Senior Female Fitness

MsFox

Independent Thinker
I am curious how many of you senior ladies have regular exercise routines? The reason I am starting a thread focused on senior women, is because if we study the female muscle before menopause, it is a lot more pliable, because of estrogen, than the post menopausal muscle lower in estrogen. Tearing muscles is a lot easier post menopausal and more stretching is necessary because of reduced estrogen.

While the biggest reason I hear for senior post menopausal women exercising, is weight lost. I want to present a different approach that I think has been over shadowed because of the big profits in weight loss. That is focusing on measure rather than the scales. Measure and weigh yourself, then start a routine focused on abs, hips, and legs. Beside target exercises in the gym or at home, walking is paramount, even if on a walker. It is necessary to keep our cardio healthy, but cardio exercise alone won't get rid of very much unhealthy fat.

Since fat can convert indirectly into muscle with exercise, then perhaps one gets discouraged because the scales indicates little progress. This false idea that little weight loss is a sign that the exercise routine isn't effective, leads many to give it up and turn to fad diets, pills, or just give up completely.

In most cases, even in someone of a thinner build, belly fat is the number one issue. Belly fat is the most dangerous fat for women, especially seniors.

When I started using measure as my weekly guide and the scales only once a month, I could see what exercises were doing me the most good to regain my lost strength and energy. While my weight at age 60 of 202 lbs, only dropped back to 160 lbs at age 65, my waist of 36," dropped to 27." That is a 42 lbs lost and an amazing 9" off my waist. There was nothing easy about it and required target exercises.

I am interested in hearing all you ladies stories. I don't have any advice other than I think progress is better assessed using a tape measure than scales. We all face a different set of medical issues and have different body types that negate the idea there is one ideal weight for height or one ideal body type by measures.

EDITED: To clarify

Last edited:
Hey @MsFox, you are really doing well. Congrats!

Not a lady, but I do see a number of women at the gym, some well into their 80s. I am always impressed, and sometimes a big embarrassed by their performance.
I agree with much of what you said but fat and muscle are entirely different, one never changes into the other.
I agree, exercise can build muscle but fat loss can only come from a calorie deficit. Exercise does burn calories so it can help, but not so much as many believe.

I agree, exercise can build muscle but fat loss can only come from a calorie deficit. Exercise does burn calories so it can help, but not so much as many believe.
Actually the OP stated "fat can convert to muscle with exercise", which isn't the case. We can burn fat as energy and we can loose fat but fat can never turn into muscle. And a lack of exercise doesn't make your muscles turn into fat.

Perfect example is people become discouraged with weight lifting because they don't loose weight, they may actually gain weight due to increased muscle mass. You can also gain or lose muscle mass and still maintain the same percentage of body fat.

I see plenty of women at the gym in the over sixty category who are fit, it takes a good balance of a healthy diet and exercise, and consistency of both.

I always say the same thing when someone talks about getting fit. The very first step begins at the grocery store, you must eat healthy and not over eat, then focus on being as active as you can.

I am ALMOST 80 years, living in the same house for 40 years, currently with "Flash, the dog", diagnosed with diabetes @ 18/19 years. (a life changing event - ie no junk food, no fast food, no sugar, minimal salt, more fresh vegetables, less meat and daily exercise.)

The old adage: "you can never be rich enough or thin enough" was my mantra for 75 years. Now I am happy with my weight. (108 to 110 lb @ 5 ft 2 inches and shrinking)

- "stretches" daily (or when I think of it.) I can still touch the floor without bending my knees, no back pain and/or stiffness.

- adopt a dog - the main reasons are:
the requirement to walk 2 to 3 miles/day in ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS;
the perfect house mate - love my cooking (no left overs in his bowl) ;
security (he barks and body slams the door when strangers ring the door bell; he knows when relatives or friends ring the door bell

My wife and I have been lifelong fans of dancing, as in, Latin & Ballroom, but we have a number of other dances under our belts too. Dance has kept us reasonably fit and active. When you have a love for dance you find yourself practising, rehearsing, choreographing and competing. And if time permits, a little teaching too. It keeps us trim, it's a good ice breaker and we have a wonderful circle of good friends that we have made through dance.

Exercise is a great thing, but unless you are an elite athlete who literally burns thousands of calories a day doing something athletic, it’s not a great way to lose weight.

You can’t outrun your diet. Control of the amount of food and even more important the quality of the food we eat is far more important. Some foods spike our insulin output. Insulin is known as ‘fat fertilizer’. I used the program in Always Hungry to lose 25 pounds and 4 inches years ago. It worked for me, and it may work for you. We’re all different. It feels good to be stronger today, than you were three months ago.

Of course, I am all in favor of senior female fitness. If she’s stronger than me, all the better. I dated a gymnast in high school who was incredibly strong. That was a lot of fun. Alas, it did not last. Oh well, if I knew then what I know now………

I guess I should have been more in depth with my statement of how fat converts into muscle. It isn't a direct conversion, but a process that I didn't want to get to technical about. That wasn't the purpose of my starting this thread.

The fat is burned with exercise and the exercise builds muscle, is correct keeping it simple. Fat is one of the ingredients in the body producing energy. Burning calories with pills or changing your diet to a very low calorie count, isn't a healthy way for senior women to lose weight.

It isn't about limiting calories, but rather burning them for energy to build muscle.

My point was that one can burn fat to lose weight with various diets and medications, but if that fat is burned using exercise, building muscle, then one may not see the same weight loss, but their measures will reflect a healthier process. I advocate the tape measure over the scales. With measures, one can see where the fat is coming off.

Last edited:
My point was that one can burn fat to lose weight with various diets and medications, but if that fat is burned using exercise, building muscle, then one may not see the same weight loss, but their measures will reflect a healthier process. I advocate the tape measure over the scales. With measures, one can see where the fat is coming off.
You are right of course, if you are eating at a maintenance level and then start exercising you will lose fat and probably a little weight without reducing calories. Not real fast, but it will happen. I think that is the best way to do it, and as you say trading fat for muscle is really good for anyone, but us seniors especially.

I'll say it again, your stats are very impressive, good for you!

I guess I should have been more in depth with my statement of how fat converts into muscle. It isn't a direct conversion, but a process that I didn't want to get to technical about. That wasn't the purpose of my starting this thread.

The fat is burned with exercise and the exercise builds muscle, is correct keeping it simple. Fat is one of the ingredients in the body producing energy. Burning calories with pills or changing your diet to a very low calorie count, isn't a healthy way for senior women to lose weight.

It isn't about limiting calories, but rather burning them for energy to build muscle.

I absolutely agree.

MsFox congratulations on your weight loss and decreased measurements. I know how hard it is to lose weight for senior women or even just maintain a healthy weight.

I do try to maintain an exercise schedule although stuff happens and throws my schedule off. I love to do the aqua fitness classes at the YMCA pool. You not only get a good water resistance workout and toning, it's a great social activity. I feel that is an important component to having a consistent routine.

I feel the best fitness routines include cardio, strength training and a good stretching program. If you can be consistent with all three you will be healthy throughout the rest of your life.

Don't have one but I sure need one! I've gotten too sedentary, especially since COVID. I used to go to Planet Fitness but cancelled my membership shortly before the pandemic. My son has a membership that allows him to bring guests so I was thinking of asking to take me to the one he goes to at least once a month (with his busy schedule, once a week is out of the question). I always felt so good after my workouts.

I've worked out at Planet Fitness 3 times a week for the past 5 years. I can attest to the fact that I haven't lost a single pound or inch, but I'm much stronger and fit than most people I know in their middle 70s. I have no arthritis except for maybe a little in my knees but I still use the leg press trying to keep my knees from getting worse. It is said that exercise delays the effects of arthritis and so far my knees don't bother me at all except for going down (not up for some reason) stairs.

I really wish exercise would help me lose weight or inches, but after 5 years I realize that's not going to happen for me. So I just work out to stay strong and mobile.

It’s simple: To lose fat you have to create a calorie deficit.

To build muscle you have to engage in strength training/weight lifting/resistance exercises.

Muscle tissue weighs more than fat

The more muscle you have the more calories it takes to maintain that muscle at rest.

So, if you wan to lose fat (notice I didn’t say weight,) strength/weight train more and eat so that you create a calorie deficit. That’s it.

WHAT you eat is up to you. Eat healthy. Eat crap. Your choice. Calorie dense foods will result in you eating less quantity. A handful of potato crisps vs a bowl of grapes. A half cup of macaroni and cheese vs a chicken breast, a pile of broccoli and a bowl of salad. A bowl of 1 cup sugared cereal and cup whole milk milk vs two eggs and a couple rashes of baconand a slice of toast. One choice will create satiation. One will leave you hungry after half an hour.

Your choice.

I am curious how many of you senior ladies have regular exercise routines? The reason I am starting a thread focused on senior women, is because if we study the female muscle before menopause, it is a lot more pliable, because of estrogen, than the post menopausal muscle lower in estrogen. Tearing muscles is a lot easier post menopausal and more stretching is necessary because of reduced estrogen.

While the biggest reason I hear for senior post menopausal women exercising, is weight lost. I want to present a different approach that I think has been over shadowed because of the big profits in weight loss. That is focusing on measure rather than the scales. Measure and weigh yourself, then start a routine focused on abs, hips, and legs. Beside target exercises in the gym or at home, walking is paramount, even if on a walker. It is necessary to keep our cardio healthy, but cardio exercise alone won't get rid of very much unhealthy fat.

Since fat can convert indirectly into muscle with exercise, then perhaps one gets discouraged because the scales indicates little progress. This false idea that little weight loss is a sign that the exercise routine isn't effective, leads many to give it up and turn to fad diets, pills, or just give up completely.

In most cases, even in someone of a thinner build, belly fat is the number one issue. Belly fat is the most dangerous fat for women, especially seniors.

When I started using measure as my weekly guide and the scales only once a month, I could see what exercises were doing me the most good to regain my lost strength and energy. While my weight at age 60 of 202 lbs, only dropped back to 160 lbs at age 65, my waist of 36," dropped to 27." That is a 42 lbs lost and an amazing 9" off my waist. There was nothing easy about it and required target exercises.

I am interested in hearing all you ladies stories. I don't have any advice other than I think progress is better assessed using a tape measure than scales. We all face a different set of medical issues and have different body types that negate the idea there is one ideal weight for height or one ideal body type by measures.

EDITED: To clarify
Great to see your post! My mother went to the gym at an assisted living facility and followed a trainer when she was well into her late 70s. She was proud of her biceps and had a t-shirt that said Arnold Schwarzenegger that she was very proud of!

I'm 65 and do strength training 5 days a week. I'm much more rigorous about it since I retired 3 years ago. My waist size was 33 when I started, then it reduced to 31. I'm now at about 32 but I'm happy with that for 65. I haven't lost a pound but my weight has shifted. And yes, belly fat is a predictor of heart attacks for both women and men.

Sorry I'm a guy responding, but I agree with your assessment and admire your progress!

While my weight at age 60 of 202 lbs, only dropped back to 160 lbs at age 65, my waist of 36," dropped to 27." That is a 42 lbs lost and an amazing 9" off my waist. There was nothing easy about it and required target exercises.

@MsFox
Your journey to a 27" waist is impressive.
I'm interested in what target exercises you use to trim down the waist, and what areas you measure with the tape.

Last edited:
@MsFox
Your journey to a 27" waist is impressive.
I'm interested in what target exercises you use to trim down the waist, and what areas you measure with the tape.
I measure bust, true waist (slightly above navel), and low hip. I measure only high hip if ordering or making custom bottoms.

It is hard to describe my target exercises but imagine facing the floor face down, up on hands and feet (back neither arched or sagging), abs tight, and then crossing one leg over the other, then returning it back to position. Then doing the other leg. I do this 50 times.

Other floor exercises including lying one my side and then doing 100 leg lifts and then rolling over and switching sides. I usually do 100 of these with each leg. Some days 200.

Another one is walking in place with exaggerated hip swings and always coming up from flat footed to on ball with each hip swing. To finish, I add 100 twist, Cubby Checkers style trying to get individual feet twist with each hip twist.

For toning I walk 1-5 miles daily and always try to get in 1/2 mile of what I call sashaying. I usually do this on a semi private rural back road. This is not something that is pretty to watch at my age hahaha!

Recently, due to the oncologist putting me on a high protein and good higher fats diet to see if I can gain some weight, has resulted in a low hip increase of one inch with a solid feel to it. Sadly my waist increase to 28" boast a slight high fat roll. I had to retire all my 27" high rise jeans because of said fat presentation being pushed out over the waist band and creating some discomfort. Luckily I have a lot of vintage 28" high waist jeans. The weight gain was only 2 lbs with this 1" measure increase.

Last edited:

Back