So what does one do with their time?

Yesterday, we had to hire a large truck following a breakdown of one of our own. Our vehicle was repaired and is roadworthy again meaning that the hired truck can be returned. But it has to be back at seven am or our company will have to pay for an extra day's hire. Our warehouse manager has the appropriate licence to drive the vehicle so he was doing the job of returning it. That meant that someone had to pick him up at the hire centre and bring him back, a task that fell to yours truly.
Up and out by half six this morning, how I loved it, seeing the early starters, the early bus that went by, people stopping off to buy a newspaper, coffee or a sandwich. All that energy, it was wonderful. For those who are more than happy to see the back of it, good luck to you, enjoy the slower pace of life, but for me, that time is still a long way off.
well for sure you didn't see many doing those things during this lockdown...wait until Monday the glorious 12th, when so many people are back to work again for the first time in months and all the shops and salons and gyms etc are open again....:love:

and btw now it's only 8 days till I retire officially...:D:giggle:

At 66 I'm still working. I have a great job so it's also enjoyable, not really like work. We had talked one time about me retiring when I was 65 but then our oldest son got divorced and got sole custody of his two small kids and they moved back home with us, I guess I would say life happened so I decided to work a little longer. Not a lot of time for gardening and such but there is always lots of things going on at home. Overall, it's been a good thing for us.

Depends on personality type, really. Type A's either wither up and die of boredom, go back to work, or corral their energy for Type-A pursuits.

Type-B's have an easier time of retirement, as true creativity is self-driven. They end up with endless lists of retirement options, none of which they can decide on.

Type-C's plan obsessively for at least 30 years before retiring, perfecting massive spreadsheets about picking the perfect spot to retire in. Once there, they write essays and articles about where to retire during their free time.

Type-D's aren't exactly sure if they are retired or not- but then again, weren't all that sure about work, either.

After working my idea of retirement is about not doing anything that takes away from just enjoying being alive.

I guess I don't fall into any of the alphabet mentioned in post #180. Planned but not excessively. No lists, no set agenda for any day. That started 26 years ago when the choice to walk away at age 54 from a position that paid well with excellent benefits knowing it was a risk. Retirement is an unknown, filled with "what if's". Were past quite a few of those "what if's".

Last edited:
Thanks. Since we didn't have beards in country (wouldn't have anyway due to the humidity and heat), having a beard back in the world could remind me that I really was home. For a while there, that was important to me.

Tony
What do you mean "in country"? I was 3 years in the Army (one year in Vietnam) and we were never allowed a beard. After Vietnam, I still had 1½ years of active service left so I had to wait before I could grow a beard. And I did too. The day of my discharge I got started on it. Still have one .... ever since 1968.

Back