The Bagel Has Landed

Well, I have to admit I like the puffy kind as well as the more dense kind of bagel.

But, a relative of the bagel is one of my favorite snacks, The Bialy
bialy.jpg(pronounced "bee-YOW-ee". The bialy is a Polish baked ring with a depressed center and are becoming very hard to find. I guess Polish neighborhoods would have them. My grocerys haven't had them in awile.

The Art of the Bialy
Named after Bialystock, Poland, which was made famous through the musical Fiddler on the Roof, a bialy combines the flavors of an English muffin and a bagel. This flat, round baked product is low in calories, fat and cholesterol, with no sugar or oil added. The texture of the top and the bottom of a bialy are distinctively different. The top is light and crunchy while the bottom is heavier and chewy.

https://www.bialy.com/

Last edited:
I thought you ordered a Beagle!

iu

Every bagel I have tried to eat was as tough as a car tire. Tried them twice and never took more than one bite. Croissants, doughnuts, kolaches and biscuits make it for me.

I've been enjoying Thomas' cinnamon raisin bagels

Different strokes as they say but the Thomas line or any store bought brand with 5 or 6 wrapped in plastic is definitely not a bagel!

I remember getting off work and going over to the bagel store and watching the bagels drop freshly baked from the oven now there is a bagel....

Different strokes as they say but the Thomas line or any store bought brand with 5 or 6 wrapped in plastic is definitely not a bagel!

I remember getting off work and going over to the bagel store and watching the bagels drop freshly baked from the oven now there is a bagel....
Pete, you are sounding like a bagel snob...... :unsure:

Pete, you are sounding like a bagel snob...... :unsure:
If at 73 a longing for the true taste of different foods is being a snob I am definitely one.
I also long for the intense flavor of true tomatoes like those from the 60's. I remember buying them from roadside farm stands and when slicing them at home the aroma was so intense your mouth would soon be watering, today unfortunately all tomatoes for the most part almost taste like eating cardboard.

So I will continue to bemoan their loss
and live on the memories of old

If at 73 a longing for the true taste of different foods is being a snob I am definitely one.
I also long for the intense flavor of true tomatoes like those from the 60's. I remember buying them from roadside farm stands and when slicing them at home the aroma was so intense your mouth would soon be watering, today unfortunately all tomatoes for the most part almost taste like eating cardboard.

So I will continue to bemoan their loss
and live on the memories of old
Yeah, I know the feeling, but our food and our taste buds have undergone so much change in 70+ years, that our food memories feed our minds rather than our bellies. It's OK to eat today's food...its not all poison. We're just havin' fun here....thanks for the memories.

How to make the perfect Montreal bagel: 100 years of wisdom from Fairmount Bagel

Back