Soup, Beautiful Soup

food-drink-pharaoh-ramses-plagues_of_egypt-locusts-ancient_egypts-KF100244_low.jpg

Bonjour....

From Japan:

We make fresh Miso soup daily...ingredients bought at Asian stores or Amazon.​

Boiled filtered water,​

1 ..2 tbls Red Miso paste,​

cut 3..6 plates dried Japanese seaweed into thin strips,​

pc Fresh Ginger root, ! 2 cm, skin, cut into very thin slices, crush or chop

Add chopped green onions, cooked tofu cubes as desired.

No animals! Great taste! Very healthy!​

Hai!

+++++++++++++++++​

French Soupe à l'Oignon Gratinée​

French Onion Soup...A bit of France (and heaven!) on a cold day.

https://www.seriouseats.com/french-onion-soup-recipe

Have an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC day!

Jon

Attachments

• miso-soup.jpg
    miso-soup.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 2
  • OnionSoup.jpg
    OnionSoup.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
I supplement my pot of soup in the fridge with the water from drained vegetables. There’s no meat in my soups so it’s good for about 4 days. They used to suggest keeping your vegetable water to add to the broth. I never could remember when I started it or it ended up being too long, so I gave that up. Keeping it in the freezer didn’t work; the lid froze on.

Bonjour....

From Japan:

We make fresh Miso soup daily...ingredients bought at Asian stores or Amazon.​

Boiled filtered water,​

1 ..2 tbls Red Miso paste,​

cut 3..6 plates dried Japanese seaweed into thin strips,​

pc Fresh Ginger root, ! 2 cm, skin, cut into very thin slices, crush or chop

Add chopped green onions, cooked tofu cubes as desired.

No animals! Great taste! Very healthy!​

Hai!

+++++++++++++++++​

Jon​

I love miso soup, and often use reduced-sodium white miso as a soup base. I make a soup very similar to the one you describe (without the ginger, but with baby bok choy and napa cabbage).

Even reduced sodium miso is quite high in sodium so I don't eat it every day.

I'll have to try it with ginger. Thanks for the tip.

Do they like cilantro and scallions?
When I first ate cilantro, I hated it. Was in my late teens and new to California. Came to love it over time though. My grands have been eating cilantro since they were introduced to solid food, because it has such a large presence in Mexican cuisine.

Mexican food in Southern California is like Italian food in the Northeast: relatively inexpensive, pervasive, and almost always delicious. It's often the go-to cuisine for family parties and gatherings.

You're golden if you make a couple of trays of enchiladas, set up a taco bar, heat up some refried beans (maybe add a thing or two to them), throw together some Mexican rice in a rice cooker or instant pot. Maybe add a salad and be sure to have tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole.

Love soup, love to make soup. I am not known for anything special in the way of personality, but people have said I make good soups.

So when I saw this quote just now, I felt so uplifted and happy. Especially since the quote is by someone I've always greatly admired. So, my brag is:

iu
I do not make homemade soups.
I purchase the packaged Lipton Chicken Noodle Soups.
I sometimes purchase the Manischeweitz packaged Split Pea And Barley Soups.

This is an idea I wish I had thought of years ago.
I've made bone broth from chicken carcasses, etc. For a while. That is for freezing in batches.

The new idea is that now when we have pork chops or steak or any meat we cut around the bone instead of eating around it.
I save these bones in a quart freezer bag along with celery, onion, etc scraps.
I have two full bags. One with meat, one with chicken .
I intend to throw a bag in a pot in the morning with maybe 2-3 cups water and simmer 4-5 hours for a bone broth.
That evening , strain and throw in whatever soup ingredients I have.
Real bone broth is expensive but it provides a lot of protein. You wouldn't necessarily have to add protein to the soup.

I'm thinking about all the bones I've thrown away over the years and the healthy soups I missed.

Overkill? 😁🍵

This is an idea I wish I had thought of years ago.
I've made bone broth from chicken carcasses, etc. For a while. That is for freezing in batches.

The new idea is that now when we have pork chops or steak or any meat we cut around the bone instead of eating around it.
I save these bones in a quart freezer bag along with celery, onion, etc scraps.
I have two full bags. One with meat, one with chicken .
I intend to throw a bag in a pot in the morning with maybe 2-3 cups water and simmer 4-5 hours for a bone broth.
That evening , strain and throw in whatever soup ingredients I have.
Real bone broth is expensive but it provides a lot of protein. You wouldn't necessarily have to add protein to the soup.

I'm thinking about all the bones I've thrown away over the years and the healthy soups I missed.

Overkill?
😁🍵,
I don't think it's overkill, @hearlady. I think it's smart to get all you can out of whatever you buy. Yeah, it takes some effort to make the broth, but it's worth it. ;) Why waste something that is useful to make something so healthy?

I save my bones and do the same thing you do. I cut the meat off the bones, wrap them up, and freeze them until I have a lot. I defrosted the bones and roasted them in the oven. What ever bones I have (chicken, beef, pork) goes all together into a big pot to make the bone broth. When I start it, after I add water just to cover the bones, I add a shot of apple cider vinegar to it. That helps release the gelatin in the fibrous tissue that bonds to the bones. Then simmer it for a few hours, add in aromatics, and continue to simmer low and slow overnight. That ensures a collagen-rich broth with a gelatinous consistency once it cools. I strain it in the morning and portion it into quart-sized jars to freeze. 🙃🙂

Bella✌️

I don't think it's overkill, @hearlady. I think it's smart to get all you can out of whatever you buy. Yeah, it takes some effort to make the broth, but it's worth it. ;) Why waste something that is useful to make something so healthy?

I save my bones and do the same thing you do. I cut the meat off the bones, wrap them up, and freeze them until I have a lot. I defrosted the bones and roasted them in the oven. What ever bones I have (chicken, beef, pork) goes all together into a big pot to make the bone broth. When I start it, after I add water just to cover the bones, I add a shot of apple cider vinegar to it. That helps release the gelatin in the fibrous tissue that bonds to the bones. Then simmer it for a few hours, add in aromatics, and continue to simmer low and slow overnight. That ensures a collagen-rich broth with a gelatinous consistency once it cools. I strain it in the morning and portion it into quart-sized jars to freeze. 🙃🙂

Bella✌️
I forgot I should roast the bones first. I do that on my big batches.
I use vermouth instead of ACV but I could use that when I'm out.
Good ideas! Thanks

I forgot I should roast the bones first. I do that on my big batches.
I use vermouth instead of ACV but I could use that when I'm out.
Good ideas! Thanks
I always have ACV on hand, or sometimes instead I'll use a splash of white wine if I have it around. I usually have vermouth as well, but I forget that I can use that too. ;)

Back