Selling Religion At My Front Door

Vixen, I too am an agnostic, but it took me awhile to get there. What I couldn't figure out was 144,000 that get to go to heaven. I would think that number had come and gone. :dunno:

Those are the governing body, that will rule with Christ in heaven.. I have forgotten so much. If you don't practice something you forget, and it has been 34 yrs. They do believe the earth will be turned back into a peaceful paradise that it was intended to be in the beginning. and will reside here. I did know though that one of the Gov body was disfellowshipped, when he questioned a date that they pretty much based everything on, and then wrote his own book..A Crisis of Conscience. They discourage members from reading it, but after I left, I did read it, very interesting.

Ina, I do believe in God, just not their way anymore.

I withdraw everything I said. Of course they were Mormans. I never met Jehovah nor any of his witnesses. Never engaged them in conversastion. They never rode down my street nor entered into my house. I was totally confused and on top of all that, I was out of town when it happened. No, sir, officer it wasn't me. But I saw them. They went that a way. Okay, so you go me, but the firing squad at twenty paces is a little stiff, don't you think?

I no longer answer the door to anyone that I don't know. Many years ago a couple from some church (JW, I think) tried to force their way into my house. I respect anyone's rights to their beliefs but I don't want to be "converted" by anyone. These people stuck their foot in my door so I couldn't close it and that made me angry. I had a miniature poodle at the time and he turned great protector and grabbed the foot which was rapidly removed from my door, which I slammed shut. That was the last time I've opened my door to those people. I hate to be unfriendly, but...

I had a next door neighbor who belonged to some church that didn't celebrate holidays. She was very nice and never tried to convert me and we got along fine.

I withdraw everything I said. Of course they were Mormans. I never met Jehovah nor any of his witnesses. Never engaged them in conversastion. They never rode down my street nor entered into my house. I was totally confised and on top of all that, I was out of town when it happened. No, sir, officer it was me. But I saw them. They went that a way.

Drifter, Are you loosing it? :tapfoot:

Well, this morning brought another pair of Jehovah's Witnesses ringing my bell and knocking at my door. I usually give these people the 'bum's rush', because I found that for all the times I tried to be polite and tell them that I wasn't interested, they would take it as a green light to come at me full force.

I have nothing against the Jehovah's Witnesses, if they're happy with their beliefs, more power to them. What I don't like is people trying to sell me on their religions or convert me, regardless of what they may be. I remember as a young child, my mother going through the same thing, only she usually didn't even answer the door.

This morning's encounter was short and sweet I have to say though. One of them pointed at my small 'no solicitors' sign on the door, and asked if that included Jehovah's Witnesses. I told him yes, and smiled. We both wished each other a good day, and they went on their merry way. :eek:nthego:
What I don't quite like is the fact that even after you tell them that you attend church and have been saved they still try to push their reading materials on you. Like maybe they don't buy that you're saved. I've had several do that to me in the past. I usually ask them nicely to keep their materials for someone whose not saved for they would need it more. What else can you do? I had parents that would hide from them. There would be a knock at the door and my mother would shut the lights off and come running into my room and turn the lights off while whispering the Jehovah's were at the door and to be quiet. :LOL:

If you make it clear from the first time they arrive at your door, they mark you down as a place to not bother with. Without being mean or rude, I make it quite obvious that I don’t want them returning.

Don’t bother with excuses or reasons why they’re not welcome. “No thank you!”. And close the door firmly, no slam needed.

The Jehovah's Witnesses used to come by 2 or 3 times a year. I politely told them we weren't interested, but they still came by. Then, about 5 years ago, they stopped by while I was working outdoors and feeling kind of ornery. I began to engage them in a long conversation about everything "religious", and kept them going for over an hour. Finally, they started getting kind of nervous...I suspect they were needing to drain their bladders. They finally said they had to leave, and drove up the road fairly fast....and haven't been back since.

I'm not religious but I'm never unfriendly to those who are "Spreading the Word." They think they're doing something wonderful & that's OK with me. Sometimes I find them rather amusing & entertaining.
A few months ago, I was on a walk in a large park nearby & a guy & his huge Great Dane approached me & asked me if I could feel Jesus' love. Well, I didn't want to answer honestly & say, "No, but I can feel your dog's love." Since I love dogs & I just had to pet his dog, I let him preach for a few minutes. I was surprised that he couldn't tell I was just pretending to listen to him so I could have fun with his dog.
I guess that means I "used" him. I better repent. :ROFLMAO:

I believe the usual 20 something year old clean cut helmet wearing Schwinn bicycle riding young men are Mormons. Don't quote me, jus sayin. As for the Jehovah Witnesses recruiters when I was in elementary school in Brooklyn a girl came to our 4th grade class in the middle of the year which is tough for kids relocating to a school with 50% Jewish and 49% African American population who pretty much co-existed and 1% Puerto Rican who the Jewish and Afro American population watched all of them all the time and knew where they were all the time. Anyway this girl turned out to be a Jehovah's Witness and as such wouldn't join us in the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. Well she incurred the wrath of the Afro American girls who were class conscience because she was very fair skinned and the Jewish girls despised her because she looked too much like them. All of us boys Jewish, Afro American alike and the 3 Puerto Rican boys were pissed as all get out because even scruffs like us knew the way she not only dressed but carried herself that we had as much a chance having the privilege of carrying her school books as a nickel dropped in a quarter slot would get us a candy bar. 5 out of 5 days a week everybody would run her off and that was a good day for her to outrun us. On other days she was not so lucky. One day our teacher told us that she wouldn't be coming back to school and even as hateful as we finally realized that we were just because she was different we stooped to an intolerable mindset of hate and prejudice. From that day until today I swore and vowed never to stoop to that level of sickness ever again so when the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Mormons or any and everybody that doesn't appear to be a threat I may not always answer the door but when I do I remember the day's when GOD loved us in spite of our close minded hate for those who don't share our beliefs. Only our Lord GOD is fit to judge man for it was his Begotten son Jesus Christ not with Gestas and Dismas but he himself who wore the crown of thorns not with man but for man.

Last edited:
mmm, 6 yr. old thread, alot of forums would call replying a "necro post", lol. It's OK, all the sox and underware in my drawers is still the same.

In this rural town everyone has their property fenced. We keep the gate shut and locked, don't need dogs, drifters and meth-heads slithering in.

One time a couple JW ladies got in right to our front door. Had a polite talk, gave them 20 minutes to have their say. I tell them simply that I am Christian, and am happy and secure in my faith.

mmm, 6 yr. old thread, alot of forums would call replying a "necro post", lol. It's OK, all the sox and underware in my drawers is still the same.

In this rural town everyone has their property fenced. We keep the gate shut and locked, don't need dogs, drifters and meth-heads slithering in.

One time a couple JW ladies got in right to our front door. Had a polite talk, gave them 20 minutes to have their say. I tell them simply that I am Christian, and am happy and secure in my faith.
Just wait 'til I tell Ronni how you spelled socks and underwear.

The only time I have been rude to them was when they knocked on my door on Christmas Day...telling me it wasn't Jesus's birthday. I told them we were not celebrating his birthday, we were celebrating his birth. They didn't seem to understand the difference.

I could tell you all about some of their beliefs first hand ...due to being married to one of them
(He joined after we got married ) but I won’t waste your time or mine ........ :cautious: :cautious:

Lets just say they are hypocrites to the very full extent , my ex has been deceased for 20+ years however he married three times after i divorced him ,in 1974 he was single when he died as far as I know
No wife or partner was seen or mentioned at his funeral ( I took the youngest kids to the funeral )

Last edited:
There were some Jehovah Witnesses that came to the door one Christmas which pissed me off. Our son was little and we were having our own Christmas morning celebration when they intruded. I wondered if they wanted a peek at what all the fuss was about or if they thought, everybody is home today, let's go witnessing. If someone is celebrating Christmas, don't they have a clue that you aren't looking to convert to their particular religion?

We used to have some neighbors who joined any church that offered them free stuff. They would go to meetings until the people stopped giving them things. They've been in a variety of religions through the years, taking advantage of all those do gooders.

Having been brought up in an evangelical religion, I generally avoid them like the plague.

Rather than throwing them off his property, a friend of mine invited a couple of young Mormons into his house, and had a long conversation with them. Eventually their supervisor came looking for them. Judging from his attitude, it was clear that Mr. Supervisor was none too happy about his young charges being exposed to non-Mormon ideas. They never returned.

I always invited them in, had them sit down, gave them a drink, water, and we sat and talked and talked and talked. I mean it’s not like I could not spare the time. It’s not like it cost me anything. Any religious group that came to the door was welcome. After a while, I saw them on my street, but they never came to my door anymore. 😂

There was a young woman where I worked, who would proselytize in the lunch room every day. She told us we were all going to Hell if we didn't convert and follow Jehovah. She was quite rabid about it. After awhile, we all took our lunches outside to eat, to avoid her. It was the same with the JW's who solicited door-to-door - they would not listen to us, or respect anyone else's religious choice, and tried to convert us. We ended up not answering the door anymore.

I found the Seventh Day Adventist's to be rather pleasant .. not pushy or forsaking like the Jehovah's Witnesses. While in Adelaide, a couple of young men came to the door, and I was painting. They were more interested in hearing about Canada than proselytizing. They even offered to help me paint.

There was a young woman where I worked, who would proselytize in the lunch room every day. She told us we were all going to Hell if we didn't convert and follow Jehovah. She was quite rabid about it. After awhile, we all took our lunches outside to eat, to avoid her. It was the same with the JW's who solicited door-to-door - they would not listen to us, or respect anyone else's religious choice, and tried to convert us. We ended up not answering the door anymore.
I like the JW, we discussed the scripture and I remember something in the Bible about where there are three people who meet and discuss GOD, then he is there. To me we all chose a religion, or not, that suits us as individuals. Meets our wants and needs. IMO.

I like the JW, we discussed the scripture and I remember something in the Bible about where there are three people who meet and discuss GOD, then he is there. To me we all chose a religion, or not, that suits us as individuals. Meets our wants and needs. IMO.
It sounds as though the Witnesses you were in touch with, had more open minds. Those I've met, didn't .. it was, either follow Jehovah - or end up in Hell.

Back