Tell me about your hobbies.

First and foremost, dancing - ballroom, Cajun, squares and contras, flatfooting and clogging. Was in a two different Appalachian style flatfooting and clogging troupes for about 15 years until I moved (these are NOT the troupes that
dance to canned music; instead we danced to live old-time string bands). Still teach it when I can. Reading - I always have at least two books going at the same time: one fiction, one nonfiction. Drawing and painting (just got some work accepted for a juried show).

Hobbies that have fallen by the wayside as I'm concentrating more on drawing and painting: crochet; knitting; sewing (although I still always have a doily in the works to keep my hands busy while on the phone.

Pic 1: I'm in the front in the brown dress. This is The Hot Pepper Steppers performing at the Florida Folk Festival

Pic 2: This is just me dancing on my step-a-tune between shows at the Florida Folk Festival circa 1996

Clogging.12.jpgDance1.jpg

OMG... Small World..... Rodney was a friend of a family friend, 1st met him many years ago in NY...
Haven't crossed paths with him in years... Is he still teaching at Swannanowa?
We are local to Asheville but the last several years have just kept us out of the music scene...

OMG... Small World..... Rodney was a friend of a family friend, 1st met him many years ago in NY...
Haven't crossed paths with him in years... Is he still teaching at Swannanowa?
We are local to Asheville but the last several years have just kept us out of the music scene...
I saw him in 2018 at Galax. He was still teaching at that time, I think. He was also doing school programs and lots of workshops around the country. I know he did one in Tallahassee (where I lived when I was in the dance troupes) that year. If you play clawhammer banjo, do you know Ira Kohn? Oh no!!! I'm sorry you are out of the music scene. I'm out because of location right now, but I miss it terribly.

I never had a hobby....OK, my husband is the hobby person....We are not at our home right now....When we get home I will show here
what my husband makes....Mostly wood furniture...He made shutters in our sunroom...And many more....
I can't wait to go home...ā€¦
But I did dance many years ago...My legs can't take it anymore....
Love all pictures here....ā™„

I play a few games on my phone and tablet. I prefer word games and Cody Cross crossword puzzle but have other types of games, including regular mahjong and fantasy mahjong on my phone. I'm on three social networking sites which I mostly enjoy but it takes a lot of time to keep up.

I've gotten back to practicing on my digital piano. Since my music is for sale, I guess it can't be considered a hobby. I've just gotten back into doing my coloring books and using coloring apps. Last week I downloaded a color by number app which I like because I don't have to ponder color choices. The other app is not by number. I used to draw portraits with charcoal but haven't done that in decades. Some were from photos, others from my mind. Here is the latest from a coloring book...it sat a long time before I
finished it. The mandala on the right was done in an app (not color by number).
.20200622_141429.jpg2017-04-01 04.38.31.jpg

I'm not crafty nor do I know how to dance. I stay inside and keep to myself. I do crosswords, read (actual) books, read online newspapers, listen to music & podcasts, write poetry, write on a blogger, & video gaming. I love Animal Crossing and Sims games. Oh and then there's this pesky internet addiction. :D

I would love to ballroom dance but, until they design dances for one I'm afraid all I can do is admire. LOL

About 30 years ago, I used to "fix-up" boats as a hobby. People would ask me who did the work and after they found out it was me, they'd ask, "Can you do mine?" A few boats later, I found myself in the restoration business full time. Here is the "Before and After" page from my website.
http://www.nautilusrestorations.com/beforeandafter.html
Fantastic . I love mahogany boats. In Canada they were the Peterborugh brand. Not too many around anymore.Boat.jpg

Last edited:
I worked my way through college doing close up sleight of hand magic in restaurants, bars and at corporate events. I transitioned into a career in stand up comedy and mostly left the magic behind. In the past couple of years I've revisited my passion for sleight of hand magic and have even done numerous zoom shows during quarantine and have begun offering online sleight of hand lessons. It's a great hobby for seniors because it really helps sharpen your memory and your dexterity, not to mention making you more entertaining than most of the grandparents out there. šŸ˜

I'm also doing a lot more reading and learning more about video editing.

Text & Emails 004.JPG
Letter writing is a dying art according a poll commissioned by Cunard, who once carried all the mail, in both directions, across The Atlantic. Writing, by hand, is one of my past times. My wife can lose herself dressmaking in her cabin, when she's there I write to a number of pen friends. My letters are all one way these days, the recipients are all older than me and arthritic fingers can be painful when holding a pen if they respond by letter. But I do get emails and texts in acknowledgement.

The style of my handwriting, which I learned at school, was known back then as Italic Script. Nowadays I see it described as cursive. A good description when a blob of ink ruins your handiwork and it has to be written all over again. I can be more than a bit cursive when that happens.

If anyone ever gets frustrated when trying to get in touch with a large organisation, try handwriting a letter, don't forget to enclose a stamped self addressed envelope. It provokes a response like no other and yet it was only yesterday that the mail room, or sometimes known as the post room, was a key part in many an organisation.

Our favourite passion is ballroom dancing which we have really missed throughout the lockdown. Hopefully venues will soon start to reopen, we have already booked to attend a couple of weekend long dance festivals.

quote-i-have-a-large-sea-shell-collection-which-i-keep-scattered-on-beaches-all-over-the-world-steven-wright-132-44-31.jpg

Back