Shingles

Never had shingles, but any kind of nerve pain is excruciating.. and unrelenting.. I'm sorry you had to go through the even one time, let alone twice.

Most Medicare D plans in the states will pay for most (and sometimes all) of the cost of the shingles vaccine. I give lots of them. If it keeps someone from suffering from a painful ordeal, then I am all for it. As far as I understand the older we get it is only a matter of "when" shingles will rear its nasty little head. The vaccine gives you about a 50/50 chance of not getting the shingles.

I had mine back in May, this year, and still have numbness and some pain on my side. Never felt so much pain and medication didn't help that much. My dr. Thinks I should still have the shot. I can still get them but maybe not so hard.

I had shingles a year ago and although it was bad, not as bad as some have it. It did come back just as it was starting to clear up. Doc told me to wait at least 30 days after all symptoms disappeared before getting the shot, which I did. Nasty bug for certain.

I had shingles hit me at about age 40. I was at work, and it came on suddenly....I thought I was having a heart attack. I called the boss, and the wife, and went directly to the hospital, where they diagnosed it as shingles. Then, the rash began to appear, and the pain kept me at home for several days. I would not want to go through that again. I avoid shots, as they usually give me the illness they are supposed to prevent. I got a flu shot 3 or 4 years ago, and spent a couple of days with my head hovering over the toilet. I just take a daily vitamin, eat well, get plenty of exercise, and avoid crowds during cold and flu season.

A Misconception Don. The Flu that the vaccine protects you from is NOT gastrointestinal. That is a different virus.. norovirus causing gastroenteritis. The Influenza protected by the vaccine is completely respiratory, and people that die of it usually do so from pneumonia.

A Misconception Don. The Flu that the vaccine protects you from is NOT gastrointestinal. That is a different virus.. norovirus causing gastroenteritis. The Influenza protected by the vaccine is completely respiratory, and people that die of it usually do so from pneumonia.

All I can do is pass along my personal experience. I got a flu shot, and within hours I was totally sick to my stomach for about 2 days. Were the two related???....I suspect so.

different strains

All I can do is pass along my personal experience. I got a flu shot, and within hours I was totally sick to my stomach for about 2 days. Were the two related???....I suspect so.

Hey Don,

Seems like every 3-4 years the flu strains that are in the flu vaccine don't agree with me either. The last couple of years the WHO or CDC or whoever has recommended using the same strains in this year's flu shots again. Anywho, no symptoms for me last couple of years after flu shot. Remember the H1N1 thing a few years back? I did the nasal prep for that one and felt like I had the nastiest head cold for 2 weeks. :)

They change the formula every year....so what a person experiences one year, might be totally different, the next. One things for sure....if I get a shot, I try to get one when I'm not planning anything for the next few days....that way if it makes me sick, I don't have to cancel any plans.

Never had more than a minor scratchiness in the back of my throat following a flu shot. Most years I get no reaction... Also.. I had no reaction to the shingles shot.. not even a sore arm.

Got flu shot last week. Must have hit a tender spot as my arm was sore for two days. Usually it doesn't bother me at all. Still have to check insurance to see if they cover shingles shots I have the scrip. From doctor. Just need to get shot.

Back