The Great North Road 1939

Back to a time and place when life was truly about living, when people's lives weren't run into the ground by bully companies eight days a week, when weekends were weekends, when family was family, when people didn't buy into materialism and greed at the rate people are buying into it today, when people were people (real people), when manners stood for something, and when respect was the way.

My dad always said, "There were no good old days." He was right. His father was killed by a falling tree in 1929 at the time the Stock Market crashed. Women were owned by the men in their lives. Families bullied each others. There was no good birth control. We like to think things were better than they were. They weren't. They were just different. The more things change the more they stay the same.

My dad always said, "There were no good old days." He was right. His father was killed by a falling tree in 1929 at the time the Stock Market crashed. Women were owned by the men in their lives. Families bullied each others. There was no good birth control. We like to think things were better than they were. They weren't. They were just different. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Every era will always have it pros and cons, but I'll take the past over today (any day).

I do not like what I am seeing at all nowadays.

I don't like what I see either, but I would not want to go back to a time when I had no rights and when minorities were treated even worse than they are now. I would not want to go back to a time when I could not have cataract surgery. I would be blind now. I would not want to go back to a time before a lot of the major diseases had solutions, like measles and polio vaccines. I had a friend in high school who was crippled by polio. I would not have known some of the dear people I loved so much because I would have had no opportunity to meet them. They added so much to my life. Plus I would not have had the educational opportunities that transformed my life.

I don't like what I see either, but I would not want to go back to a time when I had no rights and when minorities were treated even worse than they are now. I would not want to go back to a time when I could not have cataract surgery. I would be blind now. I would not want to go back to a time before a lot of the major diseases had solutions, like measles and polio vaccines. I had a friend in high school who was crippled by polio. I would not have known some of the dear people I loved so much because I would have had no opportunity to meet them. They added so much to my life. Plus I would not have had the educational opportunities that transformed my life.
Female emancipation is a two-edged sword. Yes, we have more freedom to choose what we do with our lives but, these days, more is expected of women. Some of us would rather like to go back to a time when the man of the house took responsibility for everything.

Female emancipation is a two-edged sword. Yes, we have more freedom to choose what we do with our lives but, these days, more is expected of women. Some of us would rather like to go back to a time when the man of the house took responsibility for everything.
And that gives a man a lot of power. Men beat women then and they had no options to escape it. That is not a better place. It is worse. It turns women into children.

What intrigued me about this film was all the telephone poles and not one wire between them. I saw an old film of Russia back sometime in the early 1800s and they had the same thing. Makes one wonder about electricity and its transmission back then.

Back