Thanksgiving menu for 2021 ideas for 12 people

Pauline1954

Hi all Im having Thanksgiving at my house for my daughter, granddaughter, husband with his parents and 5 great children. So a total of 5 children and 7 adults= 12

Any suggestions to keep this easy and simple?

My thoughts were just having traditional menu.
●Turkey
●Dressing/Stuffing 😋
●Smashed potatoes w/gravy
●Greenbean casserole
●Corn
●Sweet potatoes
●Waldorf salad NO!
●Cranberry sauce
●Dinner rolls or Cornbread
●Pecan pie
●Pumpkin pie

Its been year since I've cooked for this many. And children too. Im wondering what kind of different desert may fit the under 12 crowd. The children are ages 1 1/2 yr, 4, 8, 9 and 11 yrs.

If you were doing this dinner how would you handle it besides going out to a restaurant.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Go to KFC or one of the restaurants around you. Tell them how many & they will cook & make everything you need. My wife & I done this many times after son was gone & it was just wife, me, son & his wife.

Sure was good, even had leftovers but best of all NO dishes to wash.

I agree it would be easier. But, frankly I want to cook because of my grandchildren. I guess its a Granny thing.

I am thinking prepare as much as I can weeks in advance like the pies and freeze them. It will take me 3 days just to pull it off. But I will. And I know my Granddaughter will love it. She is 27 and we raised her. She has made us Great Grandparents of 3 and one due in April. 😀 Her husband has two by his first marriage. So they have a big family.

Sounds good to me!

I would add stuffing/dressing to the menu.

A pan of brownies, from a mix, studded with walnuts would probably please the younger folks. You could dress them up with a scoop of
Ice cream and a squirt of chocolate syrup.

My way of coping with a large traditional meal is to do most of the prep work early in the morning.

The green bean casserole and sweet potatoes can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until it’s time to put them in the oven. Peel the Irish potatoes and refrigerate them covered in water until it’s time to cook them.

Make the pies the day before or visit the bakery.

The Waldorf salad is the only tricky item because the raw apples tend to brown and the walnuts lose their crunch. I would probably do the prep work and assemble it just before serving.

Some grapes and a bowl of goldfish crackers or something similar might be good as an appetizer to keep the kids from starving before dinner.

If any single dish is stressing you out swap it for something simple.

The important thing is to enjoy your family.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Hi all Im having Thanksgiving at my house for my daughter, granddaughter, husband with his parents and 5 great children. So a total of 5 children and 7 adults= 12

Any suggestions to keep this easy and simple?

My thoughts were just having traditional menu.
●Turkey
●Smashed potatoes w/gravy
●Greenbean casserole
●Corn
●Sweet potatoes
●Waldorf salad
●Cranberry sauce
●Dinner rolls or Cornbread
●Pecan pie
●Pumpkin pie

Its been year since I've cooked for this many. And children too. Im wondering what kind of different desert may fit the under 12 crowd. The children are ages 1 1/2 yr, 4, 8, 9 and 11 yrs.

If you were doing this dinner how would you handle it besides going out to a restaurant.

Thank you.
OMG! No stuffing/dressing?

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes
Green bean casserole (for my daughter) and/or fresh green beans with slivered almonds and cranberries
Steamed broccoli
Cranberry sauce
Various drinks (apple juice, wine, soft drinks, milk)
Pecan, apple, and pumpkin pies served with choice of ice cream or freshly made whipped cream (or both)

Sounds good to me!

I would add stuffing/dressing to the menu.

A pan of brownies, from a mix, studded with walnuts would probably please the younger folks. You could dress them up with a scoop of
Ice cream and a squirt of chocolate syrup.

My way of coping with a large traditional meal is to do most of the prep work early in the morning.

The green bean casserole and sweet potatoes can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until it’s time to put them in the oven. Peel the Irish potatoes and refrigerate them covered in water until it’s time to cook them.

Make the pies the day before or visit the bakery.

The Waldorf salad is the only tricky item because the raw apples tend to brown and the walnuts lose their crunch. I would probably do the prep work and assemble it just before serving.

Some grapes and a bowl of goldfish crackers or something similar might be good as an appetizer to keep the kids from starving before dinner.

If any single dish is stressing you out swap it for something simple.

The important thing is to enjoy your family.

Have fun!
Oh yes. I forgot to list dressing. I Always have it. Thanks. Ok, I will take off waldorf salad. I love. So I will just prepare it later if I want it for just my husband and I. I really like the snack fruit and goldfishas an appetizer. Thank you.

When my sons were under 18, I used to make cheese pizzas for those who didn't like the holiday meal food. Two of my sons are picky eaters, and another son and my daughter will eat nearly anything. All of my sons are vegan now. Even my meat-loving son is vegan. Even if I made one of those tofu turkeys, I don't see him being able to resist Thanksgiving dinner -- his favorite meal.

Personally, I like the day after Thanksgiving the best. Turkey, dressing and gravy sandwiches, made with buttered white bread. My mother was German, so mayo wasn't a thing at our house. My cousin (his mother was also German) even eats PB sandwiches on buttered bread. Now that is strange!

If you're buying pumpkin pie from the store remember that not all pumpkin pies are the same. I've found that Costco has the best pumpkin pies and they are HUGE and cheap. Even then, I lightly dust the top with seasonings...ginger powder, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Then serve with choice of ice cream or whipped cream. They sell usually pecan pies too...also huge.
BTW...don't forget the gravy for your turkey and mashed potatoes. And cranberry sauce.

@Pauline1954,sounds like a good menu. I have to add turnip and creamed onions for the hubby but that's a personal choice.

Something that I just recently learned is to make the turkey the day before. The next morning when its cold it slices easily and the slices can be reheated in broth.
Another thing I started doing was making use of a big foam cooler with lots of frozen ice packs. Since refrigerator space is at a premium I pack all the things that we use daily such as jelly, eggs, jars of pickles, produce etc. and put it on my screened in porch or garage.
Sometimes there is room for the pies also. This keeps overnight.
I've even stuck the cooler in my car trunk if I thought there might be a mouse lurking in the garage.

Making and freezing everything possible weeks in advance helps also.

I would make cupcakes for the kiddies with plenty of sprinkles. My grandkids can't resist sprinkles and of course make and freeze the cupcakes in advance.

@Pauline1954 , what about lemon meringue pie? :)

I used to love my grandmother's lemon meringue pie on Thanksgiving. She made the best pies and fried chicken.

Since my wife is unable to cook these days, it looks like I'm responsible for preparing Thanksgiving dinner this year, although it's just going to be the two of us and maybe her idiot brother. Should I make a whole turkey or just a turkey breast? Leftovers would be good for all sorts of meals: turkey tetrazzini, turkey pot pie, turkey pizza, turkey sandwiches, turkey salad...

@RadishRose Dorcas Reilly would have her feelings hurt:cry: Remember her? She's the lady who dreamed up green bean casserole while working in the test kitchen at Campbell's Soup. And ditch it? Never! It's so much a part of an American Thanksgiving that it has even been included in a cookbook that I have called "The Back of the Box Gourmet"!

Never mind that it's not particularly healthy 😊

BTW, on the subject of T'Day menus...I cheat and use Stovetop Stuffing for turkey, doctored up a tad with a peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple and some cooked sage sausage. It beats trying to get the flavoring just right and having to crumble all that stale bread.

Last edited:
@Pauline1954,sounds like a good menu. I have to add turnip and creamed onions for the hubby but that's a personal choice.

Something that I just recently learned is to make the turkey the day before. The next morning when its cold it slices easily and the slices can be reheated in broth.
Another thing I started doing was making use of a big foam cooler with lots of frozen ice packs. Since refrigerator space is at a premium I pack all the things that we use daily such as jelly, eggs, jars of pickles, produce etc. and put it on my screened in porch or garage.
Sometimes there is room for the pies also. This keeps overnight.
I've even stuck the cooler in my car trunk if I thought there might be a mouse lurking in the garage.

Making and freezing everything possible weeks in advance helps also.

I would make cupcakes for the kiddies with plenty of sprinkles. My grandkids can't resist sprinkles and of course make and freeze the cupcakes in advance.
Good idea on the cooler. I told my husband next year Im getting a small freezer. Ive tried to avoid purchasing one but it would sure comes in handy with meat prices sky rocketing.

Im going to use the cooler method so I can have plenty of fridge room.
Thanks

@Pauline1954 , what about lemon meringue pie? :)

I used to love my grandmother's lemon meringue pie on Thanksgiving. She made the best pies and fried chicken.

Since my wife is unable to cook these days, it looks like I'm responsible for preparing Thanksgiving dinner this year, although it's just going to be the two of us and maybe her idiot brother. Should I make a whole turkey or just a turkey breast? Leftovers would be good for all sorts of meals: turkey tetrazzini, turkey pot pie, turkey pizza, turkey sandwiches, turkey salad...

My suggestion is just get a small turkey. Cook it low and slow. It will be juicy. Baste it with butter or lard. The breast will be tastier than just a breast. This way you can have left overs. I love the drippings and gravy i can make from it. As for meringue pie., ive made it one time. It failed. Lol

@RadishRose Dorcas Reilly would have her feelings hurt:cry: Remember her? She's the lady who dreamed up green bean casserole while working in the test kitchen at Campbell's Soup. And ditch it? Never! It's so much a part of an American Thanksgiving that it has even been included in a cookbook that I have called "The Back of the Box Gourmet"!

BTW, on the subject of T'Day menus...I cheat and use Stovetop Stuffing for turkey, doctored up a tad with a peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple and some cooked sage sausage. It beats trying to get the flavoring just right and having to crumble all that stale bread.

Thanks for the history on,the greenbean casserole. My family LOVES! I need to research the history. 😀

No one in my family or families of my friends ever made the green bean casserole. As an adult I finally tasted it and it was just... meh.
Maybe it was just the cook. I can't remember who it was

Back