Still using Windows 7??

Microsoft stopped mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 12, 2015.
But the company will keep providing extended support until January 14, 2020.

I'm revisiting this thread because my business and personal workhorse (desktop) Windows 7 computer started getting very glitchy with updates. After a reboot it took me over 2 hours to get it to boot up again. Even worse, one of my children had just gotten married and I'd not done a backup for at least two months. After at least a dozen reboots and attempts at various fixes I was eventually able to roll back the update and get it running again, but it was a very nerve wracking morning.

Talk about being scared straight. That day was dedicated to a fresh backup of all my files plus a deep dive investigation into a new desktop to replace my eight year old HP.

I decided on an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00 from Costco. 16.0 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive. (Bought a gaming computer even though I'm not a gamer because computers designed for gaming are often built to higher specifications than those that aren't.) It was $649 and came with a 2 year warranty.) Went with HP because it's the desktop brand I prefer. Will slowly ditch the bloatware.

So... Windows 10.
The good news: In my opinion, it's a hybrid of Windows 7 (which I loved) and 8 (which the entire computing world apparently hated). I'm adjusting to the operating system and will find my way.

The bad news: As I feared, some of my software is incompatible so I'm going to be forced into purchasing new versions or upgrades (where possible). Can't migrate my Office 2007 as it's no longer supported by Microsoft, meaning I can't deactivate it on one computer and load it onto the next.

The software incompatibility is both annoying and expensive.

Last edited:
Windows 8 was universally despised, but 8.1 was a fix which allowed you to use the features of 8, or those of 8.1 which are reminiscent of previous Windows versions. I use that part of it.

End of support doesn't mean you can't continue to use it. I haven't installed those monthly "patches" in a long time. It takes forever to download and install and then HD to calm down afterwards. I have a 7 year old desktop and won't modernize until it quits.

I loved windows 7 and didn't want to have windows 10 so now have the free operating system Ubuntu zorin 15 much better than windows and more secure and so easy to use.

LOved Windows Seven, and wish so much I had stayed with it, but curiosity got the best of me, and then my computer died, and bought new, and had windows eight... which let to 10... But wish so much I had stayed with seven... But...@nan the one you are talking about...

I loved Windows 7 and didn't want to have windows 10 so now have the free operating system Ubuntu Zorin 15 much better than windows and more secure and so easy to use.

Looked at it, and it looks pretty easy to... Might have a look at it closer, thanks for the idea...

Got fed up with Windows and all the upgrade issues 2 years ago and bought a Chromebook. It suits my needs, simple and easy! But I understand that some folks may need more capacity, like if using for a home business.
ditto....No more updates and Firefox issues..The ony things I miss are MS Paint and image editing..

Today is my last day using my 8 yr old Windows 7 HP Computer. I never converted to Windows 10 2 yrs ago because I had read reviews how 'awful' and time consuming 10 was to update. Its time for a change,wanted to downsize
I bought a HP Chromebook at Best Buy couple days ago,tomorrow sometime between 8am-noon,a Geek Squad tech will be helping me. Sue

Today is my last day using my 8 yr old Windows 7 HP Computer. I never converted to Windows 10 2 yrs ago because I had read reviews how 'awful' and time consuming 10 was to update. Its time for a change,wanted to downsize
I bought a HP Chromebook at Best Buy couple days ago,tomorrow sometime between 8am-noon,a Geek Squad tech will be helping me. Sue

I made the switch from my win 10 desktop to a Chromebook about eight months ago and I'm very happy with it. I still use my desktop occasionally for off line studio work but that's about it. There's a bunch of videos about Chromebook on YouTube that helped me out a lot making the change over. Good luck and have fun! :)

Last edited:
MQ, As posted above, in late June I moved to a Windows 10 desktop (still have a 7 laptop). Some years ago I bought a tablet that came with Windows 8, and that truly terrible OS scared me off of replacing my other W-7 computers or upgrading their OS.

W-10 has a definite learning curve, so you're wise to get some assistance navigating it. All in all, it's not nearly as big a leap from 7 to 10 as it was from 7 to 8. (I only use the 8 tablet for reading electronic books because I so despise the OS.)

Wishing you the best with your new computer! Please let us know your impressions.

MQ, As posted above, in late June I moved to a Windows 10 desktop (still have a 7 laptop). Some years ago I bought a tablet that came with Windows 8, and that truly terrible OS scared me off of replacing my other W-7 computers or upgrading their OS.

W-10 has a definite learning curve, so you're wise to get some assistance navigating it. All in all, it's not nearly as big a leap from 7 to 10 as it was from 7 to 8. (I only use the 8 tablet for reading electronic books because I so despise the OS.)

Wishing you the best with your new computer! Please let us know your impressions.
Hi Starsong,I'm done with Windows, I bought a HP Chromebook instead Sue

I'm back with my new Chrome book,its an adjustment,so far so good
The tech guy,Patrick was very helpful,he took away my monitor,cable cords,pulled out my harddrive,so I don't have anything left from my computer Sue

Windows 10 doesn't seem so different to me since Windows 7, especially when I had to deal with Window 8 for a while. I think they created Windows 8 so that we would be so grateful to get Windows 10 after that, that we wouldn't complain so much. I don't understand why they had to take away some really good features from the earlier Windows OS's. I just can't understand that. I don't know. Why? Do software geniuses just like getting a kick out of making people miserable?

Last edited:
You did say that, didn't you? Oops! I've never used a Chromebook and nobody close to me has one. I'll be very interested to hear your impressions - good and bad.
HI Starsong,I'm very happy with my Chromebook its taken me a couple of days to adjust to a smaller screen.My old computer was 20 inch,this is 14 Sue

I have Windows 7 and opted out of receiving those monthly patch updates last September. They would tie up my system for hours downloading, installing, then restarting and waiting for the system to sort it all out. I also heard that some updates aren't that good for the system.

I bought a 15 inch Chromebook for $168 on Amazon (refurbished) NO MORE WINDOWS!!!!
00.png
Chromebook. I heard of it. What I would like to know is if you can use programs like Income Tax preparation. That's the only way I would consider it.

Back