Some people "are considered high maintenance"!

I think that expression began with "When Harry Met Sally." Harry told a friend that girls were like cars, a Porsha was high maintenance, but worth it, and girls like Sally were high maintenance, but worth it. Sally always wore the latest, expensive styles, had her hair streaked professionally, expected a lot from her boyfriends and made waitresses listen to a long list of instructions about how she wanted her food served with dressing on the side and no pickles touching anything, etc.

After that I started hearing girls brag that they were high maintenance and I felt sorry for all the waitresses that had to put up with them.

I'm extremely low maintenance, I can't stand to feel like I'm being a bother.

I am what you may call a light switch high maintenance gal. You can turn me on and off like a light switch. :D There are times I just want to chill and be in athletic clothes and no make up and have my hair in a scarf or wrap and I am good to go. There are other times where I need to be dressed to the nines, full make up and hair done like I am about to snatch up Denzel Washington. :ROFLMAO:

I am what you may call a light switch high maintenance gal. You can turn me on and off like a light switch. :D There are times I just want to chill and be in athletic clothes and no make up and have my hair in a scarf or wrap and I am good to go. There are other times where I need to be dressed to the nines, full make up and hair done like I am about to snatch up Denzel Washington. :ROFLMAO:
Oh I wouldn't call you high-maintenance for wanting to pull out all the stops once in a while, Carla, particularly if Denzel's around!

I always get all dressed up (hair/make-up/nails/heels) a few times a year for special occasions. I think it doesn't count as high-maintenance unless you cause a lot of trouble for other people or spend a fortune on yourself.

Absolutely not. Maybe I should have been more high maintenance.

I've seen my sister argue with her boyfriend, get in the truck, and say, "Drive me home. NOW." And he'd drive her home. Me, I'd be walking home, even if it was 10 miles.

Similarly, after a breakup I get nothing, no matter what I sacrificed or contributed. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a woman who gets half the house, etc.

My father-in-law was high maintenance. He died 12 years ago, and I never met his wife as she had died before I met my wife. So for the 11 years I knew him he was single. The problem was that his wife had completely spoiled him.

He came home weekdays and his slippers and cardigan were at his favorite leather wingback chair. The kids had already had dinner. He had dinner at his chair on a tv tray. Always something very nice--lobster Newburgh was not unusual.

She paid all the bills and managed the household and all the finances. His only responsibility was his job. When she died he was lost. My wife had to show him how to shop for groceries and how to do some basic cooking. We used to have him over quite often.

He would regularly call us at all hours when he couldn't get the dvd player to work or needed a lightbulb changed or some other household chore. I even installed a new garbage disposable. Fortunately he lived only a mile away.

But he was also one of the most generous people I have ever known, and one of the most entertaining when he had a crowd of people around him. He was a very dapper chap and resembled David Niven. I miss him and I have one of his sport coats I wear around the house.

Those old fashioned marriages like Oldlongwalker's FIL worked well for some couples. It was a division of labor that made sense in some ways, he went out to the job for nine to ten hours and she felt like, if she got to stay home, it was only fair that she do all the home chores.

I would have been glad to do that for a charming, good provider who looked like David Niven!

I do my own hair and never go to a hair dresser , have only had a professional manicure once but only because it was required as a maid of honour for a wedding.
Wear no jewelry or designer clothes
Make my own food so no asking waitresses for this or that on the side
Do my own yard work, housework
I’m a ‘do it myself’er’ ( currently redoing our kitchen cupboards) instead of purchasing new ones
I actually don’t expect anything from anyone however I do have high anxiety and don’t trust others.
Im very aloof and stand off ‘ish which doesn’t translate into high maintenance and I’ve never been divorced so haven’t needed to split a house or share the children or pets so in conclusion, I’m FAR from high maintenance.

I do my own hair and never go to a hair dresser , have only had a professional manicure once but only because it was required as a maid of honour for a wedding.
Wear no jewelry or designer clothes
Make my own food so no asking waitresses for this or that on the side
Do my own yard work, housework
I’m a ‘do it myself’er’ ( currently redoing our kitchen cupboards) instead of purchasing new ones
I actually don’t expect anything from anyone however I do have high anxiety and don’t trust others.
Im very aloof and stand off ‘ish which doesn’t translate into high maintenance and I’ve never been divorced so haven’t needed to split a house or share the children or pets so in conclusion, I’m FAR from high maintenance.
Good for you!!

Nope...I don't believe I am.. ..I don't demand a lot of attention, or money, or have temper tantrums when I don't get what I want...
Temper tantrums I can empathise with, especially when it comes to technology. It frustrates me that I had higher education but have been left floundering with laptops, TV recorders and all electronic gizmos per se, but the young who can barely spell their name seem as though they are born with the knowledge.

As for high maintenance, guilty as charged.

Back