The Bagel Has Landed

I may have gained a couple of pounds looking at those pics, guys. I blame it all on YOU! I wonder if I should still make that NY Bagel recipe I posted above?

Everything bagels are great. All bagels are wonderful.

My very favorite is a toasted (must be toasted) sesame bagel with cream cheese, lox, and a little red onion; not much. Heaven.

iu

Or, just with cream cheese or butter.
We buy our lox (Norwegian farmed) from Costco and also like to have it on either a sesame, plain or salted bagel with a thin slice of onion and Philadelphia cream cheese. Usually buy our bagels from Einstein's Bagels, they are all around town. Also like onion bagels with butter or cream cheese. Always toast our bagels. (y)

I love a good bagel but not had one for many years. The best ones I had were in a London east end street called Petticoat Lane and a Jewish baker shop and their bread and bakery were second to none and the bagels were top notch also their jam doughnuts that popped out of a machine at a fast rate and hot....irresistable to a teenager with a sweet tooth. Cant think of that bakery's name...a senior moment and will think of it at some stage I hope 😆

Last edited:
When I was working, I would stop by Sobey's and they had the freshest bagels. I toasted it dark (not burnt) with extra butter and was in heaven. Now that I am losing weight, I can't indulge that much anymore as they are high in calories (even without the butter). I do go to Timmies once in awhile and indulge. I wouldn't even bother trying to make them as I watch my daughter do this once and it is alot of work.

I love a good bagel but not had one for many years. The best ones I had were in a London east end street called Petticoat Lane and a Jewish baker shop and their bread and bakery were second to none and the bagels were top notch also their jam doughnuts that popped out of a machine at a fast rate and hot....irresistable to a teenager with a sweet tooth. Cant think of that bakery's name...a senior moment and will think of it at some stage I hope 😆
The name of the Jewish bakery I spoke of is Kossofs and this came to me in the early hours!

Bagel World (Wilson Avenue) Toronto
a58d-20110826-bagelworld-1.jpg

"Bagel World has been on Wilson Avenue for over 45 years, serving their famous "Bagelini" (flat bagel panini) to loyal patrons. There are a couple other locations in the GTA, but this Bagel World is the original and frequented by many grey-haired breakfast special-enthusiasts. Besides bagels, of course, Bagel World makes its own soup, cookies, loaves, and venerable chocolate Mandelbrot."

How New York’s Bagel Union Fought — and Beat — a Mafia Takeover
06-nyc-bagel.w570.h712.jpg

"In 1944, on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, some enterprising thief stole a truckload of more than 1,500 bagels slated for delivery from Fisher’s Bakery on Norfolk Street. It was a newsworthy event, and local papers covered it duly — especially the primary mystery confronting policemen on the scene. At question, reported the Associated Press: “They wanted to know what a bagel was.” "
https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/01/bagel-mafia-wars-local-338-union.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

A Brief History of the Bagel (link)
Since its origins, the bagel is a staple that’s inspired fierce loyalties

"In the United States, bagels arrived with the Eastern European immigrants of the late 19th-century, but didn't emerge from their mostly Jewish niche markets into the mainstream until the 1970s. That was the era when "ethnic food" became trendy, and it was also when an enterprising family named the Lenders began marketing their brand of frozen bagels—"the Jewish English muffin," they called it—to the masses through witty television ads."

"In 1984, Lender's Bagels were selling so well that Kraft Foods bought the company, which was a delicious marketing opportunity (Kraft makes Philadelphia cream cheese, so the merger "was billed as 'the wedding of the century,'" Balinska writes, complete with a mock ceremony between a tubby "bride" named Phyl and an eight-foot bagel named Len). By the mid-'90s, bagels were a multibillion-dollar industry in America. Despite our best efforts at low-carb diets, we're still addicted (though our love for frozen bagels has, well, cooled)."

"Bagel loyalties can run deep and fierce. Balinska describes the horror with which some New Yorkers greeted the advent of frozen bagels: "How can that be a bagel? A doughnut dipped in cement and then frozen?""

"A truly good bagel, wrote one critic, should be "a fairly small, dense, gray, cool and chewy delight that gave jaw muscles a Sunday morning workout," not the pillowy monstrosities now preferred by "a public too lazy to chew."

Back