Some favourite toys you had as a child

Treacle

How things have changed with technology. Some things can still be bought - Yo Yos and french knitting 'dolls', my grandfather banged four nails into a cotton reel - not a safety issue then !!!!!!! o_O

Attachments

• etch-a-sketch.jpg
    etch-a-sketch.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2
  • french knitting.jpg
    french knitting.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2
  • build a bug.jpg
    build a bug.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
  • pink-yo-yo.jpg
    pink-yo-yo.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1
  • spirograph.jpg
    spirograph.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
When my son was very little @Pecos, I wanted to give him the Camp Experience, so I invented 'Camp Davy Crockett.' Every morning, we would sing the theme song. I had planned activities every day, and sometimes we would have 'guest' campers (friends) over, who would participate. At the end of the day, we would sing the theme song again. Loved Fess Parker as D.C. One of my very best shows to watch as a kid.

Books for when I was stuck indoors. On those days my one cousin and I would build a reading fort in the living room which annoyed my mother as we had a room in which to read. My bike and my skates were my principal toys since I loved to explore all over the place. Always carried marbles and trading cards with me for a game. I was such a tomboy.:)

I also remember the Slinky, Lite-Bright (resembled a small television where you plugged in coloured pegs into a perforated board that was backlit), Rock'em Sock'em Robots, Dinky Cars, Erector Set, Dart Guns, View-Master (remember that one)... plastic guns that fired little disks, Electra-shot Shooting Gallery, and HO Train Sets along with Slot-car Racing Sets were king!

When I was very young I loved playing with my doll house and other dolls and I loved my Howdy Doody marionette. I never really learned how to work the strings but I would tuck the top piece in the side of the piano bench which was the perfect height for him to stand up,at that point I could move the different strings without getting them all tangled up.
In my early teens I got a microscope that was advertised on the Mr. Wizard show. I spent hours looking at bug parts.
Then came the paint by number kits and my Jon Nagy learn to draw kit.

Back