Seriously considering moving into the Tiny house on Ron's property

Thank you all for hanging with me through this. šŸ’–

I had another lightbulb moment yesterday, just in terms of the virus and Sheri and our differing responses to it. It doesn't particularly solve anything in relation to Ron, but gaining any ground whatever on any of the many moving parts to this whole mess is one step further towards clarity.

In this current pandemic climate, one has to consider risk, and so the subject of risk assessment becomes paramount. There is of course, known, understood, acceptable risk. We canā€™t live in a bubble, so we take a known risk every time we go to the grocery store, or Sheri goes to the barn or to her Mother's, or I go to Paige's. But that risk is known and understood and deemed to be acceptable risk and so we've all just done the best we could as a family, factoring in and compensating for those risks appropriately.

But itā€™s clear that Sheri's and my individual assessments of risk are different. I didnā€™t think they were, based on how fastidious she was being in general, but they are. Mineā€™s higher, hers is lower. There is no right or wrong intended with that statement, no blame or finger pointing, just a basic statement of fact. And so every time she leaves the house and goes ANYWHERE other than her momā€™s or the barn or the grocery (all the places weā€™ve agreed are acceptable risk destinations) she assess the risk at a point much lower than my own, and so re-sets my own personal clock on the 14 day virus incubation period and my own need to quarantine myself. I've discussed this here before.

So....... Either she would have to rise to my risk level or I lower to hers, that's if were were to once again live in the same house. Or she lives in her own place where she is absolutely free to chose her own level of risk and act accordingly. However because of my fear of contracting the virus, my own personal assessment of risk, and the potential of bringing infection to my own kids and grandkids, I wonā€™t lower to Sheri's level, which is why I left.

She absolutely will not convince me that her risk assessment is acceptable, as she tried to do when she said she was being safe and sanitary when she visited her friends. Understand, I believe completely that SHE was convinced she was being safe! BUT Iā€™ve read countless scientific articles, been counseled and cautioned and tutored on this virus by my medically trained son, and by my friends who are doctors or nurse practitioners, or friends who hold PhDā€™s and BAā€™s and far outreach me in their understanding of the science behind virus behavior both in general and as it relates to the intricacies of this Corona virus. I understand Covid-19 both in the abstract, AND as it relates specifically to me as a vulnerable high risk individual simply because of my age, and ESPECIALLY as it relates to Ron, not just high risk because of age, but heā€™s also at the TOP END of the high risk category because of his compromised respiratory system.

I won't ignore the risks, or downplay them, or make light of them, or overlook Sheri's behavior because she was having a bad day.

She sent me a text, explaining her behavior, in which she stated. "I needed to get away for a minute. I didnā€™t want the stress of everyone elseā€™s opinions ontop of how I was already feeling." Which in my book translates to she had zero intention of telling us where she went, exactly as I had posited.

She then goes on to say "Did I need the time?- absolutely." So I infer from that that if she once again "needs to get away" or "needs the time" she will once again "not want the stress of everyone else's opinions" about that.

But ....she's sorry and she apologizes. :oops:

Ronni have you thought that you are over reactive to your fears of the virus and Sheri is under reactive? Is there a middle ground where you can meet? Health care workers go home. They wear masks, then when they get home they take off their clothes, shower, before they interact with family.

Maybe Sheri can go out as she likes as long as she wears a mask, then goes to the little house, undresses, showers, puts on clean clothes, brings the worn clothes, which she placed in a bag, and washes them right away. Would that work?

I go out when needed. I am extremely high risk of dying should I get the virus. I wear a mask. I wash my hands. Iā€™ve not caught it. There must be some middle ground for you and Sheri.

Ronni have you thought that you are over reactive to your fears of the virus and Sheri is under reactive? Is there a middle ground where you can meet? Health care workers go home. They wear masks, then when they get home they take off their clothes, shower, before they interact with family.

Maybe Sheri can go out as she likes as long as she wears a mask, then goes to the little house, undresses, showers, puts on clean clothes, brings the worn clothes, which she placed in a bag, and washes them right away. Would that work?

I go out when needed. I am extremely high risk of dying should I get the virus. I wear a mask. I wash my hands. Iā€™ve not caught it. There must be some middle ground for you and Sheri.
I think one of Ronni's problem with Sheri is that Shari can not be trusted. She may tell Ronni she wore a mask or that she was somewhere but really was visiting somewhere or someone else. Possibly people who are not safely following guidelines. Just from what Ronni has said about Sheri's behavior I wouldn't trust her myself. šŸ˜•

From Sheris past activities, I don't think she's taking COVID-19 seriously and that's up to her....IF...she was on her own. Since she's living with her dad, it's his house, his rules should prevail. Period.

Ronni, can you think of anything that can possibly make Ron enforce his rules to ensure HIS safety since Sheri cannot be expected to cooperate?

Ronni, you absolutely have as much right to your level of acceptable risk as the daughter has to hers. BUT, if you are to marry Ron, you have a right to expect that Ron will accept and honor your feelings about this. As my dad always said, "If you are under my roof you will abide by my rules; if you can't do that, go elsewhere." Ron has to decide who will be the mistress of the house, you or the daughter.

Ronni must have a lot of questions, what ifs and maybe even doubts going through her head. It may not be just this situation that concerns her, but the ā€œwhat ifā€™s.ā€ Doubts in a relationship can be very worrisome, even to the point where counseling is considered. After all, if you are going to commit to a relationship, wouldnā€™t you want to be 100% certain that your partner respects you enough to support your feelings and emotions? I would. If I ever felt that my wife would waiver on her commitment to me, I would have to consider my options.

There are and will be times when one partner has to be empathetic with their partnerā€™s feelings.

Thanks for asking guys. šŸ’–

No, I haven't moved into the tiny house. It's still an option but it's unlikely that I will at this point.

Things came to a head when I absolutely lost my cool and just laid into Ron. I was SO angry! Very uncharacteristic for me, because I know the signs and when I feel myself getting to that point I'll usually just back off, take some time, take a walk, and put some space between me and the person I'm talking to, till I can calm down. That didn't happen. It was not my best or proudest moment šŸ˜– I basically just told him that this situation was FAR BEYOND just what was happening between Sheri/me/the virus, that it had EVERYTHING to do with his broken, dysfunctional relationship with his daughter, and that that's at the crux of this entire situation.

He said he didn't want to be an a$%^& to Sheri and kick her out. That it was cruel. I told him he wasn't being an ass to want to have his own life, with his wife, in his own home, without kids and grandkids around, FORGET the damn virus. Take that completely out of the equation. I told him 98% of older folks have a life that doesn't include kids and grandkids living with them, and it's THEIR NORMAL, not something that's a treat or an extra or a special circumstance, the way he's looking at it.

I told him that I have no clue what's broken in him that he continually puts himself last, continues to be selfless, continues to WAIT to have the life he wants till Sheri decides that he can have that. That an A#$%& wouldn't have provided for Sheri the way he has, given her a home rent free, given her a job, the income of which should couldn't possibly realize with any other employer, given her the freedom to come and go as she wants etc. I just kept on and with all the benefits she derives from living with him.

I told him that NONE of that makes him an A@#$%, that it gives Sheri the kind of life of privilege that most people would kill to have but few realize. That he's done more for her than the vast majority of parents would, and that if SHE considers he's an A#$%^& then that's on HER and not him. I told him I had no idea what it was going to take for him to VALUE HIMSELF enough to not have to consider it some kind of SPECIAL GIFT that his daughter might want to ALLOW him to have a typical senior life.

I said that HE needs to take control of his life, and not just keep on hoping that one day he might have the kind of life he wants if Sheri will let him. Otherwise he'll die continuing to HOPE that that might happen. It won't, unless he MAKES it happen. And that this wasnā€™t even about US any more either...it was about what HE wanted for HIS life, no matter what happened between us. That this was something he needed to deal with for HIMSELF, whether it was beneficial to us or not.

Like I said....not my proudest moment. :( But.........it shook something loose in him. I don't know if he just needed some very forceful validation that he was a good Dad or what, but it fundamentally changed something for him. He was quiet for a long time. Then he told me I was right, all of it, everything, and that he was going to tell her she had three months to move, giving her time to get the kids back in daycare when it was a bit safer to do so, get back to work, start earning again, find a house to buy, the closing, any renovations, and then move. That he was done. This was it. No matter what, she was moving out in three months, whether she found a house to buy or had to rent one.

I held my breath all the next day, waiting to see if he actually WOULD have that conversation with her after work, like he said. Lo and behold he did. I was shocked. She didn't take it very well apparently, but he held his ground. Just said it was time. She blamed me, (of course) and he told her it had nothing to do with me, he'd just finally realized that he wasn't doing either of them any favors by letting this situation continue.

Three days later she found a house. That was last week. She's supposed to close mid June. She's already given plans to Ron's shop guy for a redesign of some of the kitchen cabinets, and asked her Mom if she can use some of the furniture that her Mom has in storage.

So....we'll see. Anything could happen between now and then, the sale could fall through, anything. But damn, Ron stood his ground with Sheri, and that's huge!

Last edited:
@Ronni, thank you for the update. Congratulations to Ron for finding his way, and kudos to you for shining a flashlight on the path.
Thanks honey. We had a ā€œdate nightā€ on Monday. A socially distanced one, but still. šŸ˜‰ Found out Sheri was gonna spend the night at her sisterā€™s, so I went over while Ron was at work and cooked him his favorite dinner to come home to. He was smiling so big I thought his face was gonna crack!! It was so sweet. šŸ„°

I miss him so much! šŸ’”

So people....We have been in our cottage since December....So, we are going home after May 31...
So we will be going into our home in another State...No one was in the house except my son when
he makes sure everything is OK....My son does not have the virus and his family don't have the virus.
and me and hubby don't have the virus....Maybe I'm stupid but I don't know what Ronni is talking about....

So people....We have been in our cottage since December....So, we are going home after May 31...
So we will be going into our home in another State...No one was in the house except my son when
he makes sure everything is OK....My son does not have the virus and his family don't have the virus.
and me and hubby don't have the virus....Maybe I'm stupid but I don't know what Ronni is talking about....
Ronni has had to have a socially distanced 'date' with her man, because he's been living with his daughter who no-one can be sure isn't carrying the virus, because she's not socially distancing herself from her friends... therefore it's possible she could be passing it on to her dad and family.. and ultimately Ronni who is living with her own daughter's family currently, and whom she doesn't want to potentially infect either ..

Found out Sheri was gonna spend the night at her sisterā€™s, so I went over while Ron was at work and cooked him his favorite dinner to come home to.

Ronni, something I do not understand. Why would you even go over to the house that Sheri is still living in, She may have been gone for the night but still she has certainly touched most every surface in the kitchen. Since the idea was to have her move out so you could move back in why not have waited till she was truly gone then you could disinfect everything and feel safe.

Also, will she be permitted to visit after you do move back in?

I must admit Iā€™ve been a little confused on some of the issues in this post, but, lol, that is usual for me. I didnā€™t understand at the beginning if you, Ronni, thought you had been exposed why you went to family to possibly expose them.

Then, as Lee, mentioned why you risked exposure, for the reasons she mentioned, and returned back to your family. Also why is the tiny house not an option?

But then Iā€™m thinking youā€™ve been extremely careful about what youā€™ve touched, washed up well, and are planning to move into the big house when she is gone, so no need to move into the smaller house. What company do you hire to clean/sanitize Ronsā€™ house?

How did Sheri, who is not working, afford to buy a house? Has she gone back to her husband? Seems like things will work out for you guys.

Ronni, something I do not understand. Why would you even go over to the house that Sheri is still living in, She may have been gone for the night but still she has certainly touched most every surface in the kitchen. Since the idea was to have her move out so you could move back in why not have waited till she was truly gone then you could disinfect everything and feel safe.

Also, will she be permitted to visit after you do move back in?

If I hadn't felt that I could be safe, I wouldn't have gone.

The virus particles don't remain suspended in the air, so I was in no danger from inhaling anything. I wore gloves and a mask to prepare dinner. Even so, I disinfected everything before I touched it. We ate outside. There was minimal risk as long as her and the kids weren't there.

Once I move back in, Ron and I will evolve a protocol for family visits. We've already talked about the need to do that, though haven't discussed the details of how. The economy is opening up, and both sets of kids and families will be getting out and about more and more as it does, so he and I need to figure out what we're comfortable with.

Ronni, just in case you're not aware and I'm sure you are after all your research... but the particles DO hang in Still Air..for up to 3 hours...this has been proven, which is why they are encouraging everyone to have windows open as much as possible to move air around... ...and once you move back in, then Madam will have to visit from the end of the garden... to heck with her coming into the house..

I must admit Iā€™ve been a little confused on some of the issues in this post, but, lol, that is usual for me. I didnā€™t understand at the beginning if you, Ronni, thought you had been exposed why you went to family to possibly expose them.

When Sheri came back after visiting her various friends, Ron wouldn't let her into the house or anywhere near either of us until I left, so I wasn't exposed to anything.

Then, as Lee, mentioned why you risked exposure, for the reasons she mentioned, and returned back to your family. Also why is the tiny house not an option?

But then Iā€™m thinking youā€™ve been extremely careful about what youā€™ve touched, washed up well, and are planning to move into the big house when she is gone, so no need to move into the smaller house. What company do you hire to clean/sanitize Ronsā€™ house?

How did Sheri, who is not working, afford to buy a house? Has she gone back to her husband? Seems like things will work out for you guys.

I've been very careful. I've also done an enormous amount of research concerning this virus, and viruses in general, so rather than just following general recommendations and guidelines, I feel confident in my judgement and ability to make informed and appropriately safe decisions.

A lot of thought went into my decision to not move into the tiny house at this time, taking into account all the current information.

Because Sheri's been living rent free for so long, she has considerable money saved. She qualifies for a modest mortgage, and has been able to find something within her financial parameters. She can make several house payments from her savings if need be if she's not back at work by the time they're due. That's all according to Ron, becuase she's not talking to me. No, she hasn't gone back to her husband. The divorce papers have been filed.

Ronni, just in case you're not aware and I'm sure you are after all your research... but the particles DO hang in Still Air..for up to 3 hours...this has been proven, which is why they are encouraging everyone to have windows open as much as possible to move air around... ...and once you move back in, then Madam will have to visit from the end of the garden... to heck with her coming into the house..

Yes! Yeah I'm aware...thanks for having my back though @hollydolly. šŸ’– They don't hang in the air for long is what I should have said. Sheri left the night before, and I didn't get there till the afternoon of the next day, so I wasn't terribly concerned about contaminated air.

I also flung open all the windows to allow lots of airflow while I was working in the kitchen.

Back