Soy insulated wires in Tesla electric cars being eaten by rats

40 years in construction and engineering, probably could relate at least 50 incidents of contractors' equipment being disabled by mice eating wires. At our golf course, we have about 50 member owned carts stored in rental sheds. During winter months, we will provide rat poison... if the member asks for it... to put in the sheds. If they don't, they will have golf carts disabled or other damage from the mice. A couple years ago, a lady had the shoelaces totally chewed out of a pair of golf shoes in her shed. I saw them!!! A couple small pieces of the laces a few feet away, but most of them totally gone. The shoes did not appear touched. The lace eyelets weren't touched. Just the laces themselves.

I don't see where the auto manufacturers have any responsibility/liability re the rodent issue. The more dependent on computer chips and technology our vehicles become, the more damage rodents can do. Were I her, I'd have called my auto insurance agent. What's the difference between rodent damage, flood damage, wind damage, hit & run damage???
Mice, and rats, eat the wiring in your house as well. They make nests in the insulation. Ugh,I can’t stand mice, as for rats, I hate rats. They will bite you.

Mice, and rats, eat the wiring in your house as well. They make nests in the insulation. Ugh,I can’t stand mice, as for rats, I hate rats. They will bite you.
When our youngest was in high school, he needed to get a "pet" to keep in the biology room. Hamsters, gerbils, mice, etc. were recommended. He wanted a rat!! Off to a local pet store we went. Told the owner what we wanted. He said, "I'll be right back." Out he came with a breeder rat that must have weighed 5 pounds. HUGE!!! "Rats are one of the most intelligent of rodents. It may take a rat months or years, but they WILL figure out a way to escape from their cage." That ended the prospective rat purchase!!!! He ended up with gerbils.......

I encountered this problem about 35 years ago on luxury British cars.
I experienced it myself with a golf cart when I lived in Arizona. I put a sock full of moth balls by the battery, no more problem.
More recently I have seen electronic widgets that mount under the hood that use ultrasound to drive the vermin out.

My daughter had a sudden rat invasion a couple of years ago, into her attic and from there, down into the garage, and the rats were all over her Mini Cooper; so I believe that it probably had the soy based wiring. I was just reading about this, and it appears that almost ALL vehicles made since 2012 have the soy wiring.
There has been a big housing boom the last few years, so I wonder if they are also using the bio-plastic (which is what it is technically called) in house wiring ?
This could cause house fires, as well as huge wiring problems if they are doing that as well.

Does Your Car Have Soy Based Wiring? [UPDATED 2023] – How to Prevent Rats from Eating Your Car Wires

Student: "I'm sorry Teacher, but my dog ate my homework."

Policy Holder: "I'm sorry Insurance Company, but a rat ate my car."

This is F-ng bizarre.
Oldie but goodie I guess.

The soy flavor is just a bonus they were probably young rat teething. Young critters will chew or bite on just about anything which is why always make sure a young dog has a bone or chew toy.

Have to wonder when the rats decided to go into the cars and start knawing. Was it a hiding spot at first then they noticed the wires or got a whiff of the soy? Were those cars being driven a lot or ocassionally.

As the OP's linked article relates, this is not a new issue and the same soy wiring is used by other manufacturers that claim it is not their problem to deal with as consumers have ways to deal with it. Of course, our USA $$$ seeking lawyers are regularly submitting class action law suits trying to squeeze money from them. After parking out in a remote natural area, I once had a pack rat build a nest under my hood atop the air cleaner.

Rodents particularly prefer engine electrical wiring newer vehicles before oil and grime cover plastic or if radiator coolant drips onto wires that has a sweet taste. Useful deterrent chemical product sprays use super-spicy capsaicin.

How to Protect Your Car From Rodents

How to Protect Your Car From Rodents - Consumer Reports

Back