Shearer shortage due to COVID restrictions sparks 'unofficial auction' for workers

mellowyellow

A worker shortage crisis has kicked off a bidding war between farmers and contractors for shearing crews.

sheep.jpg

A worker shortage crisis has kicked off a bidding war between farmers and contractors for shearing crews.

Shearing Contractors Association of Australia secretary Jason Letchford said some producers were paying shearers premiums of between 20 and 50 per cent per sheep in an "unofficial auction system".

"The [minimum] pay rate is about $3.24 to shear a standard or flock sheep in Australia," he said…….Source: ABC News

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2...g-shortage-australia-industry-crisis/13054904

What a hard way to earn a living, and at $3.24 a sheep, I wonder just how many a shearer could do in a day without knocking themselves out.
It sure is a tough job Aunt Marg and many young people in the bush with little employment opportunities are signing up, especially young women. A good shearer can do up to 200 sheep a day (2-3 minutes per sheep).

It sure is a tough job Aunt Marg and many young people in the bush with little employment opportunities are signing up, especially young women. A good shearer can do up to 200 sheep a day (2-3 minutes per sheep).
Holy smokes, Mellow, that's way more than I would have ever guessed one could do in a day, and speedier than I would have ever thought.

I would have never expected a woman to be strong enough to perform such a job.

Back