Someone Tried To Use My Visa Card

With my debit card the bank contacted me to verify that the charges on my statement were valid.
My point was do you get reimbursed immediately or do the police get involved and is there a waiting period.

With my debit card the bank contacted me to verify that the charges on my statement were valid.
My point was do you get reimbursed immediately or do the police get involved and is there a waiting period.
No police involved. Ever. Please read your credit card fraud statement. If you don't have ZERO liability get a new card.
Case closed.

No police involved. Ever. Please read your credit card fraud statement. If you don't have ZERO liability get a new card.
Case closed.
I have a credit card. I never use it. My debit checking account suits me just fine.

Proof of loss has to be proven and the authorities get involved. It's a crime. It's not just the bank credit card that's involved.
I had this explained to my by my bank.

I have a credit card. I never use it. My debit checking account suits me just fine.

Proof of loss has to be proven and the authorities get involved. It's a crime. It's not just the bank credit card that's involved.
I had this explained to my by my bank.
get another bank

get another bank
No I'm perfectly satisfied with my bank. You don't have a clue when fraud takes place. The authorities get involved. You just can't claim fraud. You have to prove it.
Your bank won't cancel any fraudulent transactions on your credit card and reimburse you without investigating it.
Do you actually know the process involved or are you just speculating?

Read the link you just sent.

You just proved my point. Thank you.

It states:

"Fortunately, the consumer will not be on the hook for much: The federal Fair Credit Billing Act states that a card issuer can only hold a cardholder liable for up to $50 in fraudulent charges if the physical card is stolen. If the card number is used but the cardholder is still in possession of the actual card, the liability is $0.

It’s important to note that the rules are different for debit cards.
The Electronic Fund Transfer Act states that if fraud reported within two days of the statement date, liability is limited to $50. If reported after two days but within 60, liability is limited to $500. If reported after 60 days? The consumer is completely on the hook for any and all fraudulent purchases."

My point which you completely overlook in your attempt to prove yourself right is that the authorities do get involved and investigate.
I don't care if your liability is zero. You still have to wait for an investigation to get your money back. It's not automatic.
Question? Why are you so stubborn? What is in it for you that you have such zeal to discredit information provided by the authorities?
I live in Canada so the rules might be different. One size doesn't fit all.
You missed this.
"Investigating fraud is a complex process. Here’s what e-commerce merchants need to know about the process – and what their role is."

My point which you completely overlook in your attempt to prove yourself right is that the authorities do get involved and investigate.
I don't care if your liability is zero. You still have to wait for an investigation to get your money back. It's not automatic.
Question? Why are you so stubborn? What is in it for you that you have such zeal to discredit information provided by the authorities?
I live in Canada so the rules might be different. One size doesn't fit all.
You missed this.
"Investigating fraud is a complex process. Here’s what e-commerce merchants need to know about the process – and what their role is."
OK, OK look.

Once you report the fraud the credit card company deals with the authorities if need be.
Perhaps that is the point you are making.

My point is that once the card holder reports the fraud they have nothing to do with it after that, and ZERO liability as opposed to the debit card which is what started this whole thing.

The Card company has a whole sophisticated fraud dept. using datamining and other research software.

Let's say Nell Fenwick notices that an order for rope has appeared on her credit card bill.
Since she has never bought rope before, she reports it to the credit card company that her card has been compromised.

The credit card company cancels her card, and sends her a new one. The credit card company then lists the charge as fraud and puts it into the dispute/fraud area. She will get a TEMPORARY credit for that charge and not have to pay for it..Which is automatic by the way. (If the investigation finds out that it was a legitimate charge she will get charged back)

At this point Nell has nothing to do with the investigation as the card company will do all that.

If they find out that the charge for the rope has a credible chance of recovery they will at that point contact the RCMP.

Dudley Do right then follows up on the info given to him and arrests Snidley Whiplash for buying the rope which he planned on using to tie Nell to the railroad tracks and the card company gets whatever funds they can get.

If for some reason Dudley Do Right can't arrest Snidley, or recover the funds, and or rope, the credit card company writes off the charge as a loss.
Nell will then have the charge wiped off her account in either case, removed from the dispute/fraud and live happily ever after since she never had to pay for the charge or be bothered by the recovery process.

The whole investigation by Dudley Do Right, the RCMP, or the credit card company is invisible to Nell.

So perhaps this behind the scenes investigation process is what you are referring to.

My point is that it does not involve the card holder unless they reported the fraud falsely. And they do get the charge erased immediately.

Is this the fine point of distinction you are concerned with?

My point is that the credit card holder has zero liability, not so with a debit card.

Also, as you pointed out earlier, you don't use credit cards.

I use a credit card for almost everything.

My card gets a fraudulent charge every 18 months or so and I go through this process all the time. So I am speaking from experience as well

Does this clear things up?

Last edited:

Back