St. Patrick's Day

I want to find a few ST Patrick’s day cards to send to friends who enjoy that sort of thing. I am going to have to find a Hallmark Store or something with a wider selection. Just a few token things in the grocery & drug stores here, no cards, just a few measly decorations and tired looking green iced cup cakes. I think it is because not enough Irish migrated here, or did it during periods when the Irish immigrants were hated. I only 1/4 but proud of it!

Does the USA have a Patron saint, or do individual states have their own?
Many years ago when I was studying in N. Ireland, nobody cared much about St.Patrick's day. It was just another holiday. We used to regard it more as an American festival, but could never understand what all the fuss was about. As an atheist I don't believe in saints (although they may have been real people) as having anything other than ceremonial significance. Still, any excuse for a party;)

from- https://www.history.com/topics/st-patricks-day/history-of-st-patricks-day

St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated annually on March 17, the anniversary of his death in the fifth century. The Irish have observed this day as a religious holiday for over 1,000 years.

On St. Patrick’s Day, which falls during the Christian season of Lent, Irish families would traditionally attend church in the morning and celebrate in the afternoon.

Lenten prohibitions against the consumption of meat were waived and people would dance, drink and feast–on the traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage.

Saint Patrick, who lived during the fifth century, is the patron saint of Ireland and its national apostle. Born in Roman Britain, he was kidnapped and brought to Ireland as a slave at the age of 16. He later escaped, but returned to Ireland and was credited with bringing Christianity to its people.

The first St. Patrick’s Day parade took place not in Ireland but in America. Records show that a St. Patrick’s Day parade was held on March 17, 1601 in a Spanish colony in what is now St. Augustine, Florida

More than 100 St. Patrick's Day parades are held across the United States; New York City and Boston are home to the largest celebrations.

Does the USA have a Patron saint, or do individual states have their own?
Many years ago when I was studying in N. Ireland, nobody cared much about St.Patrick's day. It was just another holiday. We used to regard it more as an American festival, but could never understand what all the fuss was about. As an atheist I don't believe in saints (although they may have been real people) as having anything other than ceremonial significance. Still, any excuse for a party;)
All of Ireland recognizes St. Patrick as their patron. It is also a Holy Day of Obligation in the Republic of Ireland.

Love the Irish, although not a holiday in Australia, pubs overflow with celebrations, Irish dancing etc, St Pats day, 17th March is the time to plant Sweet Peas, (some new releases are gorgeous). Irish superstition spans generations in my family - never put new shoes on a table still applies in this house. :)

Yesterday was green beer Sunday in one of our old Irish neighborhoods but due to Covid there was a much smaller crowd and the tanker truck was not present.

Here are a couple of photos from happier times.

https://www.colemansirishpub.com/gallery

Green-Beer-Sunday-97f1492c5056a34_97f149d3-5056-a348-3afd691dfbd0369b.jpg
1732ee35-0943-43b9-bdd1-5d9c33ed9493-large16x9_c13f9ac2090b46cfb46491f3f63d6504large16x9_COLEMANSGREENBEER.jpg

Back