Stay put or move to senior apartments?

I am rather young for this discussion, I believe, at 75. This past March I became alone, and have all my time to myself. I've been walking long distances and strengthening myself so I feel I can be alone for sometime. But, the physical part of being alone is the major concern I think. So as long as I can handle most everything I will stay in my house.

Everyone's situation is different, though. I think whether you live in your own home or live in some sort of senior living facility depends on many factors. Too many to list here. I wish you all the best.

So despite your very valid concerns would you take an apartment if offered?
I am living in a one bedroom apartment now which is 700+ square feet with my dog. I am thinking on keeping this apartment and being put on list, where I am #8, wait a few years and pay month to month where I am and that would give me more time. The one I qualify for is only 506 sq. ft. and beautiful but tiny. So, I am thinking about it and am not in a hurry plus enjoying a few more square feet in the mean time.

Locally independent living apartments are 3400/month for 500 sq ft. This includes meals and housekeeping. A friend of mine went into one because he knew he was going to need assisted living soon and then he could just do it at the same place. Luckily he was a good saver because that cost him 8k a month but kept him out of a nursing home.

Locally independent living apartments are 3400/month for 500 sq ft. This includes meals and housekeeping. A friend of mine went into one because he knew he was going to need assisted living soon and then he could just do it at the same place. Luckily he was a good saver because that cost him 8k a month but kept him out of a nursing home.
We have 3-4 different levels of pricing and what they offer in the Panhandle of Texas. I have chosen the one that offers security, nurse on hand, activities, wonderful amenities and much more for a low price of $1100 and up depending on your status. Some provide housekeeping, food/no food, and much more. I am in no hurry, so waiting in line of 8 others gives me waiting time to think about it .

We have 3-4 different levels of pricing and what they offer in the Panhandle of Texas. I have chosen the one that offers security, nurse on hand, activities, wonderful amenities and much more for a low price of $1100 and up depending on your status. Some provide housekeeping, food/no food, and much more. I am in no hurry, so waiting in line of 8 others gives me waiting time to think about it .
That’s really cheap fanci.

It's nice that they're income based. Around here, the Assisted Living places cost what they cost and like the old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
Oh, wow! I live in the TX panhandle and for a long time, every one of them I checked into just was unaffordable. Then someone was telling about the one she had signed up for and it sounded affordable, and it is. I wish they all catered more to the seniors than they do.

Where I live you can get a studio apartment for about about $750 to $900
One bedroom from $925 to $1200
2 bedroom from $1200 to $1500

You can rent a semi detached house for $1200 and full house for $1500 with yard

The reason it’s so cheap here is because there’s no employment.

Last edited:
Here it looks like everything at any price has long waiting lists. I can't figure out how quickly units turn over, but it doesn't look like very quickly. Makes sense though I guess, you're probably waiting for somebody to leave "the hard way."

Fanci, it’s the reason I bought a condo as soon as I divorced and sold the house because regular rentals are unaffordable. The independent living and assisted living ones charge more than my monthly income. Because we have grown so much our prices are similar to California.

Where I live you can get a studio apartment for about about $750 to $900
One bedroom from $925 to $1200
2 bedroom from $1200 to $1500

You can rent a semi detached house for $1200 and full house for $1500 with yard

The reason it’s so cheap here is because there’s no employment.
Oh, well that explains it. Thank you

Hey Daisy. How did

This is a great place to retire but most young folks went out west, Alberta to get better work but most went to Ontario.
Its called ‘Canada’s ocean playground’
Appropriately named.
I live in Texas and have found flexible prices and great benefits with the lower prices. However, there are always waiting lists that can last from 6 months to years. Where I am in a one bedroom apartment, I am paying on a month to month basis, which is a little higher, in order to get out of a lease and move into independent living.

I live in Texas and have found flexible prices and great benefits with the lower prices. However, there are always waiting lists that can last from 6 months to years. Where I am in a one bedroom apartment, I am paying on a month to month basis, which is a little higher, in order to get out of a lease and move into independent living.
The prices I gave are for average apartment living. If you want fancy and elegant then you can pay up to $3,000 a month. There are so gorgeous apartments or condominiums if you want to buy. When the time comes I wouldn’t mind living in a nice apartments overlooking the ocean. One with 2 bathrooms and a balcony. A build in swimming pool and gym.
A swimming pool was a BIG with apartment living. A pool that’s not busy and not too chlorinated is heavenly. I miss swimming.

The prices I gave are for average apartment living. If you want fancy and elegant then you can pay up to $3,000 a month. There are so gorgeous apartments or condominiums if you want to buy. When the time comes I wouldn’t mind living in a nice apartments overlooking the ocean. One with 2 bathrooms and a balcony. A build in swimming pool and gym.
A swimming pool was a BIG with apartment living. A pool that’s not busy and not too chlorinated is heavenly. I miss swimming.
Yes, those are available here to, but I can't consider those. My income determines that. Nice to have those options though.

I've been thinking a lot about what I should do with the house now that my husband isn't here any more. I know they say you shouldn't do anything for a year after someone dies but I think you need to think about options, especially if finances, like mine, have been reduced by more than 50%.

I had been curious about a retirement community in my town that have patio homes for rent. I had contacted the manager and wanted to see a unit before I submitted an application. I was told there's a long waiting list and it takes months or more before something comes available so if I was interested I would have to get my application on file.

She called me the other day and said there was a vacant unit available for me to look at so I went over. Can I just say I was shocked?! It was a 2 bedroom/2bath with an attached 2 car garage and a small patio big enough for 2 chairs that looks at the back of another unit. The carpet in the postage stamp living room was old, the kitchen was so tiny that there were 5 cupboards that the doors looked like painted plywood and old appliances. The bedrooms were small, too and the bathrooms were closet sized with the same cheap doors on the vanity. The posts on the patio were rotting at the bottom and the whole place needed painted. It was depressing.

This unit rents for $1312 + utilities and it's only 976 square feet. I asked her how much utilities run and she gave me the same figures I'm paying at my house. My house payment is $1143 and I have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths, 2 car garage, and a full basement and a family room besides the living room and new kitchen and appliances that are a year old. My house has all new windows and a new master bathroom. Why would I move??

I was glad to see this unit because I know now that it's not for me.

I know a lady who sold her home after her husband died and moved into an over 55 apartment thinking it would be an ‘easier’ lifestyle. Now she wants her home back but prices have gone up so much she can’t afford to buy her old house or even a smaller two bedroom condo. You’re smart to be cautious.

I've been thinking a lot about what I should do with the house now that my husband isn't here any more. I know they say you shouldn't do anything for a year after someone dies but I think you need to think about options, especially if finances, like mine, have been reduced by more than 50%.

I had been curious about a retirement community in my town that have patio homes for rent. I had contacted the manager and wanted to see a unit before I submitted an application. I was told there's a long waiting list and it takes months or more before something comes available so if I was interested I would have to get my application on file.

She called me the other day and said there was a vacant unit available for me to look at so I went over. Can I just say I was shocked?! It was a 2 bedroom/2bath with an attached 2 car garage and a small patio big enough for 2 chairs that looks at the back of another unit. The carpet in the postage stamp living room was old, the kitchen was so tiny that there were 5 cupboards that the doors looked like painted plywood and old appliances. The bedrooms were small, too and the bathrooms were closet sized with the same cheap doors on the vanity. The posts on the patio were rotting at the bottom and the whole place needed painted. It was depressing.

This unit rents for $1312 + utilities and it's only 976 square feet. I asked her how much utilities run and she gave me the same figures I'm paying at my house. My house payment is $1143 and I have 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths, 2 car garage, and a full basement and a family room besides the living room and new kitchen and appliances that are a year old. My house has all new windows and a new master bathroom. Why would I move??

I was glad to see this unit because I know now that it's not for me.
I have put my name on three different ones, independent living. One is very old and they won't let me past the office. I got to take a tour in another one and a tour of the apartment itself. Alot newer but very tiny!!! 506 sq. ft!!! I have a medium sized dog so she won't be able to go with me to any of them. :( Anyway, they are anywhere from regular rent to $1100 a month. So, you have to give up a lot of freedom! I have been on one waiting list for a year, the other one for close to a year and the other one for a couple of months.

Colleen, could you sell the house and pay cash for a condo? If so that might work although you need to take the hoa fee into consideration.

Fanci, I wouldn’t move anywhere that I couldn’t have a dog. I would be lost without mine. I realize that finances are an issue and you may not have a choice.

Colleen, could you sell the house and pay cash for a condo? If so that might work although you need to take the hoa fee into consideration.

Fanci, I wouldn’t move anywhere that I couldn’t have a dog. I would be lost without mine. I realize that finances are an issue and you may not have a choice.
Both good points.

Back