"The end justifies the means",....., discuss!

grahamg

Old codger
Here is your homework for tonight, discuss in 1,000 words the proposition that: "The end justifies the means"!

You might consider getting your children or grandchildren to check your homework before you hand it in, and I'll share with you some details concerning the situation when I was advised to follow that maxim as a reward for your efforts! :)

I'm not going to get into writing this, grahamg, as I've done so ad nauseum in ethics classes and would need many more than 1000 words to contrast deontology with utilitarianism. However, I'd be interested in reading your essay. I'm not asking for your specific situation, but rather for your overall view of why utilitarianism does or doesn't trump deontology. :)

My overall view is that it depends upon the situation; I don't come down totally on one or the other.

Last edited:
In all honesty I was joking when setting everyone "homework", but I'm delighted to have uncovered someone I think I can fairly describe as well versed in the thread topic.

I will come back with the example that brought the thread topic to mind, no problem about that, I'll just have to word it adequately so as to illustrate the ethical dilemma being posed. :)

In all honesty I was joking when setting everyone "homework", but I'm delighted to have uncovered someone I think I can fairly describe as well versed in the thread topic.

I will come back with the example that brought the thread topic to mind, no problem about that, I'll just have to word it adequately so as to illustrate the ethical dilemma being posed. :)
No, grahamg. I wasn't looking for you to divulge that situation, just a general answer. I said that with me it's situational; care to stake your claim?

Narrow it down a piece and have a shot, (that's what I'm goina do :) ).
You mean you aren't going to write 1000 words? I'll give it a shot using less wording.

The scenario
A serial child rapist is difficult to find.

The rapist has a particular type or at least all prior rapes have followed a specific pattern. Law enforcement has developed a profile.

One parent has a child fitting the profile & pattern. They want to promote their child's acting. So law authorities are made aware of this & decide to accept the parents proposed use of their child as bait.

The rapist is caught.

Since the decision made was successful while extremely dangerous for the child. Law enforcement & the parents believe the end justified the means.

Do you agree?

Last edited:
You mean you aren't going to write 1000 words? I'll give it a shot using less wording.
The scenario: A serial child rapist is difficult to find. (Break)
One parent has a child fitting the profile & pattern. They want to promote their child's acting. So law authorities are made aware of this & decide to accept the parents proposed use of their child as bait. The rapist is caught.
Since the decision made was successful while extremely dangerous for the child. Law enforcement & the parents believe the end justified the means. Do you agree?
Very tough scenario put forward I have to say, (I'd be unhappy with the justification being put forward "They want to promote their child's acting").
A tv chef in the UK called Anthony Worrall Thompson described in his autobiography a slightly similar situation to the one you've described. When he was a schoolboy he helped trap a teacher who had been abusing other boys at the school, (though being very resourceful and confident, he'd somehow organised all this himself). The teacher was dismissed but may have found another job in teaching subsequently, so not stopped from abusing others unfortunately, though you have to admire the courage the young Mr. Thompson showed.

The dog ate my homework.
Was it very hungry and ate the whole 1,000 words straight off, or did it baulk half way through until you covered the homework in more steak and gravy?
Go to the back of the classroom and await your punishment for trying to cover up your own actions, (funnily enough the scenario I'm warming myself up to relate in relation to the thread topic involves misleading folks! :) ).

Here is your homework for tonight, discuss in 1,000 words the proposition that: "The end justifies the means"
Blather, blather, blah, blah.........(a thousand words later).........no

The beginning doesn't even justify the means

Nothing justifies anything

Now, results......that's nature

And you don't be mess'n with her

Are Footnotes required ? What about Veiled quotes ? I'm also worried about the use of a 'Curve'...
You've taken me to this, (for which I'm most obliged):

"But the nature of man is sufficiently revealed for him to know something of himself and sufficiently veiled to leave much impenetrable darkness, a darkness in which he ever gropes, forever in vain, trying to understand himself." (Alexis de Tocqueville)

https://fs.blog/2017/10/veil-ignorance/

Last edited:
Blather, blather, blah, blah.........(a thousand words later).........no
The beginning doesn't even justify the means
Nothing justifies anything (Ke?, "Nothing"?)

Now, results......that's nature
And you don't be mess'n with her

Come now humour me young man at the back of the class lookin out da winda! :)

My great uncle was another wise man, and he would have understood you though, and used to say "He'd had his education along the back lanes of the countryside", (much to the approval of his farming mates, including my father).

Last edited:

Back