She Had a Routine Throat Swab. The Bill Was $28K

She probably would have died waiting for treatment.

Rick
My brother and his wife lived in a number of countries that have social medicine over the years. His wife was diagnosed with breast cancer while living abroad and was treated in a timely manner that saved her life but she had to continue with cancer medication when they moved back to the US. But getting that same medication here was so prohibitively expensive that it was actually cheaper for them to travel abroad to purchase her medicines than it was to buy them here.
When my husband was diagnosed with cancer that had already metastasized we had to wait nearly 3 months for all the proper steps, tests & insurance approval for treatment. Three months while we were helpless and the cancer just went crazy doing it’s thing to him. Then when the drug was approved the cost of it was $52,000 a month. Our health insurance cost $1,600 a month and even so we had to meet ad $10,000 deductible before they would pay one cent. He tried to go on disability because he was dying but we had to wait a couple of months for that appointment and when he was approved he was told that he had to be off work for 6 months before it paid and he would have to be off work for 2 years before he would qualify for Medicare. So although we were able to buy my husband nearly 2 years of life he would have otherwise forfeited, he had to work until 6 weeks before his death in order to have medical care.
We also have one child who is severely disabled, so prior to this a good deal of our income was already being claimed for special needs items. She needs 24 hour care which is why my husband was the sole bread winner, I sacrificed my ability to have a career to care for her. So with the death of my husband I lost a co-parent, bread winner and health insurance.
I could fill several books with horror stories of being in medical need in America. The wait times for urgently needed treatment and then the hold up while we wait to see if the insurance company will approve what the doctor ordered. I’m exhausted from having to get on the phone and argue with insurance companies, of having to plead with hospitals to push forward with tests for loved ones who can’t wait several months to be seen. The insurance companies themselves admit that they place all these obstacles because many people give up rather than fight for what they are entitled to, thus creating more profit for them.
I’m continually baffled by people who seem to believe that the very things they erroneously claim will happen if we collectively decide to pay for medical costs instead of giving away many times over what other countries pay for health care without realizing that this is actually what is happening to us, right here and now.

Only pay $25 a month no matter what they threaten. I used to do that when I didn't have insurance. I really only could afford to pay $25 a month though. If you are just trying to hold onto assets and cheapskate the doc, then pay the full amount skinflint.

Well Vancouver is a big city, we live in a smallish town a good 8 hours away from Vancouver. I did wait once a very long time for a test needed to be done 4 hours from here. Finally my Dr suggested calling that hospital. The woman who answered was shocked said they weren't busy when would I like my appt, got it, and immediately called a friend whose husband was waiting for the same test. Both of us then had the back surgery we so needed.

Rick. I live in Canada. My friend had a heart attack and was rushed to hospital. Within one hour he had a stent put in. So the wait times are exaggerated by the media. It depends on urgency.
It's not free however. It's paid for by taxes . Not everything is covered. Dental work, Hearing aids, for example are not covered. Prescriptions are co pay and seniors get a break at age 65 depending on the province you live in. I doubt there is one Canadian that would trade health care plans.
Camper6, you are absolutely right. This gets debated on Quora regularly, where there are a lot of international members. Not a single one of the Canadian, European, or British members - ESPECIALLY those who have experience with the U.S. system - has ever said they would trade.

Unanimously they think our system is absolutely terrible. The idea that people must risk bankruptcy to pay even basic healthcare bills is mind-boggling to them.

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and chose the next best thing - Kaiser Permanente HMO, which is non-profit. It's not John Hopkins-Stanford Univ level of care, but they have very good staff, and owning their own hospitals and pharmacies makes care/expense much simpler for members.

We've been members for almost 50 yrs, through minor and major medical incidents. Have there ever been issues with them? Yes, but relatively minor ones. Their emergency care (broken limbs, stroke) has been outstanding.

About seven years ago they began converting to digital records. Not an easy process, apparently! But now that it's up and running, it's great and really facilitates general/basic healthcare. You can even download a complete copy of your own medical records to print out. Website allows easy appt making for most basic procedures, or if not there's an advice nurse 24/7 who can help you make one by phone.

Most Americans have no idea how much healthcare actually costs. They get the paperwork every year from their employer and never really read through it. Then they're surprised as heck when they leave and find out what COBRA will cost them.

I was curious to find out what happens to poor US citizens who need urgent medical care but have no insurance. The answer is Medicaid.

Almost every state has multiple Medicaid programs. But, as a good rule of thumb, if you make less than 100% to 200% of the federal poverty level (FPL) and are pregnant, elderly, disabled, a parent/caretaker or a child, there's likely a program for you.

But every state is different.

It appears to be a safety net, similar to our Medicare in Australia. I hope this info is correct.

A friend in the US who's husband had a heart attack, she did the sensible thing and called an ambulance that took him to the hospital. They had insurance but the insurance company refused to pay the bill because she didn't call the insurance company for permission to o get him to the hospital. Their money problems eventually caused them to separate.

I'm so glad I am Canadian!

Last edited:

Back