Supermarket Brawl Over Too Many Items In Express Lane

Hahaha...people are nuts.. why couldn't one of them just got in the self service queue. I think some people are just looking to fight anyone at all

While I want to agree with you, and do to a point. Do we just ignore those that constantly game the system ? Do we not need rules , to maintain a peaceful society?

As this demonstrates , people [as a whole] are not always going to be considerate on their own.

I mean the "express" line is intended for smaller orders, to assist those that are "in a hurry" and need just a few things. Shouldn't that rule/order be maintained?

I starting to see this a lot, split orders. I also see someone stand in line while another goes around the shopping adding to the cart.

But absolutely the rule and intent should be adhered to. Now they'll have to put up signs say one order per person in the express lane. Uh oh that ink & paper will add to the cost the customers must pay.

The problem as I see it here the name "Express Lane",
with no further guidance!

I had an argument many years ago with a cashier in a
supermarket, she saw me unload a hand basket on to
the belt and told me that I had "too many items as this
lane is for 10 items only", I argued that the sign above
said "Baskets Only", she wouldn't believe me and refused
to serve me, I asked a supervisor for the store telephone
number so that I could call the manager.

All was solved the supervisor served me and sent the till
operator to go an read all the signs above the lanes until
she knew which lane was what.

Maybe I should have acted stupid and apologised then
moved to another till, but I was in the right lane, the till
operator must have had an arguement with somebody
before she came to work.

Mike.

While I want to agree with you, and do to a point. Do we just ignore those that constantly game the system ? Do we not need rules , to maintain a peaceful society?

As this demonstrates , people [as a whole] are not always going to be considerate on their own.

I mean the "express" line is intended for smaller orders, to assist those that are "in a hurry" and need just a few things. Shouldn't that rule/order be maintained?
The stores don't maintain that rule/order.
The staff doesn't say a thing to anyone over the limit and there's no way they can enforce it.
There will always be those pushing ahead of everyone in line everywhere you go.

I just don't sweat that kind of stuff anymore. In the main people are good. There is always the bad apple in the bunch. Don't let them contaminate you.

I'm so glad they have self checkouts now. Most people don't have a full cart and use the self checkout so it's only for a few items you can carry.

What bugs me at the self checkout is the over zealous staff that comes running over when they see an old guy using it. I have to tell them to leave me alone to figure it out and that's the only way I can learn the system. Every store is different with their software.

I understand your point , but it's not up to some random attacker to enforce the rules. If one person is breaking the rules then it's up to the cashier or store manager to inform them. No-one should be getting spat at and knocked to the ground , punched and kicked for having a few extra groceries on a cash till belt...

She probably drove all the way to the store in the passing lane and is parked in Handicapped using Grannie's handicapped card.

Stores should restrict the express lane to 12 items per basket. Anyone who wants to struggle around pushing two carts has earned the right to go first.

No we don’t just ignore them but we definitely don’t get physical with them over a few extra items.
That’s the definition of insane.

True but.......should 'we' not speak up ? Of course then the "offender" will, argue back, and that is what leads to the brawl. I did not mean to imply that 'we' should attack.......... :)

True but.......should 'we' not speak up ? Of course then the "offender" will, argue back, and that is what leads to the brawl. I did not mean to imply that 'we' should attack.......... :)
I suppose if you are up to having a confrontation then by all means but most things as petty as this just aren’t worth it. There are always going to be people trying to take advantage. We all have a choice to get mad and get even but in the end, is it really worth it?

LOL.....the worst/best I ever saw at a supermarket was.........

Some jackass parks his motorcycle {IN} the cart corral , an older woman put her cart in behind it. He comes out of the store,.... accuses her of hitting it, and gets in her face about it. Myself and two other guys walk over & 'challenge' him. He's still screaming / hollering. During all this, someone called the PD.........cut to the chase, he got in the cops face !!.......he left handcuffed in the backseat of the Ford, his motorcycle left on a roll-back.

I once unloaded my groceries on the belt and then the person behind me complained I had too many items. I looked up and saw that I was in the Express lane. I said I was sorry, I didn't realize, but neither she nor the cashier believed me and gave me dirty looks. The cashier rang me up anyway since the items were already unloaded on the belt. I don't remember exactly, but it was something like 10 items lane and I had maybe 18. After that I made sure to pay attention. Glad nobody beat me up. :cry:

LOL - years ago, I saw a funny cartoon:
A cashier is standing at her station, under a sign that says, "Express Lane - 10 Items Only." She's holding a shotgun with smoke coming out of the barrel. There are three bloody bodies laying on the floor.
The caption reads: "All right. Anybody else got more than 10 items?"

We have a funny situation here in the UK..

In the supermarkets they are only permitted to sell 2 packs of Generic meds at a time per customer. ..so 2 packs of aspirin ( usually a pack of 16) , 2 packs of sickness meds etc..in one transaction

However.., there's no law to say how many transactions a person can have ..so we're forced by law to have the ridiculous situ sometimes where a shopper will place 2 packs of aspirin on the belt.. put the separators bar on and put another 2 packs on, add the separator and add another 2 packs.. and so on potentially ad infinitum...

The law says we can only buy 2 packs in one transaction.. but we can buy them in as many transactions as we need.. sooo stupid!!

I jusr buy all my meds in Spain when I'm out there they have no such law, and I can buy painkillers etc, in large amounts ( no small packs of 16) in one transaction!!

I once unloaded my groceries on the belt and then the person behind me complained I had too many items. I looked up and saw that I was in the Express lane. I said I was sorry, I didn't realize, but neither she nor the cashier believed me and gave me dirty looks. The cashier rang me up anyway since the items were already unloaded on the belt. I don't remember exactly, but it was something like 10 items lane and I had maybe 18. After that I made sure to pay attention. Glad nobody beat me up. :cry:
You're lucky I wasn't in that lane. You'd still be nursing bite marks on your ankles. Course someone would have to hand me my cane and help get back up on my feet - - but that would teach you!!!

How about when the Express Lane cashier is standing idle while other open cash registers are three people deep? She gets to read her cell phone texts because, look, the sign says no more than 10 items.

We have a funny situation here in the UK..

In the supermarkets they are only permitted to sell 2 packs of Generic meds at a time per customer. ..so 2 packs of aspirin ( usually a pack of 16) , 2 packs of sickness meds etc..in one transaction

However.., there's no law to say how many transactions a person can have ..so we're forced by law to have the ridiculous situ sometimes where a shopper will place 2 packs of aspirin on the belt.. put the separators bar on and put another 2 packs on, add the separator and add another 2 packs.. and so on potentially ad infinitum...

The law says we can only buy 2 packs in one transaction.. but we can buy them in as many transactions as we need.. sooo stupid!!

I jusr buy all my meds in Spain when I'm out there they have no such law, and I can buy painkillers etc, in large amounts ( no small packs of 16) in one transaction!!
Some brainless politician brought that rule in years ago to stop
people commiting suicide, but I always thought that anybody so
minded would sace them up till they had a really lethal amount.

Mike.

What do you call someone with too many items in the express lane? An expresshole. LOL! Life is too short to cause a fight over it.

Life is too short which is why people get upset when they see something that's going to take up more of their time. Time is the thing one can never get back.

Back