Sauce for lobster ravioli??

chic

SF VIP
What type of sauce should be served on lobster ravioli? I've never had lobster ravs before. But I may buy some and serve it to company. Maybe an Afredo sauce would be good?? Something creamy like that? What do you think?

I would like browned butter on those, or a very light and fresh tomato sauce. I wouldn't want anything strong enough to fight with the delicate taste of lobster. No cheese, either. But people have their own preferences.

A. Infuse extra virgin olive oil with some fresh crushed chopped garlic, basil, and sea salt (in other words, let it sit long enough to flavor the garlic oil). Drizzle over the ravioli and then sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese and roasted pine nuts on top. A teensy amount of ground pepper if you want.

B. Whole Foods occasionally has a prepared fresh warm clam chowder (the white kind) at their "Hot Bar". I buy a small container of that and drizzle that all over the lobster ravioli. If you happen to have some white wine on hand you can pour a smidgen of that into the clam chowder to spiffy it up a bit but use a wine you that tastes really good (not just any ol' kitchen wine...and very little)

C. Some people buy "Vodka Sauce" in a jar (light orange color) but I don't think that would be as good as if you made it yourself from scratch. Drizzle that over the lobster ravioli and sprinkle a little chopped fresh parsley on top. I think Vodka Sauce is similar to Holly Dolly's idea above.

D. A fresh pesto sauce would be very similar to "A." and maybe thin it down with some olive oil. You can buy pesto already made but be wary of Trader Joe's brand because it's wayyyy too salty...unless they've fixed that problem in the past year.

This is a tough one because the pasta and the lobster are two different ingredients, so the sauce can either compliment or be a bust.

I would lean to the lobster side of things because it is the stronger taste.

I think a seafood sauce right off the shelf would do the trick. Or you could have two sauces on the same plate.

Why not put the sauces out and let the guests pick the one they like?

I like the Alfredo idea.

I have an old cookbook. Here's a recipe for a Tartare Sauce if you want to be a bit more daring.

Combine 1 cup Mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon grated onion, 1 tablespoon minced dill pickle, 1 teaspoon minced parsley and 1 teaspoon chopped pimento.

I think a choice of sauces would be more fun.

Serve with Red Wine and send me an invitation.

Do tell us what you decide on. I am extremely interested in sauces.

I was googling around and discovered the best choice is either a lemon butter cream sauce which sounds nice or:

An alfredo sauce.

I want to stay away from tomatoes because when I was a kid my relatives used to serve lobster drowned in tomato sauce and I just hated it. The tomato taste ruined the lobster so you you couldn't even taste it in there. So it will be a light creamy sauce for me.

The sauce can make or break the meal. :eek:nthego:

Back