Talking of Ireland

I’ve visited Dublin many times and love it, something for everybody, fabulous architecture and places of interest, churches, museums, tourists attractions, plus great shopping and nightlife if you want it

Not cheap but I would recommend it for a good holiday

Can’t say I visited many pubs to be honest jet, but we went to Wexford, Waterford and the Wicklow Mountains, beautiful

One pub we did visit was Johnnie Fox’s, Established 1798, one of Ireland’s oldest and most famous traditional pubs and renowned for being the highest pub in the country!

Nestled high in the Mountains, in the peaceful township of Glencullen and surrounded by the beautiful scenery and serenity of the Wicklow & Dublin’s countryside, Johnnie Fox’s is just a 20 minute drive from Bray.

BC75EDF3-5565-4373-8BDC-D3E0E9FF9D83.jpeg

I was a student at Queens University in Belfast in the late 60's - just at the beginning of the "troubles". It very much influenced my views of the country. At that time Reginald Maudling was Home secretary and on leaving Belfast after his first visit, was reported as saying, "what a bloody awful country, give me a double whisky". Later, I heard a church minister saying that there was nothing wrong with the country - it was the people who spoiled it. Personally I prefer the much used saying that the best thing about Northern Ireland was the boat to Scotland :).

I’ve never visited Northern Ireland only the South, I imagine there’s quite a few people who would agree with those sayings !

Armchair travelling with Google Maps for good old Eire. Through films as well, the scenery is breathtaking. However, I haven't been yet, as you really need a car to visit most part of Ireland. Was told that it isn't ideal to visit from NI to Ireland, something about the borders, can't remember just now. Sorry!

Hubby had his last work contract in Belfast at H&W, actually visited by staying at his rental place. The history is both amazing and sad. Due to H&W's connection via Titanic and Halifax, Nova Scotia, which I'd visited in the past, it completed the circle of history.

I love history, cultures and traditions, the people are always nice, but some areas are populated with the departed and that's creepy sometimes. The wee kinks in visiting places and being clairvoyant. You see things that regular tourists don't bother or see.

However, some places aren't ideal to visiting, especially when alone... So, I guess I'll continue to watch the travel videos for now. Read loads about the Celtic magic, the legends and the conflicts and viewed the landscape.

That's what made me want to go for a spell, pardon the pun. Who knows, maybe some day!

I was a student at Queens University in Belfast in the late 60's - just at the beginning of the "troubles". It very much influenced my views of the country. At that time Reginald Maudling was Home secretary and on leaving Belfast after his first visit, was reported as saying, "what a bloody awful country, give me a double whisky". Later, I heard a church minister saying that there was nothing wrong with the country - it was the people who spoiled it. Personally I prefer the much used saying that the best thing about Northern Ireland was the boat to Scotland :).
The country itself is lovely and full of interesting places to visit. However, the people are very prejudiced...towards each other as well as the British.

Back