Smart Lights or Dumb Consumers?

I'm not much on gadgets but I'm seriously thinking about getting a couple of these.

shopping

https://www.snappower.com/pages/switchlights

..........Are they making you happy or are they just more & more & more clutter that you know one day your kids will just throw in the dumpster when you "kick the bucket"?
If you have them, the more likely scenario is that you kids will fight over them after you’re gone. 😉😂

Don't feel bad because I'm with you. Can't waste my precious time playing & starring at a iphone all day. Do have a flip phone. Too many hobbies & too much to do for me just to stare at some phone. I guess it's OK if you can control it. I believe technology should benefit you not control you. Too many people are becoming smartphone zombies; especially the young. We seniors are smarter, right?

I sure do wish that those of you who think that we smart phone users just “stare at our phones all day like zombies” would actually just LISTEN for once to what is ACTUALLY going on when I’m “staring” at my phone. 😡

Sure, I could be checking Facebook or Instagram, or reading and responding to posts on this forum, or playing a game.

I could ALSO be checking my credit score, updating an address, entering info into my nutritional tracker, checking the weather, accessing my GPS, seeing what’s on my work or personal calendar for the day/week, adding to my grocery list, reading the news, buying something, checking my email, taking a photo, making a doctors appointment, reading a book, bidding o an auction item, making a bank deposit or checking on balances or transferring funds or paying a bill......plus a whole lot more.

Now you tell me.....you just go ahead and tell me, that you DON’T do most of this stuff also??? That I do it on my phone while you do it at your desk doesn’t make me dumber than you, you know? It DOES however make my time management skills far greater than yours.

I’ve figured out how to do all that stuff, plus a WHOLE lot more, on something that combines all the crap you have around your house to manage everything I listed, into a device not much bigger than a pack of cards.

So you tell me.....who’s the dumb one here?

I have a few smart devices including an Alexa and a home security camera system (not Ring - so not connected with Alexa). I set it up on an email address used for nothing else, and a very complicated 23 character password that's likewise unique to that account.

Of course I have a remote control garage door opener, and have since moving into this house over 30 years ago. Yes on TV remote controls, too. It would be an impossible task to buy a modern TV that doesn't use a remote.

I intentionally haven't set up my smart phone for banking, bill paying, purchasing, financials, or other sensitive information because I believe my home network and computer to be far more secure than what I will find or use in public spaces. Also no facebook on my phone.

How much electronics stuff you obtain should be a choice, unfortunately the technology companies want to make this to be a requirement instead of an option. I don’t want to be told what I can and can’t do in regards to paying my bills, utilizing cash and accessing information such as my medical records. That’s is one example of where I have the objection. I also do not believe the teachers, physimians, attorneys, etc. should substitute a computer brain for the lack of prudent judgment. For example a doctor staring at the computer system and lacking the ability to diagnose independently and using the computer as their only source of knowledge, the computer should be a complement to their knowledge not the only source of knowledge that they rely on.

A story, just last week, gives credence to my way of thinking: A child's nanny cam, with voice broadcast, was hacked. The hacker gave the child commands that she obeyed, according to another report, on TV. Terrible stuff, considering the hacker may have been able to watch, as well!

I can remember seeing a photograph of Mark Zuckerberg seated by his computer with a piece of masking tape over the camera on his laptop
computer. You never really know who may be watching and listening.

I don't really have any "smart" devices preferring to consider by BRAIN to be the smart device.

I sure do wish that those of you who think that we smart phone users just “stare at our phones all day like zombies” would actually just LISTEN for once to what is ACTUALLY going on when I’m “staring” at my phone. 😡

Sure, I could be checking Facebook or Instagram, or reading and responding to posts on this forum, or playing a game.

I could ALSO be checking my credit score, updating an address, entering info into my nutritional tracker, checking the weather, accessing my GPS, seeing what’s on my work or personal calendar for the day/week, adding to my grocery list, reading the news, buying something, checking my email, taking a photo, making a doctors appointment, reading a book, bidding o an auction item, making a bank deposit or checking on balances or transferring funds or paying a bill......plus a whole lot more.

Now you tell me.....you just go ahead and tell me, that you DON’T do most of this stuff also??? That I do it on my phone while you do it at your desk doesn’t make me dumber than you, you know? It DOES however make my time management skills far greater than yours.

I’ve figured out how to do all that stuff, plus a WHOLE lot more, on something that combines all the crap you have around your house to manage everything I listed, into a device not much bigger than a pack of cards.

So you tell me.....who’s the dumb one here?
Sounds pretty smart to me as it seems to do everything for you. I also bet you don't cross the street looking at your phone & doing those things like some of the younger elements I see almost on a daily routine or taxing while driving which is a big problem where I live. The local police frown on this.

Sounds pretty smart to me as it seems to do everything for you. I also bet you don't cross the street looking at your phone & doing those things like some of the younger elements I see almost on a daily routine or taxing while driving which is a big problem where I live. The local police frown on this.
No 😂 I certainly don’t.

But “dumb” is neither gender nor age specific. Age doesn’t automatically fix stupid. For every idiotic thing that a young Gen z’er does I can find something similarly dumb for every generation up to and beyond we baby boomers.

No 😂 I certainly don’t.

But “dumb” is neither gender nor age specific. Age doesn’t automatically fix stupid. For every idiotic thing that a young Gen z’er does I can find something similarly dumb for every generation up to and beyond we baby boomers.

Yup. Plenty of foolish people in every generation, and lots of smart ones, too!

Saw a news piece on a high tech tradeshow somewhere and they have robot toilets and robot toilet paper deliver gizmos just to name a few. It dawns on me rom time to time where every day life is going. There is nothing silly about the Jetsons anymore. Sad really.

As in many things in life, I don't look at technology as either bad or good. But rather, will what ever it is, make my life better or serve me in some way. Most all things can be used to extremes.

I like the smart lights as it allows me to program random light patterns in various rooms at night while I'm away from the residence for extended periods of time. Something similar can be done with outlet timers, but they can't provide the random element. It's kinda like a hammer, not everyone needs one but it's handy to have when you need one.

How much electronics stuff you obtain should be a choice, unfortunately the technology companies want to make this to be a requirement instead of an option. I don’t want to be told what I can and can’t do in regards to paying my bills, utilizing cash and accessing information such as my medical records. That’s is one example of where I have the objection. I also do not believe the teachers, physimians, attorneys, etc. should substitute a computer brain for the lack of prudent judgment. For example a doctor staring at the computer system and lacking the ability to diagnose independently and using the computer as their only source of knowledge, the computer should be a complement to their knowledge not the only source of knowledge that they rely on.
Physician’s

Back