Ruben.

IKE

I must have been a good little boy this past weekend because when mama got home from work today she asked if I'd like to go to the deli for a Ruben for supper tonight......her treat !

I always get the Ruben but tell them to hold the sauerkraut and cheese......all I want on the sammich is toasted rye bread, corned beef and brown mustard with a side of coleslaw.ruben.jpg

History of Reuben Sandwich:

"There are a couple of legends or stories involving the creation of the Reuben Sandwich. I can find no actual evidence to support either claim. You be the judge"!

A Reuben can be whatever you make it to be.:p

Reuben-Sandwich2.jpg

We went out to lunch last week and I ordered a Ruben. Server came back and said they didn't have Rye bread or sauerkraut, they could make one using a bun and no sauerkraut. Said no thanks, these folks must not know what a Ruben is.

Hard to find good Reubens out here. Not a popular sammie.

We'll take corned beef or pastrami. Sliced thin, layered and pressed down tight. Dark pumpernickel rye, lightly buttered, medium toasted.

Barrel-cured sauerkraut, fine shred, RINSED. Double layer of Swiss or Emmentaler. Russian dressing, and not the bottled stuff.

Sooooo goood...............!

We get absolute abominations of Reubens out here. One butcher shop/cafe gave us a "Reuben" on a puffy fat bread roll with coarsely shredded coleslaw, Thousand Island AND horseradish mustard slathered on both sides of the roll. What a waste of good pastrami, sigh.

Back