Son of Perdition - tales from the darkside

Thanks for posting your Cowboy Coffee recipe (and mistakes..helpful). I'm going to email a copy to my son in Alaska. He's fishing for salmon as we speak but has a break now and then. I suspect he usually gets his coffee at the local McDonalds for now. I remember when he was here he used a crazy amount of coffee grounds, didn't measure, said that's how he likes it....eek. He doesn't need caffeine. He's already uppity enough :D

Pretty soon, any day now, the local fish markets will finally carry Alaskan Wild-Caught King Salmon...the best...also costs the most but usually can find it on sale. I bake it at 400-425 for 15 minutes. Melts in your mouth.

Thanks for posting your Cowboy Coffee recipe (and mistakes..helpful). I'm going to email a copy to my son in Alaska. He's fishing for salmon as we speak but has a break now and then. I suspect he usually gets his coffee at the local McDonalds for now. I remember when he was here he used a crazy amount of coffee grounds, didn't measure, said that's how he likes it....eek. He doesn't need caffeine. He's already uppity enough :D

Pretty soon, any day now, the local fish markets will finally carry Alaskan Wild-Caught King Salmon...the best...also costs the most but usually can find it on sale. I bake it at 400-425 for 15 minutes. Melts in your mouth.
Back many years ago my daughter brought me a grinder & lb of beans, she lived out of state about a year later she came for a visit. Wife said I'd better do something with it. Ground it all up, wasn't at all impressed. What'd I do wrong? Read up got into the whole Arabica bean/burr grinder/freshly roasted scene. Drank that for years, then came 'French' press, really wasn't at all impressed with the stuff the coffee snobs were telling me. Found out after experimenting with my own version of 'Cowboy' coffee where I learned about the temp of water on the coffee, I had been using all the wrong equipment, cups & timing. As I see it now comparing 'cowboy' to French press, I see no difference like them both equally. Taste & methods are very similar. In fact I get less sediment when I follow the steps for cowboy coffee in my cup than I do with the FP. All I can say is Mr Coffee has no place on my counter. I'm not one for kiosk coffee & 'Starbucks' is too bitter.

A side note, it was an issue over my love of coffee & my religion’s ban, that drove me out.

I've been buying Salmon at the neighborhood Walmart. It's farmed Atlantic and goes for $8.74 a lbs. I've got some in the frig right now that I am going to fix tonight. I coat the baking pan with olive oil, then put in the salmon and sprinkle it with Old Bay seasoning, and then bake it at 350 until I think it's done. I put it in while the over is pre-heating which takes about 8 minutes or so, then leave it in for 10-15 minutes after it reaches 350, then I shut the oven off and leave it in for another 5. This has nothing to do with any special cooking process. It's just that I hate to waste all that electricity that the oven uses while it's heating up and cooling down. Anyway it's pretty decent Salmon, but I'm sure nowhere near as good as that Wild Caught stuff you are talking about. This is the fresh never been frozen salmon I'm talking about. Walmart also sells this frozen stuff. I tried it once and it was awful. I'd eat it again if I was in a situation like the Russians were during the Siege of Stalingrad, but that's about it.

I think tonight I'm going to try that 425 setting for the oven like you do. And I'll wait for it to fully pre-heat before I put it in and then time it for 15 minutes and see how that works. I'm going to have to look for that Alaskan Wild Caught King Salmon too. Most of the local markets sell local caught stuff from the Gulf. My favorite is Grouper but it is crazy expensive. Plus I hate to buy it because they have been decimated by over fishing. It takes a grouper about 6 years to reach maturity to where they can reproduce.

Here's my dad with a nice grouper he caught back around 1950.

scan0099.jpg

And here he is with two of my uncles with their catch for the day. As you can see they kept a lot of small fish including grouper that never got a chance to reproduce.

That was what people did back in those days and as a result the grouper population crashed. I remember when you could buy grouper for 30 cents a pound. Now you are lucky if you can get it for $15 a pound.

scan0100bb.jpg

Haven't read the book, with all my physical restrictions I had to adapt my needs & wants to what I was able to accomplish myself.

I understand what you are saying about the physical limitations. I was into biking in a big way and I had dreams of doing a cross America tour. Not on my own but on one of those fully supported tours. My wife and I did a number of shorter ones around Florida. They are a lot of fun. You just pack up all your camping gear in a duffle bag and they transport it for you from place to place. Plus they have support vehicles cruising along the route to help you if you get in trouble. And sag stops with drinks and snacks along the way. Usually they reserve a field at a local school where you can set up your camp for the night plus you can use the showers at the school. And they generally provide Breakfast in the morning and dinner in the evening. All you have to do is pack up your camping gear and put it on the truck. You take whatever you need for the day on your bike and ride to the next stop. They pick out nice rural scenic routes for you, provide maps, and you ride at your own speed. You meet a lot of interesting people on something like that. And the cost for all that is usual pretty reasonable. It's really a great inexpensive vacation. Now the cross America one would be quite an adventure. I think they take about 6-8 weeks. I was really looking forward to doing it with my wife who could outride me any day. However, she has epilepsy and her condition has gotten worse with age. It's controlled somewhat with medication, but she still is subject to seizures and about five years ago she had one while we were biking and crashed and broke her hip and had to get a replacement. That put an end to biking and now we are limited to day hikes. I suppose I could do something longer by myself, but I don't feel good about leaving her on her own like that.

Trade...I sure hope your salmon turned out alright or I'll feel responsible. Great pics of your dad (is that your shadow on his pant-leg?) and uncles...not to mention the grouper! The fresh wild caught Alaskan King Salmon is about $23-27 per lb. but It's been as low as $17 on sale. I don't buy much so it doesn't matter that much. I figure one portion for me is about $6 and I buy 2 portions at a time. You can't get a McDonalds lunch for that (I'm guessing since i haven't been there in about 30 years). I just use olive oil and sea-salt, and sometimes sprinkle Panko crumbs in with that on the top. Then squeeze fresh lemon on top when done. Alaskan King Salmon season is way too short though.

Your overnight biking trip sounds like so much fun. I did one like that in Williamsburg VA. as a day-trip. I biked with the ski-club, small group (a dozen) as we rode from Plantation to Plantation. The plantations had refreshments for just us when we arrived. It was beautiful weather and flat terrain so fairly easy but a long day I remember. The ski club had hike's and such planned year round to stay in shape for ski season. I sound athletic but, no. I was an okay tennis player but struggled to keep up with the ski-club.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. It's nice she has you to be there for her. You're an angel.

Son_of_Perdition...I'm on an organic herbal tea (no-caffeine) kick right now because I think coffee was making me feel hungry (I don't like de-caf), so I've put my coffeemaker in the cupboard but it's a Braun with a fine metal mesh filter. I also would insert a brown paper filter, though not necessary they said. And I always used deer-park spring water. Not just purified, but Spring (although our city water is rated excellent but I don't trust it). I think it helps the flavor of the coffee. I would use Peet's Italian Roast or Whole Foods bulk coffees where you can get as much or as little at a time and grind the beans in the store. I would add Whole Foods Unsweetened Almond Milk or Costco's Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.

Trade...I sure hope your salmon turned out alright or I'll feel responsible.

I did it at 400 for 15 minutes and it came out fine. But to be honest, I couldn't tell any difference from my usual method, so I'll go back to baking it at 350. I use 350 almost all the time because it's the default setting. All I have to do is hit bake, then start and it takes 7-8 minutes to preheat. But yesterday when I set it for 400 it took 15 minutes to pre-heat. So it took as long to get from 350-400 as it did to get from room temperature to 350. Seems like a waste of energy to get that extra 50 degrees.

Back in my earlier days of my semi-forced retirement in 2009, I approached my wife with the idea to join the 'snow-bird' movement. We lived in N Utah, we had a large (2,700 sq ft) home, too much for her & I to care for. We wanted desperately to downsize & move to a more hospitable climate (her want). I on the other hand wanted to keep on the move, never putting down roots, we had done that! I wasn't into gardening, hoarding (my term, hers collecting), hanging onto memories. I just wanted to experience new. Only problem was my health, I knew something was amiss. Little did I know what the next 5 years would hold. Surgery, chemo, Type II, change of lifestyle (diet, weight loss & getting healthy).

Now 8 years later & much healthier, normal weight I still have my feet planted in albeit a new spot but with the same old thoughts & routines. She still loves her garden, smaller cheaper home. Our space rent like everybody else's is rising. We are paying (with all our utilities), upkeep & rent now about what I was paying monthly for my old house payment including taxes/int. My new taxes are very very low compared to what I would be paying on the older home. All my children & grand children are coping with life without much help, thanks to their persistence. I'm in a good spot financially, not rich but able to meet all my bills, save a little & even go to a movie now & then.

I jumped into the Van Dwelling with both feet & no thoughts about the outcome. I been camping locally testing the waters, haven't lost my enthusiasm for 'moving on' but been having new thoughts about my approach. Looking at all the configurations RV's, truck & camper, van (mini's & cargo), tiny homes, even how do the car campers do it. I have come away with what I hope is a doable solution to my dreams. A heavy duty pickup/shell & smaller self-contained travel trailer. I could carry excess cargo in my pickup, pull my living quarter's behind me, park it, unhook & use my pickup for shopping, sight seeing & mobility. There are some inherent problems with any configuration, as there is with home ownership.

My wife, oldest daughter (whom just sold her home & going to homestead somewhere) & I were discussing the homeless, housing crunch & associated costs. That fruit didn't fall from that tree! She likes gardening but isn't married to it, has about a 5 year attention span so the nomadic life is very attractive to her. My grandson just graduated from college & is relocating to the Southwest, his father & mother (divorced) still live in areas around N Utah. My divorced grand-daughter is talking about moving her & her 2 children to CA. My youngest daughter lives near us but her husband is capable & has the skills for working almost anywhere & has moved a few times for work. In other words my family, the typical American family will be spread all over the west. We don't have roots, just places we live.

I know a few of the problems associated with 'snow-birding' & think I can live with them. My wife has her SS income & with her share of my pension is quite capable of living in her home & park. According to my perception & thoughts on the matter going nomadic is a possibility for me. No ties, no tangible memories only what's in my mind. I can & have toured many places in our small travel trailers, my only issue is backing the damn things. But practice makes perfect. I have my 'Senior' pass that gets me 50% off at most of the campgrounds. I'm not afraid to boon-dock on BLM land for free nights. One can in theory live in the USFS campgrounds on less than $300 a month, that cost includes utilities, even power, flush toilets, drinkable (potable) water, garbage, sewer, gray water dumps, some even have personal waste dumps.

You can stay for 14 days/nights in any campground. When you have to move you need to relocate more than 25 miles from your previous site. Following the sun so to speak. Pacific NW in summers & into the fall, SW NV/AZ in the winters into the springs & on the road during the late springs/late falls. Gas (?), insurance, food (you have to eat anyway), don't need wifi when you have McDonald's, Starbucks, Libraries, Free wifi spots. Cell service for emergencies, no text or data just talk. All the costs are things you need now so what's different on the road. I can stay in 26 different camps throughout the year, meet new people & if they bother me I can move on. I have lived without cable for 6 months & it gets easier on a daily basis. Tomorrow I'm off for a few days at Bogus Creek campground.

Today I bought me one of the last items I thought I'd EVER need. After my 'hypothermia' camping trip my wife suggested I get me a pair of long johns or PJ bottoms, I normally do wear a t-shirt most nights. I bought a pair of PJ bottoms this morning for tomorrow's journey couple that with a warm pair of socks, my Mr Heater (Buddy), by golly! I'm ready for whatever Mother Nature can throw at me. I haven't had a pair since I can remember when, my mother would be able to tell if she was still here.

Picture? Please? ;)
If you're talking about the PJs I don't think either one of us want to see that! Maybe 50 years ago. Besides I just loaded all my clothing & canned food in the van under the bed. It does take about 5 times banging your head on the roof to remember it's there.

The latest camping trip was a success in most ways, but there were a few downsides. 1. I will need to use a decent set of pots n pans. Eggs, done ok, hobo dinners were good, got real tired of nothing but canned chicken. I'm NOT destitute so why am I skimping on the main course. A steak now & again is not going to do me under at this late stage of life. I can't have hot dogs (my pre diabetes favorite), but I think I can have a burger sans bun or a T-bone once in awhile. 2. Beans, good - sweet potatoes, very good - carrots too raw, need to get them closer to the fire. Apple sauce still a mainstay @ 10PM. 3. DON'T forget the mosquito spray next time. I had to sacrifice the mornings & after 6PM to the little critters. Yesterday I was watching a real life scene on what certain insects do to other insects, I would slap the pests around my neck, face & hands (I was wearing heavy clothing) brush them off then watch as the busy little ants would haul them off to their lair. Over pine needles, what ever was in their path. It don't take much to entertain me.

4. The 'Mr Heater' (Buddy) worked great, turned it on before turning in, again at my 2 AM rising, then just before getting dressed in the AM to begin my mosquito recon. 5. The 'cowboy' coffee was fantastic, did have to let it boil a little longer since I was up about 3000 ft. 6. The new heavy iron fire pit grill worked great, didn't lose my hobo dinners through the government grills that have 4 inch spaces. I just laid it across those & tossed the foil wrapped dinner on top, 30 minutes later I was playing 'hot potato' with them trying to get them unwrapped.

My camp I chose was called Bogus Creek Campground on 138 E of Glide, OR (see pics), 138 is the main W 2 E approach to Crater Lake Oregon. Been there a few times. Decided 2 nights/3 days is about all the dirt & grime - no shower that I can stand. This trip 4 days 3 nights I was starting to get a little 'gamey'. A shower was the first order of business.

boguscreekcamp1.jpgboguscreekcamp2.jpgboguscreekcamp3.jpgboguscreekcamp4.jpgboguscreekcamp5.jpg
Didn't have a lot of neighbors, I stayed in the first one (pic). Of the 14 spots only 3 were occupied more than one night, mine, camp host & a friendly pair who willed me all their ready firewood when they left. I still getting rid of things I found I don't need. Down to 4 crates, cooler, clothing & bedding. Next jaunt will be around the 18th of July. Hate to compete on the 4th with all the others.

Sounds like a nice camping trip Son, you're right about the steak, they taste so good made over a fire. Oregon's pretty country to enjoy outdoors. :)

Beautiful photos...clear and pretty colors of nature. Nice clean campsite. Love the sunlight coming through the trees.

If I get bit by a mosquito I scrub it with soap ASAP, dry it, apply pure coconut oil, leave it a few minutes while it itches even more, wipe it off, apply a fresh application of the pure coconut oil...done. It stops itching for good. Probably because coconut oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties.

A natural solution for mosquito repellant is to add a few drops of lavender oil to pure coconut oil...if you don't mind smelling like a girl lol

I am the 'LINUX' camper, some are Windows campers, (trucks, travel trailers & campers) while the elite of the camper realm are the Apple campers. Fancy motorhomes, self contained, satellite dishes, microwaves, TVs - Class 'A', 'B' or 'C'. Can't agree that's much of a camping experience. You need to get dirty, grimy & smell like a forest fire. That's camping. This AM I did relent about my resolve to avoid doing dishes, I bought me 2 'Lodge' cast iron skillets, one 10" & one 8", should be able to fry my eggs & ham or steak whatever I decide. I can then turn them face down on the fire pit grill to let the pit purify them. Got to thinking about all the foreign material we consume daily from whatever we eat. Rodent dropping in your coffee grounds, the FDA allows so much. You read everyday about something recalled for health reasons or things that shouldn't be in your meals but is.

You can wipe the pans out but what does it hurt to have a few lumps from breakfast mixed into you burgers at noon? Have you ever stopped at McDonald's, I have and had a few friends that worked there, nuff said. Another friend worked at Oscar Mayer's in Ohio for a few years, to this day he will not allow his 4 offspring & now his grandchildren to consume hot dogs. We live in the US or other civilized countries, but do you realize what many of the residents of other countries are consuming on a daily basis? Check out one of the delicacies that Cambodians go into the forest to hunt. With 6 billion humans inhabiting the earth do you think that everyone eats Carl's Jr, Burger King or French cuisine? Think again. Andrew Zimmerman's show proved that belief was false.

Back to my planning for my next journey.

I like your kind of skillet cleaning. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry if I came across too strong, but I remember camping with my father. We eat things that didn't start out in the mix. We used cast iron dutch ovens for roasts, breads, stews,,,etc. My mom would just wipe them out, turn them over in the fire for a few minutes then store them. It brought to mind last Sunday my wife wanted a hamburger on the charcoal burner, fire it up, wipe it a little, slap a burger on. No fuss, the flames sterilized the grate. She washes those once or twice during the summer but usually just let the flames & paper towels clean them. You're not susposed to use those wire brushes anymore, gets metal bits from the wire bristles. I'm not too sure they digest. I don't think your goats would want to eat them.

I'm sorry if I came across too strong, but I remember camping with my father. ...

I'm not too sure they digest. I don't think your goats would want to eat them.

I was serious Son. It sounds like a great idea, especially camping. No bad things could survive on the skillet.

Don't know about steel, but people routinely dose goats with copper rods, in copper deficient areas. Reason: Slow release. It takes about a month to dissolve in the stomach.

Copper bolus (capsule) contents: :p

IMG_0551-e1482292270221.jpg

Two things on my horizon today. Planning my next journey a little closer to home. The campground is located within 33 miles of my home. I was clued in to it by my daughter, she loves to take road trips with her dog in & around Oregon. One place she recommended to me was Whittaker Recreation Area/Campground the campground is larger than the others I've stayed at with 31 sites, mostly tent camping or smaller RV/trailer. The largest they recommend is 35 feet, no electricity or hookups/waste. Riding through I noticed that most were secluded & smaller parking spaces so pushing a 35 foot RV into those spots won't allow much more than the rig.

They have flush toilets, garbage, host & most amenities that other sites have. The river is slow flowing very clear, & it mentions swimming. I wouldn't be fearful of any of the river I could see, no rapids, slow flowing pools, it does mention fishing but in Oregon you had better know the rules. No live bait, a lot of flying fishing, certain species are off limits so knowing what they allow will keep you on the right side of the Fish & Game. All campsites seemed to have a level spot for tents, of the 31 sites very few were occupied. I'd say less than 1/4. It was a Tuesday & finding that most campers are weekend campers it is the best time to locate a vacant spot. All sites are on a first come, first serve basis, no reserves. Your stay can be up to 14 days so it would work well in my vagabond camping in & around Oregon.

Each spot is $10 half that ($5) if you have a 'Senior Pass' which I have. It's getting cheaper with each passing week. I WILL take my mosquito spray with me. Also I have changed my concept of not doing dishes a little I will cook with a cast iron skillet, wipe it clean then store it. I have been experimenting with different meals on my Bar-B-Que this last week. Working fine, today I tried my new mainstay veggie 'Sweet Potatoes'

Reading up on them, if the hype is anywhere near the truth, they are the miracle food. They have been used for centuries with great results, they can feed the needy, homeless & masses with great nutrition & health benefits. AND, they are damn easy to prepare, this noon I sliced the ends off, turned it lengthwise & sliced them in half the long way. Placed them face down in my 8" skillet with a little virgin olive oil. Took about 10 minutes after I got the heat controlled. I didn't use any seasoning, (forgot) but they were very edible. Complex carbs are important for blood sugar control & body nutrition.

Taking my trusty 'Lodge' skillet in hand, wife was off on errands so she left it up to me to make my own breakfast. It’s usually a 3-egg omelet. Got the pan, cheese, eggs, small canned chicken, chilies & EV olive oil in ready mode. Heated pan, added oil, then when it spread nicely I poured the egg/chilies mix into the pan. Everything ok so far, when I thought the timing was appropriate I spread a thin layer of shredded cheese & the chicken came next. Let it cook for a short time, everything ok up to that point.

Lastly tried to fold the eggs into what I assumed looked like an omelet. First thing I discovered was that cheese is not recommended when wanting to wipe out the pan for reuse. The chilies kept the eggs somewhat in original texture. It folded ok, but noticed uncooked eggs which I tried to remedy by turning the concoction. Half went over the other half resembled something I'm not sure what. Finally giving up trying to make a world class omelet I grabbed fork, chopped in all into scrambled eggs. I must say it all worked for taste but would not win any omelet beauty contests.

The pan on the other hand was playing difficult, cheese crusted covering about 1/3 of it. It had become one with the pan, scrape, scrape, scrape with my non-metal spatula until I had cheese confetti piled in the center, dump - never use cheese again, add it when the eggs hit the plate. The meal was satisfying but unsightly, my answer to anyone's query would be 'I meant to do it like this!' my usual answer to justify my mistakes.

Watching an over-the-top 'Vegan' produced documentary (What the Health) on Netflix last night got me to thinking about my diet & personal health. Being diabetic on the mend so to speak, I took exception to the premise that all dairy, animal protein, eggs,,,etc were the devil's workshop. I came away with a new resolve, at first I jumped on the band wagon to ban all the 'evil' food groups from my diet. Then I watched, researched the credits for sponsorship. While there were no real vilians or groups that benefited from the documentary save 'Vegans' I decided the regroup my thoughts. My CBC is great, in the opinion of my PCP & Oncologist. Both very happy with the results, A1C/Tumor markers,,,etc. I was on board with going radical vegan, for about 5 minutes.

But in my reasoning since I decided I would take a different approach, adopting more of a vegetarian, actually ovolacto-vegetarian who can eat a few eggs, whole dairy products including moderate servings of cheese & a small (3-4 oz) serving of meat. In my charts for my glucose counts I did discover that red (beef) would spike it a little, not much but if I stayed with pork/poultry I was okay. My LDL cholesterol counts were acceptable/normal but at the high end. My HDL was smack dab in the middle of normal. My BP is normal but is medicated. I would like to get off the meds for that, so maybe going a more moderate approach with my meat consumption I can actually entertain the idea to get off my pills.

My camping days were going along fine but this documentary showed me I was thinking too far outside the box. Damn! My non-dish washing days compromised. Wife suggested I go back to the idea of cooking with a limited set of cast iron pans and hang the idea to eat only plant based food, go with the frozen chicken breasts/pork chops/steak or lean hamburger, it's only for 2 days a week not forever! They will stay frozen for that long & it's easier to wipe the skillets when using a little EVO (Extra-Virgin-Olive) oil. Eat my scrambled eggs & sausage in the mornings (2) have oatmeal at home the rest of the week. This I can do. I can use the 'hobo' approach with my steam veggies in tin foil/real butter/Mrs Dash. Of course nothing is going to get my 'cowboy' coffee, matter of fact not one negative point about drinking coffee, except the use of half n half, FORGET IT!

The only thing I agreed with them on is the dangers of processed foods, realizing & avoiding the canned meats which are processed, loaded with sodium & preservatives. Yep, will be better off with fresher cuts of meats. Just hope the farmers haven't loaded them down with added sodium & hormones. They never did touch on the idea of eating more insects in our food chain which is almost a given. Good protein!

Back in 2004 there was a book published with the support of 'Prevention' health books, authored by Sari Harrar. It was called 'The Sugar Solution' my wife & daughter became fans of the book. I remembered all the salads, veggies & beans. Of course I figured that I was 'bullet' proof, but would go along with it since they were my cooks. Can't remember what results were forthcoming but I think I did lose a little weight. Moving on with my hot dogs & 'Hot Pockets' I soon fell back into my old routines. Lately I resurrected the idea because of my Type II & all the research pointed to beans or 'Complex Carbs'.

I have incorporated many complex carbs in my management of glucose, beans as with most other complex carbs have high carb count. I shied away from them for a time but now realizing what they actually do for a diabetic I've returned. My Medicare supplemental health care provider calls me now every 6 months for a follow up. The last was in April '17. She had checked with my PCP's report & both her & the PCP suggested I continue on my weight loss regime. My weight at the time & BMI were both in the normal range for my height, age & scale numbers. They wanted to see a small loss (3 lbs) by October '17, I guess it's to give me a goal or a reminder to eat properly.

My oncologist wanted me to stop with the weight loss, since a cancer patient does a little better having a few extra lbs in case he needs to go back on chemo. My numbers all good, my results of my last colon procedure was clean, in fact the professional told me at my age, counts that I'm through with any more invasive tests. Great news to me but the oncologist said 'NAY!' we need one more at 75. I've decided against it because of the potential dangers that older seniors have the chance to experience as they age. It's a point of contention with me & the wife but unless I become mentally unable to care for myself I think I'll ignore that suggestion.

Back to the complex carbs, I have been including them - beans, sweet potatoes, fruits,,,etc in my diet. I found that I feel fuller, have less trouble between meals with hunger & have lost the magical 3 lbs that I was told to shoot for. My BS counts are low, I've lowered the units of insulin from 14 long acting/12 short acting to 12 long acting/6 short acting daily. I only take my BS test 3 times a day rather than 5, saving a few pennies in strips & insulin. The PCP indicated in April that maybe I can stop with the insulin in October, but that depends on my test results. I have been managing it on my own so I hope to get the clearance to stop completely - except taking the Metformin, something I expect to do the rest of my life.

The book is no longer in publication & reviewing my wife's copy I found that some of the author's suggestions are not in line with today's information, it's like everything else someone who needs to justify their job suggests changes to the lists & you just have to find out for yourself how it affects you personally. I did a search for 'Sugar Solution' but found that a Mark Hayman has created a program, he can charge for his advice, humpf. He was also endorsed by the 'Clinton' foundation & comes across like a Tony Robbins of the diet community. Some sites list him as a 'scam' artist. I can't say one way or the other but the original book was pushing complex carbs & that seems to work for me.

Back