The fight within

Therapy hasn't really helped all that much. One of the main problems I have with the VA is their handing out pills as an answer to a problem. Anytime you have pills with side effects that include "depression, suicide thoughts etc" it strikes me that maybe, just maybe you shouldn't be handing them out like candy. I suppose not all VA facilities fall into this category, but, unfortunately the ones near me do.
I've already lost my youngest to this exact problem, so needless to say, I don't have a lot of confidence in the system.
Writing down thoughts has had a much more positive result as has a couple of fellow grunt groups I belong to. Unless one has had to take a life, I cannot expect them to fully comprehend. I would expect 911 may understand that feeling more so than others.
I do thank you for your concern RR. :) It's a fight, but, I've no doubt I'll survive. It's in my DNA I think. 😣

I was lucky. I spent 14 months in Vietnam as a combat Marine. I was also wounded, but only minimally. I came home with all my parts that I had before I left. I have no problem with watching war movies, but I don’t like sharing war stories with the guys at the local American Legion. No PTSD here.

I do have a friend who suffered greatly with it. His wife told me that he fought the war everyday for years. Finally, his therapy helped him to some extent. Enough so that he could get some sleep at night. I remember him telling me a few stories that if true, and I have no reason not to believe him, I may have ended up the same way as him. He finally did commit suicide when he was in his mid 50’s.

Multiple demons (not just PTSD) and almost everyday it's a fight. Worse around 2-4am.
Some days are worse than others. Humor helps, so I try to find a chuckle whenever possible.
Also try to find projects during the day so I can sleep at night.

I'm so glad you shared the struggle with us! ({@squatting dog }) ...the brackets and parentheses mean cyber hugs! Not sure if that's a thing a guy knows, lol.

Last edited:
Saw this posted elsewhere on Veterans Day.

9a72eaf4-f279-47af-9239-2743f4e2bd3b-111118_Ramsey_Veterans.jpg

Multiple demons (not just PTSD) and almost everyday it's a fight. Worse around 2-4am.
Some days are worse than others. Humor helps, so I try to find a chuckle whenever possible.
Also try to find projects during the day so I can sleep at night.
Humor is huge
Projects are huge

It's day by day, dawg, but you know this

All the best to you, man, for the tomorrows

I had decided to no longer reply to this site but felt the urge to reach out. I had a problem that the VA addressed with Zoloft. I credit that drug with saving more than my marriage. The only noticeable side effect is that I like people TOO much and that I sometimes scare them. I’ll take the side effect. Buena fortuna.

SD- you give so much for animals -who love you for all your thoughts your dealing with'
I can tell you now your not alone - not many people young or older that have the perfect life
as you may think ' demons come in all shapes and forms-

I had decided to no longer reply to this site but felt the urge to reach out. I had a problem that the VA addressed with Zoloft. I credit that drug with saving more than my marriage. The only noticeable side effect is that I like people TOO much and that I sometimes scare them. I’ll take the side effect. Buena fortuna.
You aren’t as different as you think.
Some people are more socially awkward than others. I’m one of them and know I’m not the only one. You aren’t that different. We have more similarities than differences. ❤️

Well, squattingdog, you don't think therapy helps and you refuse meds. There's not much left in the "help" bag. If you believe your symptoms are severe enough, you will have to choose which, or what combination, is beneficial to you. I understand your aversion to meds, But you don't know what works until you try it. Same with therapy.

PTSD, Combat Fatigue and Shell Shock are synonyms; WWI has videos showing the extreme behaviors of Shell Shock, as dose WW II.
I've yet to search for PTSD, watching these victims is disturbing, more over-the ignorance of how to treat them is WWI and II,

Last edited:

Back