It has been my understanding that they "prorate" and consider the age of the roof being replaced. (So if the roof is half the expected life, the insured would receive only half of the cost of replacement.)

We had a roof replacement due to hail years ago; it was covered by our insurance but our house was only 4 months old at the time.

Last month, the folks across the street were getting a new roof. The old shingles were torn off, new underlayment went down and then BAM! everybody disappeared and it was three weeks before the new shingles went on. The new shingles were sitting on the roof the whole time. I never found out what happened. Maybe they got stopped because no permit was pulled or a check bounced? Who knows.

The roof on the first house my late husband and I owned back in the early 1970's started leaking about a year after we bought it. The roofers came and tore the roof off and found out that there were four layers of shingles on the house. It's a wonder the house didn't collapse - lol. It passed a VA inspection somehow and we were too dumb and new to home ownership to question anything. What the roofer said was probably the original cedar shingles were still on the roof (the house was built in 1923). When they ripped them off, the whole neighborhood smelled like cedar. I gathered up as many as I could and paneled a wall in the basement with them.

Glad you got it taken care of. I'm surprised that your insurance company paid for a new roof, though. It has been my understanding that they "prorate" and consider the age of the roof being replaced. (So if the roof is half the expected life, the insured would receive only half of the cost of replacement.)

We had a roof replacement due to hail years ago; it was covered by our insurance but our house was only 4 months old at the time.

The roof that was replaced was about 22 years old.

I have a really old Allstate policy... same policy I had on my previous older house which paid for two roofs minus my deductible.
I think it pays better than some of the newer policies... but it probably cost more too.

Back