Take care with those tornadoes folks!!

Dense, light darkening, bruise gray clouds with a steady light rain and distant thunder but no wind, where I live here in 'tornado alley'. There's a weather front with severe thunderstorms sweeping across the country to our east and south and a lesser system rotating in my own region.
One wonders what the rest of this spring and summer will bring.

Yesterday, the day of the tornadoes, I drove from my south central Nebraska home to Lincoln 90 miles east of here. I had some business there. I got home safely but experienced the kind of weather that creates tornadoes. Gray, black and greenish clouds, powerful gusting winds, heavy rain, some light hail and distant thunder and lightning. My phone's alarm kept telling me to seek shelter immediately. It wasn't 'till I got home that I learned that multiple tornadoes had formed in eastern Nebraska and devastated many peoples' homes. I had a fair amount of anxiety during that drive. Which BTW was to pick up a package of live honeybees.......I had several thousand bees in a box in my car. They're now happily familiarizing themselves with their new hive and neighborhood.
So, what is your rule of thumb when it comes to ignoring your phone alarms?

Were you figuring that if you don't see a tornado, you're safe?

It's going to be next month that we have to watch out for when the atmosphere really starts to get hot and we're in the eighties every day it will boil up some strong storms then Whoah Nellie it's time to head for the basement to duck and cover.

Not arguing, just noting . April 3rd 1974 was the worst breakout of storms & Tornadoes in this area . Two f-4s and several of lesser intensity . Something like 148 storms in all.

We had tornado warnings in our area last night, about 10PM, so we huddled in the basement for about an hour with the weather radio. Everthing passed at few miles North, and there weren't any tornados. This morning there are a bunch of reports of downed trees and people without power, all over the State. It rained all night, with almost 2" showing in the rain guage, with more coming most of today. So, we got lucky, but springtime storm season is just getting started, so we will probably see more of these conditions in coming weeks.

We had tornado warnings in our area last night, about 10PM, so we huddled in the basement for about an hour with the weather radio. Everthing passed at few miles North, and there weren't any tornados. This morning there are a bunch of reports of downed trees and people without power, all over the State. It rained all night, with almost 2" showing in the rain guage, with more coming most of today. So, we got lucky, but springtime storm season is just getting started, so we will probably see more of these conditions in coming weeks.

The storms you had last night are forecasted in my area tonight.

When I built this house 22 years ago, I did not have a basement dug .... my mistake. Wish I had, as I have no place to hide.

We had heavy rains all day yesterday...continued till after Supper. My rain guage holds 5 inches, and it overflowed. There was minor tornado damage near a small town about 25 miles away, but nothing serious, We had been in a moderate drought, but this storm put the yearly numbers well into the positive range.

Back