Sayings that are no longer relevant.

Yes, that's true.
I was thinking, however, that many people now do most or even all of their shopping, online, 24/7. Some of the present (even young and very able-bodied and healthy ) people seem to have everything delivered, that they order online, instead of spending the time in stores, that was once a usual activity and major part of everyone's daily or weekly lives.
Yep. I never liked shopping anyway. Covid 19 has been a great excuse to avoid this and I'll never go back!

My grands say "roll down the window" though they've probably never seen a hand cranked car window. TBH, I still say it, too.

Almost everyone says "hang up the phone" though few have wall phones to hang a receiver on.
Actually, windows still "roll down" even though they're electric.

This got me thinking...is there a different way to say "hang up" when you're on a cell phone? Disconnect the phone? Get off the phone? Close the phone? Hang up seems the only logical thing to say!

Last edited:
Actually vinyl is making a big comeback.
My son deejays using digital equipment but still has his turntables. He said there's nothing like vinyl. He and his constituent deejays had an all vinyl dance party about 5 years ago. The venue was packed and the three generations of us party goers had a great time. My son is known as a master deejay and he spun several different genres. One of his Hispanic partners spun Latin music, one of my favorite genres) and the other deejays spun in their favorite genres. Their fans are clammering for another such event and it was being planned, then COVID hit.
@Pecos NICE wasn't there that night.

Bring me a "church key"...

(the handy, dandy bottle-cap opener...before twist-off caps)😊
Haven’t heard that term in so long I forgot about it. I remember some kids in school thought it was so cool to carry their own personal “church key”. Didn’t take much to consider oneself daring in those days.

in response to post — “I pledge allegiance to the flag …. Etc.” Can today’s American children say this by heart the way we did every morning in school? Does it have meaning to them ?
(seriously asking, I really don’t know)

My sisters first job out of high school was an operator at the phone company.
Our phone did not have a dial, you picked up the handset and told the operator what number you wanted.
Cars did not have directional signals (trafficators). The brand new Chevrolet that my father bought in 1937 for $700 did not have a radio, the heater was extra and it only had one tail light.

Back