Service dog fails all tests given to him

That is so hysterical...thanks, Catlady!

That is one adorable dog, who will make a great companion for someone,
but no thank you, for him being a service dog for me!!
:ROFLMAO:
I agree. The patient will end up worse than originally with him ''helping''.

One of my sisters was a "puppy-raiser" for one of the premier service dog organizations in the country. She would get a dog at eight weeks and then raise it for about 18 months, teaching it basic commands and accustoming the dog to being in crowds, riding in elevators, being around other dogs, etc.

Two of her puppies flunked out of service school (but I'm not supposed to say "flunked".....one is supposed to refer to the dog as "released"...okayyyyy). Let's just say if they were human adolescents, they'd both be in reform school. One was adjudged "incorrigible" and the other one was "sullen". She ended up adopting both of them and still has them to this day. The one is still incorrigible and the other one, while I wouldn't exactly call him sullen, is definitely averse to doing anything he doesn't want to do. They're both a couple of big sweeties, though.

Interesting thing: some service dogs must be able to disobey commands. That's a personality trait they look for in "seeing-eye dogs". Normally when the owner gives a command to a service dog, the dog MUST obey. But if a blind person gives the command "forward" or "go" or whatever it is they use, and the dog sees danger ahead, the dog MUST disobey for the safety of the owner. That takes a special dog to be able to make those decisions. That's why you'll usually see German Shepard dogs being used as guide dogs. They have absolutely no problem knowing that they're smarter than their handlers.....LOL....and will take charge if needed.

Here's one of the comments about another flunker. LOL

"A friend had a dog who flunked out of Hearing Dog school. He apparently kept trying to herd people *towards* fire when alarms went off. "

One of my sisters was a "puppy-raiser" for one of the premier service dog organizations in the country. She would get a dog at eight weeks and then raise it for about 18 months, teaching it basic commands and accustoming the dog to being in crowds, riding in elevators, being around other dogs, etc.

Two of her puppies flunked out of service school (but I'm not supposed to say "flunked".....one is supposed to refer to the dog as "released"...okayyyyy). Let's just say if they were human adolescents, they'd both be in reform school. One was adjudged "incorrigible" and the other one was "sullen". She ended up adopting both of them and still has them to this day. The one is still incorrigible and the other one, while I wouldn't exactly call him sullen, is definitely averse to doing anything he doesn't want to do. They're both a couple of big sweeties, though.
It takes a very special person to be able to train the dogs n then to let them go, she has a big heart, I’m glad she was able to keep a few!

Back