School subjects---

Math in general. Algebra in particular, and the dreaded story problems about trains leaving stations at different times and speeds, etc., and the ones about how old is your grandmother if your aunt Hattie is twice as old as little Archie and your mother is 2 years younger than your father. AAARGH!

Latin. Why did I have to take it? I did OK, all B’s, but didn’t like it. I would have really had issues if I had taken Latin II. That’s when they got into using different forms of verbs, etc. I had no interest in becoming anything in a medical profession, so I wanted out. My school offered French and Spanish, but I thought that I didn’t need either of them as well.

Latin....for me, too. The school only offered Latin and Spanish, and I opted for Latin...which, was largely a waste of time. When I joined the USAF, and went to Germany for 4 years, I picked up German well enough to communicate freely with the locals. In hindsight, I probably should have taken Spanish, so I could understand what the "immigrants" are saying at Walmart.

I hated wood shop. I did OK, but it was the worse part of my schooldays, even though we only had it twice a week.

English. The grammar stuff. Diagramming sentences. Past participles, prepositions, etc. Hated it.

Then when we got to 10th grade we got to read literature. That was much better.

Except for when we had to read Beowulf.

That sucked.

I will throw in with those who said HS algebra. Like Aunt Bea I had no trouble getting the right answer. It was the show your work requirement that ran me up on the rocks and shoals. Our teacher seemed to think we all were going to be up there at the board with John von Neumann writing equations in a formal academic setting.

Did fine with algebra in college though.

Back