Smart Phones/Watches for Health

Jules

SF VIP
Do you use a smart phone and/or watch to alert or track your health?

My watch is almost always on my wrist, so if I needed to alert someone I can do it easily. Not that I’ve had any, I want to be prepared in the event of an emergency. My phone is right beside the shower every morning. Many falls happen in the bathroom.

When reading on an Afib site, the topic of a smart watch to alert you when in AFib came up. The vast majority swore by them. Some even had been suggested by their doctor that they should get them. Some hadn’t realized they were in AFib in the night. It might not be that they needed to do anything, just had the info for their doctor.

I’ve checked my blood oxygen and done a few ECGs on mine.

I definitely track my steps. It’s a reminder that I might not have walked enough that day and then go for another walk.

Now my watch can monitor my sleep patterns. I‘m not sure what some of the anomalies are. I’ll be doing more research on this.

There are other tracking devices for this too.

When my phone rings upstairs and I’m downstairs, I answer from my wrist. No racing up stairs to get that important call.

Technology can be a great thing, imo.

A couple years ago a Patek Philippe watch sold at auction for over $31 million. Neither the watch nor the buyer are particularly smart. Smart-looking, probably.

I haven't worn a watch since I retired. I don't think it would feel comfortable now, smart or not.

So, does your watch also act like one of those pendants that notifies an agency if you fall or something?

I have an iwatch. This is my second one, think it’s series 8. Bought it less than a year ago.
I do track my activity on it but haven’t set up the blood oxygen app yet.
I do like that if not too far from house I can answer and talk on my watch ( I do feel like Dick Tracy though). My daughter always calls when I’m taking the dog out to pee.

Yep - Apple Wtahc Series 8. It's a nice bit of kit. Connects to the machines I use in the gym and logs my activity/progress.
Unlocks my computer when I sit at it.
And all sorts of other clever gubbins :)

So, does your watch also act like one of those pendants that notifies an agency if you fall or something?
Yes it does. I had a couple of heavy thumps at home when it asked if I’d fallen. Easy to say no, so no alert was sent. Once I took a serious tumble (not my fault) when outside. My husband was with me so it wasn’t needed.

Last year a neighbour fell off a ladder. She was very seriously injured. A watch or other device would have been great. She laid on the ground screaming until someone finally heard her.

Unlocks my computer when I sit at it.
Now I’ll have to look that up. My iPad does face recognition so not needed for an unlock from the watch.

Have an Android type Smart Watch which I wear at home to monitor things like BP, Blood Oxygen,
Heart Rate, Sleep, ECG, etc.

Pairs nice with my phone and gives me messages and such.

Seems to be fairly accurate and use it as a guide, not the only source I have for such things.

For clarification, I didn't mean for the word "So" to be a taunt. I meant it more like "And does your watch..."

I really wanted to know if they have some type of notification feature.
It has many opportunity notifications such as I use my reminders, calendar and those show up on my watch. It shows me my activity; move, stand and exercise. I can check my blood oxygen, ECG and heart rate. Oh, I forgot crash/fall detection. Mine is a 6 so I’m sure the newer ones do a little more.

I have had the iwatch 8 for a few months. It's really nice for tracking your heart rate especially during fitness activities. It makes the cardio portion of the workout very efficient and helps my trainer to create effective routines. My favorite feature is 10 mins before the hour it reminds me to get up and eat.;) I'll show that watch who's boss!

It's also gone off a few times when I've crashed alpine skiing which if you don't catch quickly it will send your location to 911 and they'll send help. It's turned into a bit of headache for first responders.

Maybe First Responders could phone someone first when they see their location is on a ski hill. It’s not an uncommon problem.

I don't always have my phone on my when I'm doing stuff but I'm afraid to invest in a fitness watch. I have had watches "die" on me and not because they need new batteries. My niece has the same problem. So I've got two nice, practically new watches here that I can't use.

I don't always have my phone on my when I'm doing stuff but I'm afraid to invest in a fitness watch. I have had watches "die" on me and not because they need new batteries. My niece has the same problem. So I've got two nice, practically new watches here that I can't use.
The Apple Watch charges with a charger, just like you would charge up your phone or tablet. I put mine on the charger at night before bed when I am just relaxing and read a book, and then I wear it to bed for the sleep tracking function to monitor everything overnight.
My first health tracker operated from batteries, and it was a horrible nuisance with the batteries going dead and needing to be replaced, so the Apple Watch is way much better than having any kind of battery operated device, in my opinion.

You need a compatible phone for the watch to work properly, but otherwise, you do not even need to carry your phone around with you since the watch has its own cellular connection. I carry my phone along when I go somewhere, but it can stay right in my purse, because I can answer any important phone calls from the watch. With the watch on my wrist, I never have to worry about missing an important call anymore.

My best exercise is swimming, and the Apple Watch is perfect for that and it also tracks my swimming time and energy; so it is great for use in the water.
If a senior is able to use a smart phone, then I believe that having an Apple Watch (or Google Fitbit) is one of the best things you can do to monitor and track your health, and to keep you safe if you should fall, pass out, or have some other kind of accident.

The Apple Watch charges with a charger, just like you would charge up your phone or tablet. I put mine on the charger at night before bed when I am just relaxing and read a book, and then I wear it to bed for the sleep tracking function to monitor everything overnight.
My first health tracker operated from batteries, and it was a horrible nuisance with the batteries going dead and needing to be replaced, so the Apple Watch is way much better than having any kind of battery operated device, in my opinion.

You need a compatible phone for the watch to work properly, but otherwise, you do not even need to carry your phone around with you since the watch has its own cellular connection. I carry my phone along when I go somewhere, but it can stay right in my purse, because I can answer any important phone calls from the watch. With the watch on my wrist, I never have to worry about missing an important call anymore.

My best exercise is swimming, and the Apple Watch is perfect for that and it also tracks my swimming time and energy; so it is great for use in the water.
If a senior is able to use a smart phone, then I believe that having an Apple Watch (or Google Fitbit) is one of the best things you can do to monitor and track your health, and to keep you safe if you should fall, pass out, or have some other kind of accident.
Thank you HFL. I will never buy another iPhone or other Apple device besides a desktop computer. I had one iPhone which at the time batteries could not be replaced when they died. At that time Android phones had that capability so I switched to Android and have been happy with them ever since. They have all the features I need and are a lot less expensive.

I still have the good ole' fashioned watch. Sure I could afford a "fancy pancy" e watch or whatever you call it. I could afford a Rolex too but is that going to make me more happy then I am now? I somehow doubt it!

You see I really believe in the KISS principle: KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!

Don't laugh because that principle has allowed me to keep my money in the bank and never, ever worry about the high cost of living. I really like that principle!

Then you might want to look into into one of the Google Fitbit smartwatches, @OneEyedDiva . They look pretty comparable with the Apple Watch from what i have seen about them online, although I have never actually seen one of the Fitbit smart watches. It should work fine with your android phone, I would think.
HFL...would you believe I owned Fitibit stock not that long ago and I lost about $35 a share. Good thing I didn't own too many shares. I still don't understand why a company that was allegedly doing so well could have their stock tank like that! So I'm "too through" with Fitbit too! :LOL: Thank yo for suggesting options for me though. How sweet of you.

Back