Spending too much time on my screens

I’ve been spending WAY too much time on screens in the last year. It was a problem before Covid, but now I’m finding myself browsing on my screen over reading books! I love reading books! Hopefully in a few weeks when the garden takes up more of my time it will cut into my screen time. Right now I’m around ten hours a day between my phone, my computer and a bit of television (one hour is television).

Do others here find the same thing? How many hours a day do you spend on screens? Has it impacted your life? Taken you away from things you previously used to enjoy? And has your screen time gone up drastically because of the pandemic?

I'm spending a little more time on the computer, partly just because I have more time during the pandemic (no commute, less time getting ready in the morning). It impacts me on the weekend if I don't pull myself away long enough to get chores done, but it was doing that before the pandemic too.
I guess I am spending less time reading due to a bit extra on the computer, and a lot less time watching educational lectures due to watching TV.
On the other hand, I've made some great forays into the mess in the house, I finished going through my mother's filing cabinet, and threw out lots of old paperwork (would you believe a file of stock trade confirmations from the 1980s, I guess they must have pre-dated computerized confirmations) and rather sadly several large manila envelopes full of negatives. I presume any important pictures were printed and are in her photo albums. I haven't made much progress on them, even when I don't recognize the people it is hard to throw them out, and it is all very melancholy, makes you realize how ephemeral everything is. When throwing out filing cabinet debris everything I went thru used to be part of my life and now is nearly forgotten history.

I read on a tablet, so that's part of my screen time. And I write on my computer, so more screen time. And I record my music on the computer, so more screen time. Add to that all the movies I watch, and I'm in front of a screen pretty much all day, every day! Even my car has a screen! You can't get away from it! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Meh, it could be worse. At least we're no longer getting all that radiation and eye strain we used to get from CRT monitors. Working on one of those all day was pure hell compared to LED screens.

I read on a tablet, so that's part of my screen time. And I write on my computer, so more screen time. And I record my music on the computer, so more screen time. Add to that all the movies I watch, and I'm in front of a screen pretty much all day, every day! Even my car has a screen! You can't get away from it! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Meh, it could be worse. At least we're no longer getting all that radiation and eye strain we used to get from CRT monitors. Working on one of those all day was pure hell compared to LED screens.
So agree. I spent years in front of those CRTs.

Waaaaaay too much time on the screen for me. The biggest problem is YouTube.

For example, I'm reading a book and a song gets mentioned. I HAVE to hear that song.....pull up YouTube and listen to several versions. What's this??? Oh, look look! "The Greatest Music Played at Royal Weddings".

So, I watch that video and see "How Queen Victoria's Wedding Changed History". Hmm, interesting.....up next is " Famous Women in History". Gotta watch that.

Somehow that segues into "Historical and Strange Events in the 18th Century" which leads to "Revolutionary War Battlefields of Virginia".

After three hours, it's 2 a.m. and I'm watching, for some reason, "Funniest Moments in Nascar", I'm hungry and my butt has fallen asleep.

Yes, I spend altogether too much time on the computer. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've fallen behind on my YouTube watching. Toodle-ooo.....

I’ve been spending WAY too much time on screens in the last year. It was a problem before Covid, but now I’m finding myself browsing on my screen over reading books! I love reading books! Hopefully in a few weeks when the garden takes up more of my time it will cut into my screen time. Right now I’m around ten hours a day between my phone, my computer and a bit of television (one hour is television).

Do others here find the same thing? How many hours a day do you spend on screens? Has it impacted your life? Taken you away from things you previously used to enjoy? And has your screen time gone up drastically because of the pandemic?
Do others here find the same thing? Yes
How many hours a day do you spend on screens? Hours spent for me range from an hour or two, to more, especially during the winter months.
Has it impacted your life? No
Taken you away from things you previously used to enjoy? No
And has your screen time gone up drastically because of the pandemic? No

I try and not be too overly hard on myself related to the things I enjoy. Balance is everything.

Back