Seniors in Denial

Something else that's also sad: When someone dies, & their death is related to prescription drugs, they rarely mention that.
One example: When Bob Hope was hospitalized, reporters were asking his doctor what caused the emergency. The doctor said, "It was a GI Bleed." But, he didn't mention that uncontrolled intestinal bleeding is a common side effect of blood thinners (which some doctors are now admitting have questionable benefit....besides the increased risk of falls when taking them)
My dad almost bled to death from daily aspirin. I took him to the ER several times. On the 3rd occasion, the ER doctor told me, "He's lucky; he was a couple minutes from bleeding out." I tossed his "Children's Aspirin" out, even though his doctor told me he should continue taking it "to prevent a stroke or heart attack." Yeah....thinning blood also raises the risk of a bleeding stroke - something else they don't tell you.
BUT, on the front of every box of Cheerios, it says "Cheerios Lowers Cholesterol." Anything to sell crap, including bogus health benefits.
Well, he somehow lived another 10 years without blood thinners.
Yes we are all different. These meds can sometimes save lives...its debatable at what cost...and sometimes hasten the inevitable. "Medical misadventure" is what they call the drug related deaths. One big issue is the fact they prescribe drugs for seniors by weight, and they need to look at the fact seniors aren't like middle age people. So often hear of overdoses by those sensitive to them, and sundowner's from being put too far under during operations.

Could give you several examples, but probably most of you know some, too. One tip is to not let your dentist prescribe a "heavy duty" antibiotic. The dental malpractice rates are low and they want to keep them there. Very strong antibiotics for senior can tip the scales if they are taking other meds, like it did with my MIL.

Back