Safety standards of the 60s?

A comedian (Carrot Top) put that in one of his routines. He described how a mom will put her arm in front of their child when braking & said, "Thanks, mom. That arm kept me from going through the windshield."

I watched “Seinfeld” one evening when Kramer made that move with George’s mom in the passenger seat. She told her husband that Kramer stopped short with her in the passenger seat. I guess the reference was that it was a makeout move or an opportunity to cop a feel.

Either way, George’s dad went off and said Kramer copping a feel was a move that he invented. Pretty funny.

I can remember many car rides without seat belts. When my parents bought their first car with belts, they came as a paid option, not standard, and were strictly lap belts only without any upper body restraints. Of course, there were fewer cars on the road then, and people tended to drive more sensibly...

7028bafb16cd36e3d2bdb5ac4461836b.jpg
1565351481163.jpeg

I watched “Seinfeld” one evening when Kramer made that move with George’s mom in the passenger seat. She told her husband that Kramer stopped short with her in the passenger seat. I guess the reference was that it was a makeout move or an opportunity to cop a feel.

Either way, George’s dad went off and said Kramer copping a feel was a move that he invented. Pretty funny.

I remember that happening to a lot of girls when I was a teenager. 😉

Yeah, I remember when those damned do-gooders started with seat belts. I hated to wear that belt. I knew how to drive. Didn't need no belt. Well, that was years ago, and today, it feels strange NOT wearing my seat belt. I can't believe what a jackass I was to resit wearing them.

I'm impressed with such honesty. It's surprising how many people don't like seat belts because they think it implies they don't know how to drive. It's not really complicated to realize the seat belt protects them from other bad drivers.

I'm impressed with such honesty. It's surprising how many people don't like seat belts because they think it implies they don't know how to drive. It's not really complicated to realize the seat belt protects them from other bad drivers.
There are far more cars on the road these days and more reckless drivers. More cars means more hold-ups...more lost tempers..more speeding....more collisions.

1960's baby walkers...

Babysat for a neighbour who's son took a tumble down the stairs in one and miraculously emerged unscathed.

These have been banned in Canada for years.

5cd6a2692400003100749634.jpeg

Safety had to be enforced on businesses decades ago. Recall all the polluted steams and rivers. America made a ton of junk products because profit was king. It wasn't until Japan began to import their cars and other items did America wake up to the idea quality is king. My dad told me a story of when he was working with the Japanese on construction projects and a Japanese engineer said to him, "America taught how to rebuild after the war and now we are teaching America how to build things." I spent my working career in quality assurance in several industries and I have a list of stories about quality and the refusal to adhere to it to write a book.

It seems like, back in the day, the thinking was "You are responsible for your safety and that of others. Don't you be reckless or stupid". These days it's "They (government, business) are responsible for everybody's safety. Be as reckless an stupid as you want, and when anything goes wrong ... blame them".

There's probably some rational middle ground.

I don't think it was the government that was driving force behind increase safety. I think it was lawyers and insurance companies. Losing big liability cases against a rich corporation hurts both the corp. , and their insurers. To get reasonable insurance rates, corporations had to invest in increasing safety. I think Tommy is right. There really wasn't an emphasis on safety. If you fell out the door, well ,you should have held on tighter. But when the law suits start pilling up.....................

I can remember many car rides without seat belts. When my parents bought their first car with belts, they came as a paid option, not standard, and were strictly lap belts only without any upper body restraints. Of course, there were fewer cars on the road then, and people tended to drive more sensibly...
Yes, I think seat belts have given people a false sense of security.

I've seen the ugly chair in the corner of a room but that is a bit extreme. Of course the world has always had a large number of idiots since recorded time. I love watching youtube Idiot Equipment operators. You see some things there that are just unbelievable. After watching a few videos you can understand why deposits and insurance is so high on leased equipment. ;0)

Back