Stupid Dumbphone

Well I do know what my issue is with the Smartphones. I'm simply an analog person in a digital world. Hub is the same way - just the other day I said "hey, its your phone so how do you scan something with your phone" he said "I don't know". But he does know how to use the audio instead of the keys to text...son taught him that.

My iPhone was part of the deal with being on my daughter's family phone plan ...... they gave me the phone, and I got to figure it out!
When you are left in that predicament, you somehow learn ;)
I would be lost without it now.
That is more or less the way I came to have a smart phone. At the time I was in business with my brother, he got our phones upgraded along with some deal on usage.
The first screen that I see when I switch on is 16 icons, the phone and text icons I quickly worked out, eleven years later the other 14 remain a mystery. It doesn't bother me though, the world might have left me behind, but at least you never see me staring at the screen of my phone.

I don't understand why you need an Amazon app to be able to pick up your package. :unsure: I order from Amazon all the time. When I have my stuff delivered to the post office, Amazon sends me an email to let me know it's been delivered. When I have them delivered to the Amazon locker, I get an email with the code so I can get into the locker. I place and track my orders on Amazon's website, not an app.

Smart phones do, sometimes act like dumb phones. In particular, the speech to text never fails to get on my nerves. But for the most part, I couldn't do without mine now. Don't let it kill you PJ. :LOL:

So, far so good; no cancer, no Alzheimer's, no dementia, no heart attacks, no strokes & for sure no Covid19 or all those exciting variants. Finally, there is something that will probably kill me faster than all those diseases that seem to get all those folks wearing those cloth masks. That terrible thing is the stupidphone.
The problem seems to be that in order to compete, manufacturers release new and "improved" models on a regular basis. So what defines improved? More "features". Pretty soon you've got a phone that does things you never wanted or had a need for, and in another 6 months it gets "further refined", adding yet another layer of complexity. Exactly what I see in my wife's iPhone 13. Frustrating.

My friend and her husband swore they didn’t need a cell phone. They kept a pay as you go type uncharged at home for emergencies. (Don’t ask me the logic of this.) She ended up in an isolation area in the ER without a phone for a couple of days. She couldn’t reach him until the second day when she borrowed a phone from a nurse. They now both have cell phones.

Update on Stupidphone:
1. Since my Apple ID and password do not match; I tried to find out my password.
2. To do this , the stupidphone insists on sending a verification code to a flip phone I no longer have.
3. To put in a new phone number, it wants to first verify who I am by sending a verification code to my old phone that I no longer have.

It's enough to make a priest swear. I would like to smash the stupid thing.

Moral lesson: don't give up your flip phone or you might be very sorry. I know I am.
@Packerjohn have you read this article?

Also within the article are a variety of links you should also check out in case they’re things you haven’t tried.
Apple ID

Last edited:
GoodRX doesn't even work on my so-called smart phone. I have to get on my home computer to compare prescription prices. It's an Android though, so a lot of things don't work. Sucky, sucky phone. 😖

I always use my reliable desktop computer with Linux Mint, don't use wifi, and have never used a stupid cell phone to make calls.

For an experiment, I did get a used cell phone from Ebay for $27 a couple of years ago, just to take photos and try out on my indoor bike, but it turned out to be way too much hassle to use, even doing very simple things. It was finicky to connect, the same steps had to be done over and over, and often it stopped working after being connected. The battery kept running down and needed constant recharging. Apparently the batteries only last 2 years, even with the constant charging, and they can be quite difficult to replace. After trying the cell phone a few times, I put it away and haven't bothered with it since.

Conversely I got a used Thinkpad laptop computer from Ebay around the same time for $100, added Linux Mint and it still works great. I use it sometimes for a trip or when needed for some other purpose, but primarily use my desktop computer. All usual day by day things are done on my desktop computer, including free long distance calls that connect with my land line.

I own an Iphone, there have been many times that it was confusing and a challenge, I have a hard time remembering instructions on 'how to' fix problems so I have to make notes and bookmark 'fixes' but the pros on this smartphone far far outweigh the cons....cons being my old tired brain..lol

I

Conversely I got a used Thinkpad laptop computer from Ebay around the same time for $100, added Linux Mint and it still works great. I use it sometimes for a trip or when needed for some other purpose, but primarily use my desktop computer. All usual day by day things are done on my desktop computer, including free long distance calls that connect with my land line.
John...how do you get free long distance calls from your computer. I used to have Google voice which is now defunct and haven't been able to find another...

John...how do you get free long distance calls from your computer. I used to have Google voice which is now defunct and haven't been able to find another...

Google Voice changed their format but still works fine for me and also provides text messages.
You might get it working again by adjusting the settings.

I'm using Firefox on a Linux Mint desktop. I don't use a cell phone and don't use apps.
However, it "should" work with any browser and operating system.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply..
....seems it does not work with Vivaldi browser which I use and at one time was not available for Mac.
It is now with an app........gawd I hate that word!
Everything now needs the almighty App

I will get Chrome going later and see what happens

No disrespect intended, but if you are having trouble with basic functions on your phone, you should share that information with your doctor. He (or she) may want to evaluate you for your risk of dementia.

I say this because I have a dear friend who in the past year has started to have issues with the smart phone and apple watch and ipad. Testing (MRI of the brain and a SLUMS test) indicates that the friend is in fact now in the early stages of dementia. My friend denies it but it is apparent to me and others.

I sincerely hope I am wrong.
Sorry but my brain is in excellent form. Actually, I fear that my brain will outlive my body which is a shame!

To me, "smart" phones are an even bigger nuisance than flip phones. Their touch screens require keen eyesight and tiny fingers
Yup

That's me

I have the latest of iPhones
My lady can use it rather proficiently
Me? I just answer calls..make calls
If I get a text I poke in 'call me'...and that's a struggle

Any other extras/emails can wait 'til I can get to my laptop

I do like siri when looking for a new store or new place to go

This thread brings a few of my posters to mind;

39.jpg

1950s-texting-just-talking-huh-demotivational-posters-1348921019.jpg

peculiar-obviously-nuts.jpg

in my day.jpg

{sigh} Again, I am just expressing a heartfelt concern about the OP. If you don't want a smart phone, for God's sake please don't get one. Or is that too complicated for you, too?

My work here is done.
My point is made. You've been using smart phones so long you think you need to repeat everything three times. Do you really want to say that? Choose cancel or no.
My friend and her husband swore they didn’t need a cell phone. They kept a pay as you go type uncharged at home for emergencies. (Don’t ask me the logic of this.) She ended up in an isolation area in the ER without a phone for a couple of days. She couldn’t reach him until the second day when she borrowed a phone from a nurse. They now both have cell phones.
My husband and I still don't have one and I didn't have one when I was in isolation in the hospital with covid. I just asked the nurse for a phone as soon as I was settled in my bed. They had plenty of spare, sterile phones in plastic wrappers. Her problem wasn't not having a cellphone, it was being too timid to ask for what she needed.

My husband and I still don't have one and I didn't have one when I was in isolation in the hospital with covid. I just asked the nurse for a phone as soon as I was settled in my bed. They had plenty of spare, sterile phones in plastic wrappers. Her problem wasn't not having a cellphone, it was being too timid to ask for what she needed.
They don’t even have spare charging cords here. Landline rentals don’t exist anymore. She can’t ask for what isn’t available. She isn’t timid.

Back