Runner's High I.e., Endorphin Release

Damaged Goods

Experts have listed a dozen or so triggers of endorphin release from the pituitary gland, e.g., chocolate, hot red peppers, and sex, but the consensus seems to be that aerobic exercise and heavy lifting provide the best triggers.

I've been active all my life, playing sports, decades of weight training, and just about every form of cardio, but have never experienced any kind of runner's high, buzz, or "second wind."

Maybe I was given a faulty pituitary.:unsure:

Every time I exercise, I look for that "endorphin release" or that "high" people talk about. I've never felt it.
The only thing I get is hungry.

Back when our small town fitness center was open I used to attend most of the classes- Yoga, Silver Sneakers, various cardio and "circuit" classes. Getting my activity level way up definately would make me feel "pumped" and exhilarated....that is the endorphin "high".

The only thing I get is hungry.

For me the reverse is true, it usually takes at least a couple hours after I work out that I feel any kind of desire to eat. I do fix a protein drink and consume it within an hour or so after exercise, as that is part of the current wisdom for promoting muscle growth.

Back when our small town fitness center was open I used to attend most of the classes- Yoga, Silver Sneakers, various cardio and "circuit" classes. Getting my activity level way up definately would make me feel "pumped" and exhilarated....that is the endorphin "high".

For me the reverse is true, it usually takes at least a couple hours after I work out that I feel any kind of desire to eat. I do fix a protein drink and consume it within an hour or so after exercise, as that is part of the current wisdom for promoting muscle growth.

I never felt hungry directly after running, either.

I live in the rural area without good places for running; therefore, I use the indoor stepper. After 200-300 steps, I feel a “second breath” and could walk for long time. As I understand, a second breath is related to endorphin release and the breathing center adaptation to hypoxia.
After my full body workouts, I do not feel that.

Last edited:
Hi Nathan,
There are a lot of trees, thorny shrubs and bushes around my house. Yes, I have a narrow two way hwy without sidewalks close to my house. I have never seen any runners or bicyclists on it.

Back