Smart Phone...AARGH!!!!!

Don M.

SF VIP
I've had a basic 3G cellphone, with service from TracFone, for years, We just carry it when away from the house, in case we have car trouble, or one of the kids needs to contact us. I don't Tweet or Text, and this forum is the closest I get to "social media".

A couple of weeks ago, TracFone said 3G would no longer be supported in a few weeks, and they offered some Smart phone replacements at a low price. So I had them send me a Samsung A10 Android. This phone arrived with all sorts of "aps", and part of the activation required creating accounts with Samsung and Google, and a couple of others. In an attempt to bypass all this "junk", I tried working with TracFone support....What a Joke! I think all those people were working from a site in Mexico, and only made things much worse.

With some research on the Internet, I was able to figure out how to Restore this phone to the basic factory settings, and bypass all the "smart" stuff. Now, it appears that I finally have a cell phone that just makes and takes phone calls. If I want to add any more of the "crap" I need to do so via WiFi...which I have never installed, or activated on our Internet/phone service.

If this doesn't pan out, I may just go to Walmart and buy a basic Flip phone, with a minimal prepaid subscription.

After this experience, I can see why so many people seem to be "married" to their Smart Phone....if they use much of the Crap these phones have, they probably have little time to perform other duties.

I've had a basic 3G cellphone, with service from TracFone, for years, We just carry it when away from the house, in case we have car trouble, or one of the kids needs to contact us. I don't Tweet or Text, and this forum is the closest I get to "social media".

A couple of weeks ago, TracFone said 3G would no longer be supported in a few weeks, and they offered some Smart phone replacements at a low price. So I had them send me a Samsung A10 Android. This phone arrived with all sorts of "aps", and part of the activation required creating accounts with Samsung and Google, and a couple of others. In an attempt to bypass all this "junk", I tried working with TracFone support....What a Joke! I think all those people were working from a site in Mexico, and only made things much worse.

With some research on the Internet, I was able to figure out how to Restore this phone to the basic factory settings, and bypass all the "smart" stuff. Now, it appears that I finally have a cell phone that just makes and takes phone calls. If I want to add any more of the "crap" I need to do so via WiFi...which I have never installed, or activated on our Internet/phone service.

If this doesn't pan out, I may just go to Walmart and buy a basic Flip phone, with a minimal prepaid subscription.

After this experience, I can see why so many people seem to be "married" to their Smart Phone....if they use much of the Crap these phones have, they probably have little time to perform other duties.
Good luck!

Good for you to work out how to bypass all the crap.
I am the same, never wanted a smart phone, never got a smart phone.
No pressure to get a smart phone from my telco.

Back