The Church of Scientology. A respectful, civil, sharing of thoughts.

From the Scientology website -

Scientology is not a dogmatic religion in which one is asked to accept anything on faith alone. On the contrary, one discovers for oneself that the principles of Scientology are true by applying its principles and observing or experiencing the results.

I like it that you can apply the principles and expect to experience or observe results in the here and now instead of the hereafter.

What are your thoughts or maybe you have experiences to share? Please share, respectfully and civilly being key.

The Church of Scientology. A respectful, civil, sharing of thoughts.
Respectfully, I suppose Scientology technically qualifies as a "church" under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, but I think that "cult" is a better descriptor. From encountering Scientology recruiters on college campus in the 70s, I found them to be aggressive and heavy-handed, if you didn't agree with them or submit to joining them. Maybe that's changed, but from what I know, Scientology just sells over-priced behavioral modification classes("Levels").
A high school friend of mine was sucked into Scientology, they turned him against his family and bled the money out of him.

Respectfully, I suppose Scientology technically qualifies as a "church" under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, but I think that "cult" is a better descriptor.
The best argument I know against giving tax exempt status to any organization. Result is all of us end up subsidizing things we don't like or believe in.

The Shadowy Story Behind Scientology's Tax-Exempt Status​

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/nytimes.html
Scientology is not a dogmatic religion in which one is asked to accept anything on faith alone.
No, they are satisfied getting your money...

Scientology is very dogmatic.

Members are pressured to accept all materials as written, and when they don't, are forced to visit the Scientology Police ... Ethics Officer until they do.

Members in the "Sea Organization" are physically restrained and "imprisoned" until they become totally subservient or they find a way to run away.

I have inside knowledge of this group.

Back in the mid 70s I worked with a Scientologist. Her apartment was on my way to work, and her junker car was often on the fritz so I gave her a lift when I could. Her whole world revolved around Scientology. She and her husband both had decent jobs but were in debt up to their ears due to Scientology classes.

Despite repeated HR warnings, she continued to proselytize at work and tried to get people to go to a meeting, so she was fired during her probationary period. Good riddance - she was a one note song.

I was in my early twenties then, and remember thinking: if Scientology is so great and so helpful to you, why do you live in a crappy apartment in a sketchy part of town and share a junker car with your husband? I need this life like I need the flu...

Several years ago I was at a county fair and passed a Scientology booth. They were chatting up some kids in their late teens - giving them the whole spiel. I pulled one aside and said, "Scientology? Really??? Dude, don't you watch South Park?" He laughed, said "Yeah, I do." Then grabbed one of his friend's arms and said, "Let's go."

South Park did a brilliant, hilarious take on Scientology. As is their style, in less than thirty minutes they accurately explained the beliefs - which are ridiculous when you examine them in the clear light of day.

It's a cult.

Want to add that my mother's doctor's office was quite close to the huge Church of Scientology campus on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. They had people in weird uniforms circling the block on bicycles, telling people that they couldn't park on that street. Guess they were hoping to save the spots for true believers.

I parked my car and told the guy to get bent, they didn't own the street. Then took a photo of the guy with my phone and said if there was any damage to my car when I returned I'd call the police.

My car was fine when I went back an hour later.

Jerks.

Respectfully, I suppose Scientology technically qualifies as a "church" under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, but I think that "cult" is a better descriptor. From encountering Scientology recruiters on college campus in the 70s, I found them to be aggressive and heavy-handed, if you didn't agree with them or submit to joining them. Maybe that's changed, but from what I know, Scientology just sells over-priced behavioral modification classes("Levels").
A high school friend of mine was sucked into Scientology, they turned him against his family and bled the money out of him.
Sounds like most of the christians here in my area. I have been shunned for wearing shorts and pants.

From the Scientology website -

Scientology is not a dogmatic religion in which one is asked to accept anything on faith alone. On the contrary, one discovers for oneself that the principles of Scientology are true by applying its principles and observing or experiencing the results.

I like it that you can apply the principles and expect to experience or observe results in the here and now instead of the hereafter.

What are your thoughts or maybe you have experiences to share? Please share, respectfully and civilly being key.
I'm really LOL'ing at the question.
What kind of answers were you really expecting from reasonably-intelligent people?

The "Church" of Scientology is the product of the imagination of L. Ron Hubbard, who was both brilliant and bat-shit crazy. It is not a church. It's a cult that abuses its members both emotionally and physically, and splits up families. It is run by David Miscavige, who is a narcissistic, dangerous psychopath.

I beg anyone who is considering joining it to please DON'T. It will ruin your life. Read this book: Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright | Goodreads Also watch the documentary called "Going Clear" and the TLC series by former member Leah Remini.

Last edited:
That's what they do...get you hooked and bleed money from you. And it hasn't changed. Personally, I wish the whole operation would be shut down for its crimes against humanity.

South Park did a brilliant, hilarious take on Scientology. As is their style, in less than thirty minutes they accurately explained the beliefs - which are ridiculous when you examine them in the clear light of day.
They did something just like it on Mormonism, too. I laughed and laughed. If they ever do my religion I don't know if I'll have the nerve to watch it. Eek. :D

Last edited:
I'm not even going to join this discussion. I am presently watching a DVD series on Joseph Stalin and how he murdered millions of his people. It just amazes me how people, like sheep, follow some leader. They followed Adolf Hitler, they followed Benito Mussolini and countless other madmen.

So, it's very easy for people to follow certain religions, claim they are right and they are going to heaven while everyone else who thinks differently is going to hell.

Attachments

• Best of Friends.jpg
    Best of Friends.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
  • The Sheep.jpg
    The Sheep.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back