So, what is your average retired week like?

I wonder if they have activities besides physical ones? I’m interested in a craft class or maybe a games class or book club.
I think they do have a few things like that. We also have a Community Center that has a lot more social things including dance classes, yoga, and i believe games. For books clubs, our local library is the place to go in our area.

I think they do have a few things like that. We also have a Community Center that has a lot more social things including dance classes, yoga, and i believe games. For books clubs, our local library is the place to go in our area.
Thanks Pecos

my typical week is drumming , our photography hobby and baby sitting .

between those 3 i don't know how i ever found time to work
I am a frustrated drummer.....Wanted to learn it when I was a young girl my parents wouldn’t hear of it and now I’m too old LOL arthritis you know I’m glad you can enjoy it

Well, I wake up....hungover, reach for the remote in the early morning light which opens the bedroom drapes in my Malibu beach house to the full wall panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean. As I put the remote back I knock over several bottles of half empty Dom Perignon on my night stand.

I slowly roll over and pray that one of the Kardashians aren’t in my bed. Whew, nope, just some Victoria Secret model that I don’t even remember her name. So this is going to be awkward trying to figure that out.

I give her the keys to my Lamborghini and she heads off to get us some breakfast. Now I can Google her while she’s gone and figure out her name before she gets back.

10 minutes later the doorbell rings and it’s my neighbor, Jame Seymour ...ugh, can’t she just leave me alone......just for once!

Yeah, my typical day
I am cracking up.... Save me a sip of Dom Perignon.. Love that champagne 🍾

I retired a bit early - age 56 - I have no regrets. The way hubby work schedule is. we spend time together. We may catch a movie, go down to the beach on a nice day, catch a movie. I get on the computer to chat with my Senior Community new found friends:ROFLMAO: I am also writing a book which I should not mention because I am procrastinating terribly..lol But I am not stressing. I enjoy living life on my terms.

If I wake up in the middle of the night.. I put on my favorite movie, roll over and eventually fall back to sleep...PRICELESS!!

Well, I wake up....hungover, reach for the remote in the early morning light which opens the bedroom drapes in my Malibu beach house to the full wall panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean. As I put the remote back I knock over several bottles of half empty Dom Perignon on my night stand.

I slowly roll over and pray that one of the Kardashians aren’t in my bed. Whew, nope, just some Victoria Secret model that I don’t even remember her name. So this is going to be awkward trying to figure that out.

I give her the keys to my Lamborghini and she heads off to get us some breakfast. Now I can Google her while she’s gone and figure out her name before she gets back.

10 minutes later the doorbell rings and it’s my neighbor, Jame Seymour ...ugh, can’t she just leave me alone......just for once!

Yeah, my typical day
I want to live in your world when I retire! Then again, maybe I'd rather take a nap.

Besides the normal bathing and grooming stuff done each morning, I do the ritual washing and make my Fajr prayer before sunrise most mornings. Most Tuesdays and Thursdays (exercise days), I am ready by 8:00 a.m.to be picked up by senior transport and taken to the senior center.. I also plan to start exercising at least two additional days at home since I'm canceling my Planet Fitness membership. Also on non center days, usually twice a week, I go down to our complex’s laundry room before sunrise to wash clothes. Until a few days ago, I cleaned the machines, folding tables and emptied the lint traps on a volunteer basis on the days I washed clothes. Someone has been hired to do that now. I try to do a little cleaning in my apartment each day so as not to be overwhelmed.

I usually shop for groceries at the neighborhood supermarket once a week but in the past 9 days I shopped there twice and at Costco once. I spend a lot of time on the computer, my phone or tablet. I’m on three social networking sites and play Words With Friends & Cody Cross faithfully. About four times a week I’m on the phone with friends and/or family, sometimes having long conversations. membership and will start. I micro manage my finances (it’s like a hobby with me) and like to play with numbers so may spend a couple of hours a week doing that. I watch T.V. about 8 - 10 hours a week. Other things that may happen in any given week: appointments, lunching with someone, taking the train to the waterfront park (warm days) and shopping either online or at the stores downtown.

This past summer I spent every other week at our oceanfront timeshare. I want that to be my new normal in warm weather months. I’ll walk the boardwalk, take in their karaoke night (awesome singers), shmooze with some of the employees, use the fitness room, maybe do some shopping (besides the obligatory food shopping on Sundays), or take a boat ride and see a review show (I get free tickets).

Last edited:
Depends on the week, or the day. I have a general to-do list, of every day type tasks, that I always do, prepare meals, light housekeeping, laundry. All as needed. I often plan trips out so I do several in a day. Combining trips.
And yes, there are times when, even though retired I do a "day off" just to relax, read, watch TV etc.

06fd63ab84f39fa3185a60fa039d2206.jpg

When we both retired, we traveled to many places in the USA and the Islands....Now we are a little bit older we bought another home in another state....Just a 4 room cutie....We are keeping our home in our State....We come and go to both homes....
We stay in our State for the kids to have Christmas with us and my brother's family....Then we are out of here!!!!!!

The one thing I don't do is have a scheduled way for anything, nothing! I do everything when I want too. When I'm hungry I eat, when I'm tired I sleep, you get the drift? I spent over 300 days this years fishing, hunting, trapping and hiking. I spend endless hours at the ranch enjoying nature. That is my day and in no order what so ever.

I moved here in May of 2018, and after living by a schedule of daily chores, I promised myself no schedule. I have normal house cleaning chores I do daily but not at a certain time. Unless you count turning my coffee on first thing when I get up. I get up early every day. I am a computer person so have my coffee and check the computer and plan my day. I live in a small studio apartment so the chores don't take long.

uh. . .wake up around 5:00 (have never used an alarm, just wake up around 5:00 since I was a kid). Get up and turn on the computer and go make tea. Answer emails and peruse FB until around 6:30 when son # 1 calls. Chat with him on his way to work. Then get a call from son # 2 on his way to work and chat with him. After that, I hop in the shower, get some breakfast, and figure out what's on the agenda for the day. Some days I draw and paint; some days I read; some days I spend part of the day at the library and then out and about goofing around; on Thursdays, I generally go watch my friends' band play. . .so mostly, just whatever catches my fancy :giggle: oh, and sometimes I teach classes for the local senior citizen's center but am not doing it this session. Last session, I taught The Sociology of Aging (which I alternate with The Sociology of Emotions) and a dance class on Appalachian Flatfooting.

[/QUOTE]. Last session, I taught The Sociology of Aging (which I alternate with The Sociology of Emotions) and a dance class on Appalachian Flatfooting.
[/QUOTE]
:)All three of these classes have fascinating sounding titles .. wish I could attend them but I am half a country away!! Can they be taught long distance

. Last session, I taught The Sociology of Aging (which I alternate with The Sociology of Emotions) and a dance class on Appalachian Flatfooting.
[/QUOTE]
:)All three of these classes have fascinating sounding titles .. wish I could attend them but I am half a country away!! Can they be taught long distance
[/QUOTE]
Well, I suppose that is possible as I used to teach online classes as well as lecture classes when I was still teaching. Maybe I'll fire up my old website and load up some stuff for people. Here's a bit of the promo video the senior center used for my flatfooting class. That one would be hard to teach online :p

Get up.....about ten minutes after I wake up
usually it's in the AM....probably

Sometimes it's early enough to hear neighbors warming their cars up to go to work
That usually gives me a smile, right before giggling myself back to sweet slumber

Once up, I stroll into the kitchen to see what my lady is fixing me for breakfast, while scratching my hind end

Then here

Then the shower
I really could spend more time in the shower, like half the day
That thought usually hits me right after rinsing
I should look in to larger showers, with some sorta plastic pillows

Then our 3 mile walk to the lake

Then the shop
Crank up AC/DC or Led Z and figger out what next to build
That's pretty much my day right now

Night, I'm on here and about four other sites
Oh, and do some writing
Then we wake each other up around midnight and discuss actually going to bed

That's probably my week
Day of the week?
Let's see, Sunday is different....that's the day mail doesn't come
Kinda like
retired.jpg

uh. . .wake up around 5:00 (have never used an alarm, just wake up around 5:00 since I was a kid). Get up and turn on the computer and go make tea. Answer emails and peruse FB until around 6:30 when son # 1 calls. Chat with him on his way to work. Then get a call from son # 2 on his way to work and chat with him. After that, I hop in the shower, get some breakfast, and figure out what's on the agenda for the day. Some days I draw and paint; some days I read; some days I spend part of the day at the library and then out and about goofing around; on Thursdays, I generally go watch my friends' band play. . .so mostly, just whatever catches my fancy :giggle: oh, and sometimes I teach classes for the local senior citizen's center but am not doing it this session. Last session, I taught The Sociology of Aging (which I alternate with The Sociology of Emotions) and a dance class on Appalachian Flatfooting.
Very cool Marlene, I admire your style

My wife wakes up at 6 and makes coffee. I join her at about 615. We sit around for a while, talking and watching CNBC, making plans for the day.
At 7 or so we head off for our workouts. I swim a mile every other day and lift weights or hit the machines on alternate days. We meet back at the house at 9 or so and eat breakfast.

I still work about 4-5 hours a day, until early afternoon.

In the afternoons I read, play piano, write realliferetirementblog.com, or take the neighbor's dog for a walk (our own puppy arrives March 1). If the weather's nice I might play golf or ride a bicycle. I also goof off on the computer, playing chess or bridge, looking at old bands on YouTube.

Sunday nights we play bridge at a local center. Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings I sing in a choir.

Plus friends, relatives, trips to NYC and other diversions.

Could be worse. I would like to add a meaningful volunteer activity but I tend to stall out when it comes to actually doing something.

@JimBob1952 "Could be worse. I would like to add a meaningful volunteer activity but I tend to stall out when it comes to actually doing something. "

I have been volunteering most of my life for various causes and want to continue this in retirement, too. I am considering volunteer work in some of the state or local parks around here. There are several. I have always loved the outdoors and would like to put my efforts preserving the outdoor environment.

Of course, saying this and doing it are two different things. I guess you need to volunteer for something you are really passionate about to get you in motion.

Back