Stupid updates!

Just curious - how to 1) restore to earlier version and 2) shut updates off?
I think when I went into to get the updates in settings there was an option to restore the last version. I don't know about turning the updates off in Win 10. I got a link but that's it.
https://www.techbout.com/turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-34716/
And this is for recovery of the last updated version that worked.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-recover-restore-your-previous-version-of/94368560-9c64-4387-92b9-82a9234216ad#:~:text=1) Click on Start > Settings >. 2),started’ to start the Recovery / Rollback process.

I haven't fiddled with shutting off the updates yet so I don't know if it works or not.

Yesterday they told me to download the driver & install it. That didn't work.
They told me to uninstall the old one & delete it's software. And then install the new driver. That didn't work.
I finally got ticked & told them they were of no help whatsoever.

Windows 10 doesn't look like that. I think 10 has to be the least user friendly I've seen so far.
I looked it up. It is quite different. You have to go into the security section in Windows 10. Microsoft doesn't like anyone turning off updates. You may be able to do it on a temporary basis.
For me it requires an AAAARRRGGHH. đź‘ş

I looked it up. It is quite different. You have to go into the security section in Windows 10. Microsoft doesn't like anyone turning off updates. You may be able to do it on a temporary basis.
For me it requires an AAAARRRGGHH. đź‘ş
Yeah Microsoft is a PITA. They told me to uninstall those drivers but they didn't go away. LOL

Windows 10 doesn't look like that. I think 10 has to be the least user friendly I've seen so far.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've been using computers for aeons, both at work before I retired and now personally. IMHO Windows 10 is the worst version of Windows I've ever used and I've had more trouble with it than any other. I've never understood why so many people think it is so great.

I believe that there is a way to put Android Software
on to a PC, but I never looked at it seriously as it is
more Google.

Mike.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've been using computers for aeons, both at work before I retired and now personally. IMHO Windows 10 is the worst version of Windows I've ever used and I've had more trouble with it than any other. I've never understood why so many people think it is so great.
Same here. Every time I need to do something I have to YouTube it to find out how.

I got the updates turned off. If I ever need to update something I'll have to do it manually.

He can do Turbo Tax on google chrome.
Yes you can use their server but it's not the same as having the tax program on your computer. I did my taxes on my cell phone this year
Small screen awkward.
If I wanted that and any of the windows features, I would have bought a lap top with windows..
Yes Ken. But for the unwashed and uneducated they don't know that and that's why I'm asking before I buy a Chromebook. Now I don't think Chromebook is what I am looking for. I'm know just going to look for a refurbished Windows computer because my prime reason is being able to do taxes on my computer. All the other stuff like surfing the web and online buying I am already doing.
To add. The reason I can't do taxes on my desktop and Ipad is because the browsers are not secure when I try to access the tax programs. I'm supposed to upgrade my computers but that's an expensive proposition. They actually have to be replaced because I'm at the top level with them and can't upgrade them. This is Microsoft and Apples way of forcing you to buy a new computer. I'm a rebel and hanging on. I hate spending money and having to learn how to use a new operating system when the one I have is just fine for my purposes.
When I'm stuck I just use my cell phone which has the latest in computer technology.

Last edited:
What do you use? See I don't know how to go about getting a new set up. I'm afraid if I do I'll screw the whole lap top up. LOL
Stick with Windows 10 and learn it and you will have it mastered just before Windows 11 is on the market. Unless you are completely computer savvy trying to use Linux or some other operating system would be an exercise in frustration. There's always someone around to help you with Windows because that's what most people use. Buena suerte.🍀

Camper is right! Stay away. Why would you want to learn a new OS. The hardest thing about a Linux update is disabling the 'Secure Boot' in setup. Now even Linux Mint (voted as the best for beginners) has made that easy with one click. The other top distros on distrowatch.com are just as easy. And, why not pay someone such as MS or Apple tons of money to do those things? Unless you are using your unit for business (graphic design,,,etc) you can do 100% of your needs either with the apps or online. Even if you mess up the install you can just start over. The cost is zero $0. Easy updates whenever you want, secure, plenty of online support. You don't know who is watching, tracking or recording your activity anyway.

I'm happy I have Windows 7 - no more updates. It used to take hours to download and install the monthly "patches". Then it would give my system indegestion for a few days (HD light on all teh time as it tried to sort out the new info). I don't know what I'll do when this old desktop gives up the CPU. I hate thinking about learing a whole new OS and the constant updates.

Back