Shortwave radio

I've had my ham license since 1959 and was a SWL for four years prior to that. My first general coverage receiver was a Hallicrafters S-53A which also became the receiver of my first ham station. I still own that radio and it still works.

The late 1950's and early 1960's were the peak of the Cold War and listening to short wave back then was an exciting thing to do. I spent many of the wee hours of the night trying to winkle out ghostly signals and figure out from what part of the globe they were originating.

I am still a moderately active ham with an up to date transceiver and antennas. All CW, nearly all on 30 meters. Occasionally I sweep the HF bands for broadcasts.

73 to all.

I've had my ham license since 1959 and was a SWL for four years prior to that. My first general coverage receiver was a Hallicrafters S-53A which also became the receiver of my first ham station. I still own that radio and it still works.

The late 1950's and early 1960's were the peak of the Cold War and listening to short wave back then was an exciting thing to do. I spent many of the wee hours of the night trying to winkle out ghostly signals and figure out from what part of the globe they were originating.

I am still a moderately active ham with an up to date transceiver and antennas. All CW, nearly all on 30 meters. Occasionally I sweep the HF bands for broadcasts.

73 to all.
Llynn, what is your call sign?

Mine was WB0IMI, but I let it lapse when we moved into our condo and other things crowded out my interest in radio overall, such as finishing my degree at night, caring for my wife with her then frequent hospital trips, etc.

Tony

I don't know anything about shortwave radios and the hobby. But, tomorrow I will be the owner of a Tecsun R9700DX Shortwave Radio ($54.90 plus Free Shipping). I am intrigued about this older technology (I am a bit burned out with digital) so I decided the best way to explore this new hobby is to start off with a good beginners unit. I also purchased a retractable antenna since I will be using the radio in my second floor office. So, I may a few questions in the coming weeks. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

And a hearty welcome to Senior Forums. The R-9700DX is an excellent starter receiver. There are a good number from novice to knowledgeable radio-heads here so if you feel the need just ask away as the only stupid question is the one not asked. Take care.r9700dx-silver-front-aco.jpg

www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=11543

I stated to explore the airwaves with my new shortwave radio and tonight I got a hit - WTWW broadcasting from Lebanon TN (5.83 MHz - 834 miles away). Tonight is oldies night.

View attachment 150615

I am transitioning to SDR and on-line streaming. After reading your post I fired up one of my laptops and I am listening to wtww.us/pages/listen-live/tx1.php on my PC. Usually I listen to AM and FM broadcast radio stations via www.radio-locator.com

BTW: Are you using the antenna that came with the radio?

I am transitioning to SDR and on-line streaming. After reading your post I fired up one of my laptops and I am listening to wtww.us/pages/listen-live/tx1.php on my PC. Usually I listen to AM and FM broadcast radio stations via www.radio-locator.com

BTW: Are you using the antenna that came with the radio? Also - thanks for the radio locator link
Yes - it seemed to improve the reception a little bit.

Thanks...and i just noticed spell checker sold me a dummy!What is a ration controlled clock..😂?

It's not just you fb as a so called progressive society we are so dependent on our electronic social lifeline that our enemy doesn't need one bomb to eradicate us from Planet Earth. All they need do is light off an EMP device and we'll kill ourselves in complete and utter despair.

Back in the 80s my dad had a multiband SW radio, included police and international stations. He must have gotten rid of it when he moved to his apartment, as I looked for it to take after he died, and never found it. This thread got me thinking of it, and I would kind of like to look for one now.

time signals carried more than just the time. there was weather/sea state reports and blank space to listen for emergency signals. my swl was with navy gear and since at sea commercial radio signals are hard to come by so I listened to VOA southeast asia broadcasts...urr/r1051
r1051.jpg

Back in the '70's, I played around with my CB and then moved onto SW. I had bought one from Radio Shack that had LSB and USB. I always tried to listen to the Coast Guard and the boats at sea. I had a great antenna setup with a power booster and a really nice desk mic. I couldn't put the time into it that I should have to become a really good SW Operator. It was fun, but also addictive. Anytime that I sat down at the mic and got started, I didn't want to walk away.

Back