Sun burn

Not wanting to side track Aneeda's post,, started this one.

I come from family of red heads & have fair skin,with freckles.

Eighty years ago sunblock was unheard of,,, I roamed free on the farm with out any head coverings.
Even as a teenager being sun burnt multiple times,,, still no sun block.

Ditto as an adult,, did learn to avoid direct sunshine.
Never liked the 'cooked feeling' sun bathing gave me.
Or the greasy feeling sunblock had.

In my mid 70s asked my doctor what she thought of the tiny white pimples on my cheek were.
That's when I went to a dermatologist.

Have had spots 'burnt off'.
Used the medicated creams he prescribed for my right cheek.

Was to see him this winter, but hubby was having health issues.
Time for me to get back in routine of seeing the dermatologist.

If you are in the sun Without sunblock, any length of time, you will notice your skin has turned a different color.

It may not hurt but it is sun burn.

Those old fashioned sun bonnets weren't only a fashion statement but sun protection. :eek:

I was at a beach in Thailand. It was very hot that day but the water felt great and I didn't feel that the temperature was that bad.
The skin at the back of my neck was red and sensitive for a few days after.
Yes, I should have used sunblock but hindsight is 20/20.

I remember thinking my grandfather was some kind of dumb to be working his garden in the summer sunshine and heat with a long sleeve shirt and wide brimmed hat on.

Looking back now after multiple skin cancers, it wasn't he that was the dumb one.
But I wonder if dangerous sunrays were filtered better back then, like maybe because earth's atmosphere was thicker, or its atoms were more balanced or something.

My family lived with on a dairy ranch with my grandparents from when I was 5 until I was 15, and gramps (and I) did wear a hat and overalls, but his arms and my arms and the ranch-hands' arms were usually exposed, but gramps never had any skin issues, and neither have I. He worked outside all day, and me and my brothers worked outside after school until dinner time.

Or maybe it's because we ate more natural foods. So did the animals we ate, too, come to think of it.

But I wonder if dangerous sunrays were filtered better back then, like maybe because earth's atmosphere was thicker, or its atoms were more balanced or something.

My family lived with on a dairy ranch with my grandparents from when I was 5 until I was 15, and gramps (and I) did wear a hat and overalls, but his arms and my arms and the ranch-hands' arms were usually exposed, but gramps never had any skin issues, and neither have I. He worked outside all day, and me and my brothers worked outside after school until dinner time.

Or maybe it's because we ate more natural foods. So did the animals we ate, too, come to think of it.

Could be a little of all those things you mentioned as to why some people are more prone to sun damage and I think genetics play a part as well. Above my pay scale.

Could be a little of all those things you mentioned as to why some people are more prone to sun damage and I think genetics play a part as well. Above my pay scale.
Good point. My grandfather's father was Irish but his mother was Portuguese. So gramps had reddish hair and a red beard, but his skin was more sort of yellowish than white. He was my paternal grandfather. My mother's side of the family is Italian except for my great-grandmother, who was Black. So my skin was probably protected by my Italian, Black, and Portuguese genes.

Back