Spring - Let It Inspire You!

I can't wait to plant some (lots of) annuals outside but the weather has been variable. We haven't yet gotten past freezing temps so it's just a matter of waiting until things warm up and stay that way.

There's also a vegetable garden to be planted, have some general (annual) post-winter inspections done and take long walks with my fur baby.

SJRG1y.jpg
Our nationally acclaimed San Jose Municipal Rose Garden is nearing peak spring bloom. About a 3.5 mile drive, I visit any early mornings when weather forecast breezes are uncommonly 2 mph or less as I need still air to focus stack blend photograph blooms as any movement cause mis-registration requiring tedious post processing work. Will post some flowers later this next 2 weeks.

Spring is my favorite season - if only it would come and STAY in Ohio this year! I'm busy being behind in all the outdoor chores. /-;
A massive snow storm and a plow-guy who didn't know my driveway layout left gravel in my grass and on my raised bed. The trees lost many branches. Leaves continued to fall late in the season and never got removed. Heavy rains left a swamp in the back. The weeds are absolutely thriving! And, I really just want a nap! But still, I love to see the buds, the sprouts, the busy birds!

In the Hill Country of Texas ... Springtime looks like this ... Bluebonnets in every direction

iu

Below is small downsized 1200 pixel wide version of a rose subject I worked per above post at the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden, Saturday morning during a brief period of near calm conditions. A favorite style of flower close-up subject I look for are blooms I can isolate up against blue sky backgrounds. Such groups stick up above the height of nearby rose bushes so out in the open air are easily moved by even slightest breezes. This multi-hued rose variety is called "Rainbow Sorbet". Created from 31 individual focus stack shots, I blended in an app Zerene Stacker and then Photoshop CS6 processed (about 4 hours worth) that is tack sharp edge to edge using my sharpest lens apertures focused at many different subject distance points. Sony A6000 SEL85F18 lens, 6000 by 4000 pixels.

(mouse select to enlarge)
TJ09242-72y.jpg

The below 600 by 4000 pixel vertical slice crop is an example of how sharp the full image is. The 4 sections fit vertically.
TJ09242-72-cr1.jpg

Last edited:
Below is small downsized 1200 pixel wide version of a rose subject I worked per above post at the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden, Saturday morning during a brief period of near calm conditions. A favorite style of flower close-up subject I look for are blooms I can isolate up against blue sky backgrounds. Such groups stick up above the height of nearby rose bushes so out in the open air are easily moved by even slightest breezes. This multi-hued rose variety is called "Rainbow Sorbet". Created from 31 individual focus stack shots, I blended in an app Zerene Stacker and then Photoshop CS6 processed (about 4 hours worth) that is tack sharp edge to edge using my sharpest lens apertures focused at many different subject distance points. Sony A6000 SEL85F18 lens, 6000 by 4000 pixels.

TJ09242-72y.jpg

The below 600 by 4000 pixel vertical slice crop is an example of how sharp the full image is. The 4 sections fit vertically.
TJ09242-72-cr1.jpg
As a "classic" photographer who periodically did it as a self-supporting hobby, I have to admit that digital post-work is amazing. But YOU worked hard and well from the start! If the original images aren't pretty decent, no amount of post work can turn them into something great (unless you are going to settle for special effects). Kudos, David. These are fabulous! (PS - isn't there a photographer's forum on this site? If not, you might want to suggest it.)

TK09429-66y.jpg

Above another blazingly bright colorful rose flower subject I worked early this morning at our community center grounds that was an old high school so has ornamental plants from decades ago. Tediously manually focus stack blended in the Zerene Stacker app from 38 individual shots 5100 by 3600 pixels. The above downsized web version is just 1200 pixels wide. The crop below is at 100% pixels showing how sharp the full image is that when I exhibit using large 8k display panels will indeed show that detail. I use a sharp prime with excellent flat field edge to edge frame resolution, APS-C lens, Sigma - 56mm f/1.4 DC DN,at sharpest F5.6 apertures complemented with smaller apertures.

TK09429-66-cr1.jpg

Since today Wednesday was the calmest morning this week, I up at dawn and soon out the door, very busy looking at thousands of roses, looking for most aesthetic frames . Later on this morning also worked the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden again so ought be busy all day tomorrow processing other images, some of which are also strong.

Last edited:

Back