Spanish Woman Sacked because of Brexit Rules

Mike

A woman who was brought to the UK as a 11month old baby,
44 years ago has been sacked from her job because she can't
prove that she has a right to work here, she is married to a Brit
and has children who were born here.

She has never held a Passport from any country, she tried to get
a lawyer to help, but was quoted £2,000 that she doesn't have.

I wonder what kind of people we as a nation have become.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...uk-for-44-years-sacked-over-post-brexit-rules

Mike.

A woman who was brought to the UK as a 11month old baby,
44 years ago has been sacked from her job because she can't
prove that she has a right to work here, she is married to a Brit
and has children who were born here.

She has never held a Passport from any country, she tried to get
a lawyer to help, but was quoted £2,000 that she doesn't have.

I wonder what kind of people we as a nation have become.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...uk-for-44-years-sacked-over-post-brexit-rules

Mike.
A lawyer asking for 2,000 pounds is a scammer! I believe he is a good example of a "White Collar Crime."

I believe that, that is the price, blame the Home Office, as
years ago anyone from overseas who wanted a Face-to-Face
meeting with somebody in the Home office, the fee was that
figure £2,000, that was over 15 years ago when I was still at
work and some immigrants worked with me, they told me
when I suggested that they go there instead of waiting for
the postman.

So they started the rot, with immigration lawyers jumping quickly
and high to get on the bandwagon.

It is a sad situation, in my eyes anyway.

Mike.

I question how she got into the UK. Even a baby needs some documentation to enter a nation. At 11 months, she didn't walk in, somebody brought her. What about her parents? They had to come from someplace. Does this woman have a birth certificate? I may have missed it, but there was nothing in the article to explain what nationality her parents were/are. Even if she entered the UK as an orphan, there would be some kind of paper trail. As an orphan, she should have some childhood recollection to unearth how she legally got into the UK. And there is always the possibility that she did not enter legally.

I question how she got into the UK. Even a baby needs some documentation to enter a nation. At 11 months, she didn't walk in, somebody brought her. What about her parents? They had to come from someplace. Does this woman have a birth certificate? I may have missed it, but there was nothing in the article to explain what nationality her parents were/are. Even if she entered the UK as an orphan, there would be some kind of paper trail. As an orphan, she should have some childhood recollection to unearth how she legally got into the UK. And there is always the possibility that she did not enter legally.
She is from Spain, at least that is what the headline said, there
was no mention of her parents and it says that her Mother-in-
law is helping them with food.

Mike.

Playing devil's advocate; there are certain forms immigrants need to fill out and file (sometimes for free) that will prevent this kind of problem. It's like if you don't bother to submit that release of liability form when you sell your car, it can bite you in the behind later.

That said, I'm 100% for making immigration and citizenship simpler, cheaper, and way quicker.

Last edited:
Playing devil's advocate; there are certain forms immigrants need to fill out and file (sometimes for free) that will prevent this kind of problem. It's like if you don't bother to submit that release of liability form when you sell your car, it can bite you in behind later.

That said, I'm 100% for making immigration and citizenship simpler, cheaper, and way quicker.
that's very true.. we have the same thing in Spain ....it doesn't always need to cost anything to have the correct paperwork.. it's just knowing you have to have it, ..

Spain is a bureaucratic nightmare.. the lady who is my daughters age.. is lucky that this isn't the case in the UK.. it will all be sorted for her before long...(y)

that's very true.. we have the same thing in Spain ....it doesn't always need to cost anything to have the correct paperwork.. it's just knowing you have to have it, ..

Spain is a bureaucratic nightmare.. the lady who is my daughters age.. is lucky that this isn't the case in the UK.. it will all be sorted for her before long...(y)
Same here, if you come through the "front door" you get free interpreters, free advice and counseling, and all the forms you need plus help to fill them out and file them. In California, there's only two INS offices that I know of, one in San Fransisco and one in Los Angeles. They really should have hundreds of INS substations or something like that, so their services would be more accessible. And those hundreds of substations should hire lots of immigrants as interpreters and counselors, and as instructors at the free citizenship classes. I don't even know if they still have those. It's where immigrants learn(ed) to use public transit, US appliances, how to navigate the Department of Motor Vehicles, and find jobs and rental homes and all that.

Playing devil's advocate; there are certain forms immigrants need to fill out and file (sometimes for free) that will prevent this kind of problem.
I think in this case Murrmur, the woman probably thinks/thought that
she was British having grown up here and went to school here, she won't
even think of herself being Spanish.

I don't know how she will get help, she didn't want to be named or the
company that she worked for.

Mike.

I think in this case Murrmur, the woman probably thinks/thought that
she was British having grown up here and went to school here
, she won't
even think of herself being Spanish.

Mike.
A lot of people who immigrate to the US make the same mistake. Mainly, they think marrying an American automatically solves any immigration issues. It doesn't, and again, when they enter legally, the INS office will tell them that.

Back