The Detectorists - Delightful British series

Sunny

SF VIP
It's on Acorn, a wonderful British channel that streams to my TV for about $6 a month. The series is called The Detectorists, and it is delightful, quirky, etc., in the grand tradition of offbeat British humor.

It's about two oddballs, lovably eccentric middle aged gentlemen, who roam around the countryside where they live, armed with metal detectors. They are fanatic members of the Metal Detecting Club, always searching for valuable artifacts. But what they find is nearly entirely an assortment of used hardware and old matchbox toy cars. They think there is a precious find underground, of historic significance, if they could only find it. Meanwhile, they are threatened by a rival gang of outsider detectorists. Everybody in this show is some kind of oddball, and it's all done with a straight face.

The two men are sort of intellectuals, but everything they utter is said with great ernestness in, well, whatever you call the accent in Essex, England, which makes it very funny.

If you get the Acorn channel, don't miss it. I think this show alone is well worth the 6 bucks. Those of you in England may get it on your regular cable channels.

I thought I might be the only one watching this ! The show really does have a lot of heart. The first 2 seasons are also available on Netflix. I'm going to sign up for Acorn just so I can watch the final season.

Back